How to hunt a corridor.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Re: How to hunt a corridor.

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:42 pm

I have a question in regards to this. Where I hunt every other year we have corn on two sides of the woods and it makes really good hunting early. I say early because I have always over hunted it always hunting the same few stands. But after much reading i wont be like that this year. What if i only have two ways back to the woods? We have a two track between two fields that lead to he front sw corner of the woods and at that point we can walk down the west side or the south side. My question is how much is to much pressure in areas like this ? The deer do use the lane to and once the fields are done it its a yard where i park and they cross the street into a river bottom area.
Where my stand is in the front in that corridor is about 50 yrds from bedding and me busting through corn to corn to get to that stand probably isnt a great idea. My stand is in that place due to a hole in a old fence but not that spot just got opened up because they cut some trees out in the woods. The area between the corn and the woods stays pretty tight but the deer do love it . I just want to figure out if i should hang a camera or let it be till the perfect day in the fall and climb in and hope for the best

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Hanging a couple cameras early August mid day wont hurt a thing if you're staying out of the timber. Better if you can coincide your trips in with rain that day or soon after. Best if you could do it with one of the landowners farm implements.

I have a couple cam spots that I drive right up to with the landowners Polaris, deer know it and are used to it
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:52 am

Thanks. I do keep the two track mowed down all summer. I may hang one right where i stop with the mower just to see whats going across with me cutting grass. I actually might be shocked what comes across
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:18 am

If you use a mower to check cameras they wont freak out as much as you walking back in there. It sounds weird but I have been on my zero turn and had deer 50 yards away feeding on a trail I am mowing. They just kind of trot off and then continue on with their business after you leave. Just don't get off the mower and start walking around in the woods, they won't like that.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:55 am

I am going to give it a try. Normally on the front side farmer plants to closer for me to get anything back there but the west side i am going to set some up with the mower and see. Right now i have a few cameras up just because just about every weekend i am scouting and going over every inch of the woods
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:58 am

Stanley wrote:I kind of touched on this in another thread but thought it would be a good topic for a new thread.
The bucks will use the corridor(yellow) and travel east and west on it. The trick is to try and ambush the buck as he enters the corridor from the south (red). The good part is if he doesn't come out where expected, you still have a chance as he travels the corridor. You must not walk the corridor or your chances diminish considerably. I don't have permission to hunt where the buck is bedding. I hunted this corridor and killed a nice buck in 2004. I hunted the western most stand site. The buck didn't come out there but walked the corridor from the east.

Wind: From the south, North is to the top of the picture.
Yellow: is the corridor bucks will be traveling.
Red: is the bucks approach to the corridor.
Orange: is the hunters approach to the 3 stand sites.
White: are stand sites.

Buck I arrowed in 2004

I cant see the photo, its fogged out and says photo bucket??
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Yeh that was a photobucket thing where they were free and then held everyone's pics hostage for payment. Your just going to have to study this threads words careful, what a great bit of information. Another BEAST gem, and blast from the past from Stanley. Wow.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:46 am

Bump
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Scouting season is upon on us! This is a great beast classic! I personally have struggled with farm land hunting and this thread has shown my weak link has been accessing through corridors or within sight of the deer...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”