Topographical terms and descriptions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Autumn Ninja

Re: Topographical terms and descriptions

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Though the two (convex) hubs are big players in this map, the high crows foot is the key "the thermal HUB".

A bit about the "thermal hub"...After explaning how a high crows foot works (thermals, bedding, connection)....Deerslayer (here on the beast) called me back a couple days later and said...you should call it a "thermal hub"....So he will always get some credit in my eyes.

Anyway...a high crows foot, or "thermal hub" is where the thermals fall...when the wind calms and the air cools down in the evening and the thermals start to fall, thay pool/fall down into these high crows feet. In green>>

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Great stuff Ninja. So how do the deer bed in relation to the "thermal hub"? Staying with that diagram and the falling thermal (in the evening right), where are the beds and where would you hunt it, also the approach would be good.

Thanks
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Topography creates funnals, the path of least resistance from point "A" to point "B"...this is how bucks will most likly travel (red lines)....through this thermal hub.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Great stuff Ninja. So how do the deer bed in relation to the "thermal hub"? Staying with that diagram and the falling thermal (in the evening right), where are the beds and where would you hunt it, also the approach would be good.

Thanks

Based on the 2 convex hubs and the thermal hub...I would bet all I have that there are mature buck beds in the spots I have marked in yellow....I would have to walk this piece of land to know where I would set up and how I would enter it.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Great stuff Ninja. So how do the deer bed in relation to the "thermal hub"? Staying with that diagram and the falling thermal (in the evening right), where are the beds and where would you hunt it, also the approach would be good.

Thanks

Blind hunts would go alot like this (black)....wind and cover permiting of course.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Enough about convex and thermal hubs on this map....the (green) areas are high eadges...buck bedding areas.

The blue ares are HIGH % buck bedding areas.

Based on the convex and thermal hubs...the yellow is the hightest %'age area for mature buck bedding.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Autumn,

You are a hill hunting master!! Very awesome info!! This flat land guy has a lot to learn.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:11 am

Ninja, thanks for taking the time to put the maps together. 8-)
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:09 pm

dan wrote:Ninja, thanks for taking the time to put the maps together. 8-)
Im just glad I can add something to this great site...sorry about my little melt down.

Worked over 80 hours this week and not looking at another day off untill May 6th...and thats just maybe. :(
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
dan wrote:Ninja, thanks for taking the time to put the maps together. 8-)
Im just glad I can add something to this great site...sorry about my little melt down.

Worked over 80 hours this week and not looking at another day off untill May 6th...and thats just maybe. :(

Thanks! Your maps are very helpful!
go DEEP or go HOME
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:46 am

Very cool. Thanks for the maps. Have you hunted this area or plan to hunt it in the future? If you did hunt it, how did you fare?

I have seen those "bowls" (thermal hub) before and thought they would be a tough area to hunt, but should be a safe area for a buck. Question- in one of these hubs, say you're hunting the area one evening and you scent obviously swirls and is taken down into this area where a big buck catches your scent. Where does the buck go? Do you think he knows exactly where you are, or just knows you're in the vicinity and doesn't make a move until he can't smell you any longer?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun May 05, 2013 11:18 am

huntinsonovagun wrote: Have you hunted this area or plan to hunt it in the future?
No.

I have seen those "bowls" (thermal hub) before and thought they would be a tough area to hunt, but should be a safe area for a buck.
Yes, thats why he bed's there.

Question- in one of these hubs, say you're hunting the area one evening and you scent obviously is taken down into this area where a big buck catches your scent. Where does the buck go?

I dont know...never been there.

Do you think he knows exactly where you are

Yes, he knows (exactly) where Im at with a fallig thermal...
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Bumping this because I was searching for some threads for the Big woods topic that was just posted and I came across this great thread.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:49 pm

xpauliber wrote:Bumping this because I was searching for some threads for the Big woods topic that was just posted and I came across this great thread.

Thanks for bumping this thread!

When looking at maps posted, I always am curious as to how the "map masters" determine what the best percetage bedding areas are. As Autumn Ninja posted in yellow above.

Would someone take a stab at helping me understand why that area in the thermal hub would be best buck bedding potential.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:44 pm

these are great hill country examples. The thermal hub without this information would be missed by me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”