Topographical terms and descriptions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tuff4x4

Re: Topographical terms and descriptions

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Bump...I like pictures

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:59 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Great stuff Ninja. So how do the deer bed in relation to the "thermal hub"? Staying with that diagram and the falling thermal (in the evening right), where are the beds and where would you hunt it, also the approach would be good.

Thanks

Based on the 2 convex hubs and the thermal hub...I would bet all I have that there are mature buck beds in the spots I have marked in yellow....I would have to walk this piece of land to know where I would set up and how I would enter it.

I wish Autumn Ninja was still around to explain why those particular spots in yellow are so good.
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:58 am

I wish he was as well so he could keep dropping some knowledge on this hill country thread.

I'll take 2 simple stabs at those yellow spots. 1) Possible prevailing winds (West and Southeast) and 2) These small knobs / points are really close to the thermal hub, so it's just a short drop into the hub after getting out of the bed in the evening (I vaguely remember this being mentioned at some point).
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:56 am

Bump for a good thread. Does anyone have the fully marked up map saved that they could post up here?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:09 am

xpauliber wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Great stuff Ninja. So how do the deer bed in relation to the "thermal hub"? Staying with that diagram and the falling thermal (in the evening right), where are the beds and where would you hunt it, also the approach would be good.

Thanks

Based on the 2 convex hubs and the thermal hub...I would bet all I have that there are mature buck beds in the spots I have marked in yellow....I would have to walk this piece of land to know where I would set up and how I would enter it.

I wish Autumn Ninja was still around to explain why those particular spots in yellow are so good.

Spots in yellow are good because they are closest in proximity to the thermal hub. He mentioned it on one of the first pages.

Pictures are visible to me :think:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 am

Jonny wrote:Pictures are visible to me :think:

Must be my internet security at work...maybe they prefer I not be looking at pics on forums during the day :lol:
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:52 pm

I have studied and studied this thread over the past few weeks. I have read everything through several times and have then applied the principles by doing some cyber scouting. Question, do high crow's feet/hubs almost always exist where a source of water begins or at least somewhere near the headwaters of a stream? Except for some strange geological formations it seems this would be necessary b/c the erosion from the stream is what creates a sculpted out lower elevation and thus the hub...or is my logic flawed?
Can't wait to hit the woods in a few days to check some spots.
Thanks, in advance, for any replies to my question!
Halonhunter6

Unread postby Halonhunter6 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:48 am

Bumping this thread as I think I may have a possible thermal hub. I would like some others input. The area circled is what I have the question of the thermal hub. I have not scouted it yet just found it online. I’m not necessarily looking for possible sit ups just trying to see if I getting her grasp of them. Thanks
9C9E9600-BFDB-4ADC-AF94-28243063BD6E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:04 am

Halonhunter6 wrote:Bumping this thread as I think I may have a possible thermal hub. I would like some others input. The area circled is what I have the question of the thermal hub. I have not scouted it yet just found it online. I’m not necessarily looking for possible sit ups just trying to see if I getting her grasp of them. Thanks 9C9E9600-BFDB-4ADC-AF94-28243063BD6E.jpeg

That looks like a great spot. I was recently talking with former autumn ninja on FB and he explained social hubs to me. At 9 o'clock on your circle is the social hub. It connected all those ridge. You might find several scrapes and rubs there. Great rut spot. Have you scouted this area on foot? Looks awesome nice find. You could have a lot of fun with that.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Halonhunter6

Unread postby Halonhunter6 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:08 am

No I have not had a chance to scout I Yet. The long skinny ridge is what grabbed my eye. It looked like it might funnel deer down it to the next ridge during the rut. The more I look at the whole area the better it looks. I just saw the ridge gap at the end of the long ridge plus the hub of ridges. I’ll try and get in there soon and see what’s going on.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:33 am

rfickes87 wrote:
Halonhunter6 wrote:Bumping this thread as I think I may have a possible thermal hub. I would like some others input. The area circled is what I have the question of the thermal hub. I have not scouted it yet just found it online. I’m not necessarily looking for possible sit ups just trying to see if I getting her grasp of them. Thanks 9C9E9600-BFDB-4ADC-AF94-28243063BD6E.jpeg

That looks like a great spot. I was recently talking with former autumn ninja on FB and he explained social hubs to me. At 9 o'clock on your circle is the social hub. It connected all those ridge. You might find several scrapes and rubs there. Great rut spot. Have you scouted this area on foot? Looks awesome nice find. You could have a lot of fun with that.

I definitely think you have a hub there. That is a very nice looking location in general. There are points all over the place on that topo map especially in the southwest quadrant. More tiward your circle I think the spot just south and southwest of your circle would be a great spot too. Bucks can bed on the high spots, especially at the eastern end, and have thermal pulling action potentially during the day from either side north and south. As the thermals switch they can drop off either side for dropping evening thermals. I also like the steepness of that location making it have big buck written all over it.
I wish you well.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:23 pm

That is a nice looking spot with 3 long ridges that all converge together.

My main concern is what is the red-dashed line on the map. If that is a road or hiking trail that would allow easy access to that ridge then it may very well see a good bit of hunting pressure. Definitely a spot that I would like to walk and look at in person. Let us know what you find.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:33 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Buy the book "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon. It's a great read and deals a lot with using a topo map and terrain features. He explains all the features your wanting to know about.

X2 one of my best spots for gun season is a hilltop field funnel. I love that book.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
ChaseTM
Facebook: Facebook.com/crewsak

Unread postby ChaseTM » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Is there a way to get the original images in the thread to “re-appear?”
Jsautosource

Unread postby Jsautosource » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:25 am

Even without the pictures this thread is super informative and has helped me a lot. I hunt in western KY on public land and I’m really starting to put a lot of time into learning how to read topographical maps better In order to more effectively hunt mature bucks. Also picking up a lot of good info from you guys on here. I would love to see some more maps and examples if any of you all have the time.
I’ve attached a picture below and marked what I believe would be a thermal hub. I could be totally wrong though. Just trying to figure it all out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”