Topographical terms and descriptions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: Topographical terms and descriptions

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Buy the book "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon. It's a great read and deals a lot with using a topo map and terrain features. He explains all the features your wanting to know about.

X2 great suggestion!! That book is a great read, filled good information.
This thread really covers some main points in greater detail with AN's maps on here.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:45 am

BUMP
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:54 am

Bump

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:18 am

Outstanding thread for hill country. Thank you AutumnNinja for sharing a detailed breakdown of that map. This is my first scouting season and you made my day...week . Hope your season went well.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Excellent lesson here in addition to the hill country DVD.
I feel my scouting this year will be a lot more productive.
Thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Excellent post and explanation, I had to look it over several times to get it. Amazing how when you really look at a topo the land features really pop out in hill country.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:55 am

Cool thread. Thanks for sharing the info !!!!! Learned a lot here.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:07 pm

I ordered "Mapping Trophy Bucks"

I'm starting to treat topos posted by members as quizzes...make some marks and look at the responses of others.

If I get good at predicting likely bedding on ridges that will give me a game plan for still-hunting just above likely buck bedding areas.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:10 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:I ordered "Mapping Trophy Bucks"

I'm starting to treat topos posted by members as quizzes...make some marks and look at the responses of others.

If I get good at predicting likely bedding on ridges that will give me a game plan for still-hunting just above likely buck bedding areas.

Great book you'll love it! Great idea on marking up the maps like a quiz!! 8-)

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:20 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:I ordered "Mapping Trophy Bucks"

I do a similar thing. When someone posts a map asking for help I try to pick the most likely beds before Dan or other more experienced beasts mark it. I then compare to see how I did. Sometimes really good sometimes not as good but a great learning tool.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Wow.

This is the first time I checked back into this thread since page 1.

Autumn Ninja- Tons of respect.

If/when I get to hunt hill country you just cut my learning curve down even further from the hill HCB DVD, which I didn't think was possible.

Pure Awesome.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:18 am

Awesome thread, wanted to bump this up in relation to the one I had just recently started. One thing I am not certain of is would the direction of the food source make much difference in relation to the where the buck would bed? I would think that like any living creature, especially an older one like a mature buck, that they will seek to expend the least amount of energy possible, especially early season, while also bedding in the most secure location. In early season when it is hot, if not highly pressured, would they tend to bed in a way that sacrifices security in favor of expending less energy, i.e., less of a walk or an easier walk to an ag field or does security and wind detection almost always trump everything else? I say almost always because i know there are no certainties in mature buck hunting.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:40 am

mheichelbech wrote:Awesome thread, wanted to bump this up in relation to the one I had just recently started. One thing I am not certain of is would the direction of the food source make much difference in relation to the where the buck would bed? I would think that like any living creature, especially an older one like a mature buck, that they will seek to expend the least amount of energy possible, especially early season, while also bedding in the most secure location. In early season when it is hot, if not highly pressured, would they tend to bed in a way that sacrifices security in favor of expending less energy, i.e., less of a walk or an easier walk to an ag field or does security and wind detection almost always trump everything else? I say almost always because i know there are no certainties in mature buck hunting.

I think in summer and winter deer will relocate bedding... (that is why bucks tend to have different summer ranges vs fall) but once hunting pressure kicks in secuirity trumps all and they will travel LONG distances bed to food
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 am

Bucky wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:Awesome thread, wanted to bump this up in relation to the one I had just recently started. One thing I am not certain of is would the direction of the food source make much difference in relation to the where the buck would bed? I would think that like any living creature, especially an older one like a mature buck, that they will seek to expend the least amount of energy possible, especially early season, while also bedding in the most secure location. In early season when it is hot, if not highly pressured, would they tend to bed in a way that sacrifices security in favor of expending less energy, i.e., less of a walk or an easier walk to an ag field or does security and wind detection almost always trump everything else? I say almost always because i know there are no certainties in mature buck hunting.

I think in summer and winter deer will relocate bedding... (that is why bucks tend to have different summer ranges vs fall) but once hunting pressure kicks in secuirity trumps all and they will travel LONG distances bed to food

I generally agree. Only exception is late October - End of November when staging beds pick up use; however predicting use is very difficult without obervation due to nomadic nature of bucks during this period. Some bucks will always pick security.

woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:08 am

Before I say anything else, this is a gem of a thread! This sent me on a topo/aerial photo bender, all week!

Question:

Do you guys think that bucks will do, for lack of a better term, "hub hopping"? What I mean is, say you have a series of these high crow's feet between where a buck beds and a bean field 1 mile away. Looking at some topos showing this sort of set up, I'm thinking a buck could hang out in a thermal hub then take the shortest/easiest route up and out of that hub and into the next one. From a buck's perspective, it seems like they could hop, hub to hub, until they reach food, using the falling evening thermals in each hub to get scent info. Seems it could work for the buck, regardless of prevailing wind direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”