How to hunt a corridor.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

How to hunt a corridor.

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:54 pm

I kind of touched on this in another thread but thought it would be a good topic for a new thread.
The bucks will use the corridor(yellow) and travel east and west on it. The trick is to try and ambush the buck as he enters the corridor from the south (red). The good part is if he doesn't come out where expected, you still have a chance as he travels the corridor. You must not walk the corridor or your chances diminish considerably. I don't have permission to hunt where the buck is bedding. I hunted this corridor and killed a nice buck in 2004. I hunted the western most stand site. The buck didn't come out there but walked the corridor from the east.

Wind: From the south, North is to the top of the picture.
Yellow: is the corridor bucks will be traveling.
Red: is the bucks approach to the corridor.
Orange: is the hunters approach to the 3 stand sites.
White: are stand sites.

Buck I arrowed in 2004

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Re: How to hunt a corridor.

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:50 pm

That's my favorite way to hunt deer.
The funny point for me, is that exactly the same tactic for Roe deer. 8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Nice post Stan... I love actual examples of how certain bucks were shot.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:33 am

Stanley wrote:I kind of touched on this in another thread but thought it would be a good topic for a new thread.
The bucks will use the corridor(yellow) and travel east and west on it. The trick is to try and ambush the buck as he enters the corridor from the south (red). The good part is if he doesn't come out where expected, you still have a chance as he travels the corridor. You must not walk the corridor or your chances diminish considerably. I don't have permission to hunt where the buck is bedding. I hunted this corridor and killed a nice buck in 2004. I hunted the western most stand site. The buck didn't come out there but walked the corridor from the east.

Wind: From the south, North is to the top of the picture.
Yellow: is the corridor bucks will be traveling.
Red: is the bucks approach to the corridor.
Orange: is the hunters approach to the 3 stand sites.
White: are stand sites.

Buck I arrowed in 2004

You actually are keeping that corridor trimmed, correct?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:46 am

What's the difference between a corridor and an edge???
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 am

Spysar wrote:What's the difference between a corridor and an edge???

I think he is calling it a "corridor" cause the path between the corn and woods creates a trail...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 am

Clevinger wrote:

You actually are keeping that corridor trimmed, correct?

This particular corridor the farmer actually keeps it maintained. Big machinery needs room to move around so he keeps that timber line cleared up. I haven't hunted that corridor for about 5 years. I'm thinking about putting up a stand this spring for this fall. I'm just getting too old to haul a stand and sticks that far. I had a trail camera up in the corridor last year and the camera intel tells me it's ripe for the picking.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:04 am

Good question, I consider a corridor two distinct edges that are close enough to form a secluded channel for deer to travel. Once the corn is picked the corridor disappears and becomes an edge. In most cases I would not hunt a field edge. Big bucks in open fields are rare(daylight). The more secluded the corridor the more big bucks will use it (daylight). Some corridors are permanent and some are temporary.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 am

Stanley wrote:

Good question, I consider a corridor two distinct edges that are close enough to form a secluded channel for deer to travel. Once the corn is picked the corridor disappears and becomes an edge. In most cases I would not hunt a field edge. Big bucks in open fields are rare(daylight). The more secluded the corridor the more big bucks will use it (daylight). Some corridors are permanent and some are temporary.

See? You learn something everyday. Nice explaination.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 am

dan wrote:

I think he is calling it a "corridor" cause the path between the corn and woods creates a trail...

That is pretty much correct.
I consider a corridor an enclosed passageway (able to travel sight unseen). A trail is more of an open passageway. This is my own terminology. The magazines may call it something different. I would consider a passageway through tall marsh grass a corridor. I would consider a passageway through a bean field a trail.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:32 am

Shot in the same exact setup as Stan describes... exactly the same :D

I will add if you find a set like Stans that has a tree line that hits perdendicular to that cooridor and forms an inside corner it makes the setup even better. You can actually set your stand then to the North of cooridor with a South wind and run very little risk of being winded. In Stan's set you have to be careful of the wind you use...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:43 am

Bucky wrote:Shot in the same exact setup as Stan describes... exactly the same :D

I will add if you find a set like Stans that has a tree line that hits perdendicular to that cooridor and forms an inside corner it makes the setup even better. You can actually set your stand then to the North of cooridor with a South wind and run very little risk of being winded. In Stan's set you have to be careful of the wind you use...

Yep, those set ups are killers if hunted properly. Nice buck, Bucky
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:55 am

Good info, thanks.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:48 am

I love my farms in il because my farmer has crp grass along the edge of the fields & crops & it creates the corridor affect being talked about, especially on years when it's corn. The bad part is the crops get picked early so I usually can't hunt them. Still if the grass is tall enough & with the field being picked corn the deer still will use it during daylight, just not as much as when the corn is up. Ill try to post some pics later.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 am

Good thread! Also love seeing maps and how a particular deer went down. Waiting for Bucky to post up his map and hero shot of that deer he posted! :D

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”