Wind and Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Wind and Bedding

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:56 am

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but it's something I've been wondering about. How will changing winds affect deer bedding? What I mean by this is I've noticed that on alot of days the wind will start out in one direction and switch to another direction in the afternoon. Do deer bed in regards to where the wind is in the morning? Or will they bed in regards to where the wind will blow in the evening? Will they change their bedding location half way through the day?

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Wind and Bedding

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:18 am

In the Hill country DVD, they state that Bucks will switch sides of a ridge when the wind changes. So, I would say yes in some (most) case they will. If where they are bedding has other advantages, such as sight or noise, they may not.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 am

They can't predict actual wind changes so they bed based on the wind when they bed... They do bed based on what the thermal winds will do as the sun heats the valleys...
As Squirrel said, they will get up and move short distances within there "safe zone" but they won't move long distances most of the time.
If you know of a wind based bed that does not have secondary beds for other winds nearby, these can be spots to wait for that changing wind and then set up. My highest scoring buck was shot on Thanksgiving day when the wind changed midday leaving the buck vulnerable. I left my family at the dinner table knowing where he was bedded and crawled right up to his bed and shot him at close range...
Here is a link to the article about that hunt:
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1349
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Great article Dan!
If the wind changes and a buck feels vulnerable, he likely will shift his bed if a better one is nearby. This includes super dense cover areas such as a cedar swamp. He might not go very far, but he'll get up and move to a bed that protects him better- bank on it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Bridge... Very true that they will move if they can... But not far. Thats not always an option though, like the buck in the article. Thats why its important to know those bedding areas inside out from your spring scouting...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Well stated, Dan- scouting is the ticket. I really admire how you took it to the buck in the article- dedication / perseverance / patience etc. The best part- instead of giving up with difficult circumstances you DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT when the conditions best favored your actions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”