Shooting a doe with her fawns ???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dreaming bucks

Shooting a doe with her fawns ???

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:22 am

Not sure if this topic has been covered here or not, sorry if it has.... I'm just wondering how you guys and gals feel about shooting a doe that is with her fawns yet ?

Last year I needed to shoot a doe to get my buck tag, and for the meat ( I was all out of venison). I had a doe come through with her fawns and I shot the doe ( bow season). At first I was so glad I got my doe for the year, fresh venison in the freezer and now have my buck tag. But then I started to feel a little guilty for taking these two fawns mother away from them.. I mean, they were good size fawns already, and I sure hope they survived without there Mom for the rest of the fall and winter... I don't know, I guess I shouldn't let it bother me, but just wondering how the rest of you feel about this topic ???

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Shooting a doe with her fawns ???

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:12 am

Fawns will be just fine and can make It on their own when most deer seasons open. It don't bother me none people shooting a doe with fawns. Been there and done It.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:15 am

Dreaming Bucks,
I feel the same way as you do about shooting a doe with a fawn or fawns. Early in the season I have noticed a few still nursing and I would feel bad shooting the doe.
I'm sure the fawns would be fine but I feel better letting a doe go until later in the season or especially late season before I shoot one.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:24 am

I too have shot a doe with fawns. Earn a buck was responsible for that one. I don't have a big problem with it though, the fawns survived, because I saw them all season long, after I took their mother. The fawns are perfectly cable of surviving on the their own, maybe not as smart as if mom was able to give them a full education.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:40 am

I would have no problem shooting a doe with fawns. The white doe I shot last year had a brown fawn that hung around until me and chad caried mama away.
I know it sounds crule. But they will get by, and learn a lesson or two about humans when mom gets whacked...
I read about a research project that said buck fawns will get kicked out by the mama doe when she starts to go into heat and most the time will locate off of the property you hunt, but the research showed that buck fawns whose mother was shot before rut would stay on the property.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:45 am

Just another personal choice, there is really no right or wrong........

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 am

I let the arrow fly with no concerns to the fawns. I've heard the same thing as Dan, mature does will push the button bucks off the property when they come into heat. If you shoot the does, the buttons stick around and grow up for a future target.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:28 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I too have shot a doe with fawns. Earn a buck was responsible for that one. I don't have a big problem with it though, the fawns survived, because I saw them all season long, after I took their mother. The fawns are perfectly cable of surviving on the their own, maybe not as smart as if mom was able to give them a full education.

I see it the same way. The fawns are capable of surviving physically, but are still learning about things like predator evasion. I try not to shoot them unless there is at least one more adult in the group, but I have shot a single doe with fawns several times. Often times other does will take them in. I have watched this process happen and it's cool to see all the cautious smelling and checking each other out. I have watched it play out over a few days up to two weeks, but usually they just show up with a different group one day.

I have noticed about half of the fawns seem to get accepted into other groups and about 70% of the remaining half seem to disappear one by one. By predators I think.

If I was in an EAB area I don't think I would be waiting around for a different doe.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:53 am

In northern WI I would not. I don't shoot does up there period and a fawn or fawns running around without mama are just more susseptible to predators! Different story in the CWD slaughter zone and the EAB areas though. There I guess I would do what I had to do.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 am

I've done it. I feel sorry for the fawn come gun season tho. They don't have much of a chance in areas that get some hunting pressure. That's the life of a deer
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:34 pm

matt1336 wrote:I've done it. I feel sorry for the fawn come gun season tho. They don't have much of a chance in areas that get some hunting pressure. That's the life of a deer

Yeah a dumb fawn running around during gun season is a easy kill for someone!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I've done it. I feel sorry for the fawn come gun season tho. They don't have much of a chance in areas that get some hunting pressure. That's the life of a deer

Yeah a dumb fawn running around during gun season is a easy kill for someone!

Actually, I believe that if a buck fawn is orphaned early he can learn a little bit about hiding and avoiding danger... But if mom is around she will kick him out about 2 weeks before gun season and he will be wandering around stupid during gun season anyway... And fawn does seem to just join another doe group.
The timing of Wisconsins gun season in my opinion is a huge factor in why the percentage of antlerless deer shot for earn-a-buck is nearly 50% buck fawns. Every buck fawn that just got kicked out by the doe is wandering around the woods trying to find his own bedding areas in new territory, trying to find new food sources, and feeling scared and rejected.
Then fill the woods up with trigger happy weekend warriors and tell them they have to shoot an antlerless deer before shooting a buck...
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:12 pm

It's good to shoot the doe first, you will have a better chance of whacking a fawn too. If you shoot a fawn first the doe will bolt.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 am

I have shot doe's late in the rifle season that have had yearlings with them.From a biological perspective they are more than capable of surviving.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:13 am

I have no problem shooting does with fawns, so long as the fawns are no longer spotted, a few years ago on opening weekend I had a doe with 2 spotted fawns come by me, just seems to me a spotted fawn might still be relying on mommmas milk...........

As for killing does with buck fawns, back in 2006 I killed every doe I saw with buck fawns, the following year we had an unusual number of 1.5 year old bucks on the property and subsequent years there seemed to be more 2.5 and 3.5 and so on..........I had planned on continuing the process the next few years, but the following year the antlerless population was down (a nieghbor had taken 40 anterless deer the season prior) and so I limited my doe take.
Bowhunter4ever!!!!!!!!

Visit my website

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”