The importance of first time sits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: The importance of first time sits

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:27 am

dan wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:If it's rut I don't think it matters quite as much due the chance that the deer you shoot will not be a local buck...
Play the wind, preferably a cross wind and get as high as possible, should help the odds...

Bed hunting it matters a lot!

Matters less? yes... But, I have certainly seen a decrease in sightings during rut hunting the same stands multiple times.

Agree, it matters a little less but over-hunting can still have a big impact depending on the situation. If you alter doe traffic or activity with a couple sloppy entrances/exits or deer are getting your scent, the buck encounters will drop off dramatically.

A rut funnel that connects doe bedding with doe bedding would be an example of a situation you can probably get away with a few extra hunts. The does typically aren't going back and forth to various bedding areas so you likely won't be impacting their movement. Various bucks could potentially come through and you could have multiple encounters if you're in a good area.

On the other hand, a rut funnel connecting doe bedding to a food source is much more sensitive. The does will be using these funnels regularly and any impact you have on their movements though this area will directly impact your buck sightings.

There are so many variables, situations, terrain/habitat differences when it comes to this topic.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:20 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
dan wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:If it's rut I don't think it matters quite as much due the chance that the deer you shoot will not be a local buck...
Play the wind, preferably a cross wind and get as high as possible, should help the odds...

Matters less? yes... But, I have certainly seen a decrease in sightings during rut hunting the same stands multiple times.

Agree, it matters a little less but over-hunting can still have a big impact depending on the situation. If you alter doe traffic or activity with a couple sloppy entrances/exits or deer are getting your scent, the buck encounters will drop off dramatically.

A rut funnel that connects doe bedding with doe bedding would be an example of a situation you can probably get away with a few extra hunts. The does typically aren't going back and forth to various bedding areas so you likely won't be impacting their movement. Various bucks could potentially come through and you could have multiple encounters if you're in a good area.

On the other hand, a rut funnel connecting doe bedding to a food source is much more sensitive. The does will be using these funnels regularly and any impact you have on their movements though this area will directly impact your buck sightings.

There are so many variables, situations, terrain/habitat differences when it comes to this topic.

Totally agree with this! I used to have a little creek flat I could hunt that was a great pinch and connected two very large areas both with food and lots of bedding areas. If you played the wind right for the specific spot, which set-up well for prevailing winds, you could hunt it a ton and still see mature deer pretty often. Good clean access and just a spot they had to go through out cruising. Open farmland for about a mile south and 1/4 mile north with a major highway to the north as well. The kind of spot that is diagrammed in magazine articles and you assume it's exaggerated because it is such a good funnel. Early season it would get burned out, but from the last week of October through mid November it was great and never really showed much sign of going cold from over hunting.

Ended up losing the spot as older folks passed away and connections became more distant to access. Bummer to lose, but in some ways it was a bit of a crutch and kind of led me here and to becoming a much better hunter overall. Of course I never understood it nearly as well then when I could hunt it as I do now. Just new it was a funnel and we saw deer. Probably my biggest what-if spot as far as being able to hunt it now with much better skills. Biggest thing would have been strategic all days sits. That was firmly in my morning evening even during the rut phase, because that's just what my dad and grandpa did...I had started doing all day rut suits the last year I had permission and kicked myself for being so dumb just based on spending two days sitting there. Ended up shooting a 2.5 year old 9, but saw three different mature deer in two days I couldn't get as hot at and had a buddy get busted drawing on a 150 ish deer the next morning after I shot mine.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 am

I agree with RR7 and Joe RE. I try to sit fresh trees even if they are 50 yards or so apart. However, I also pay attention to how overall pressure in their core area can take a toll. I usually will hunt a particular buck's core are 2-3 times (these will be in different trees possibly on different entry/exit trails or water, etc.... then I usually give him a rest of one-two weeks.

For instance, in my journal I talk about a nice buck I am pursuing called stickers. I have his main core area located and it is a big block of nastiness that is several hundred acres. He has four primary bedding areas in this core and rotates freely between them. In each of these bedding areas he uses multiple beds as far as I can tell and most are wind specific. I have over 30 trees prepped in that core area. Most are on morning and evening entry/exit trails, a couple staging areas and a few water holes, and then some edge stuff. I have no problem hunting that 3-5 times in a row as I can really move around the perimeter a lot without pressuring him too much. Last year I got some coon dogs on trail camera in Mid October - Stickers went completely nocturnal and I only had two pictures of him during the rut. I never laid eyes on him. The pressure was too much and he adjusted not by moving to a new area which would then make him still huntable, but by going nocturnal.

Each buck is different and some will tolerate human presence differently. Stickers doesn't like it very much. He will tolerate a little around the perimeter of his core area but when those dogs and men entered his sanctuary he went nocturnal. I thought he was dead until I got the two pics later.

If I find really hot rutting sign I have no problem sitting the same area on multiple hunts. I have a couple tight funnel stands that I have no problem sitting for a few days in a row if the winds stay consistent. I also have no problem being mobile and going after the same buck on multiple days by tree hopping..... but I also keep in mind how much I am overall pressuring a general area. For weekend hunting not a problem, but if you are hunting every day I believe it is best to give an area a good rest after two to three days of hunting.

Stickers is definitely my #1 buck for 2016 but I have not had a picture of him day or night since mid December.... hoping all the ducks hunters just has him laying low somewhere I am not monitoring. Then there is a new kid on the block called Crabby - I know very little about him except he likes to have his picture taken and I am good with that :)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:22 am

dan wrote:

It's all about the does. If they pick you off even during the rut it's game over.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:56 am

Kraftd wrote:
Ridgerunner7 wrote:
dan wrote:

Totally agree with this! I used to have a little creek flat I could hunt that was a great pinch and connected two very large areas both with food and lots of bedding areas. If you played the wind right for the specific spot, which set-up well for prevailing winds, you could hunt it a ton and still see mature deer pretty often. Good clean access and just a spot they had to go through out cruising. Open farmland for about a mile south and 1/4 mile north with a major highway to the north as well. The kind of spot that is diagrammed in magazine articles and you assume it's exaggerated because it is such a good funnel. Early season it would get burned out, but from the last week of October through mid November it was great and never really showed much sign of going cold from over hunting.

Ended up losing the spot as older folks passed away and connections became more distant to access. Bummer to lose, but in some ways it was a bit of a crutch and kind of led me here and to becoming a much better hunter overall. Of course I never understood it nearly as well then when I could hunt it as I do now. Just new it was a funnel and we saw deer. Probably my biggest what-if spot as far as being able to hunt it now with much better skills. Biggest thing would have been strategic all days sits. That was firmly in my morning evening even during the rut phase, because that's just what my dad and grandpa did...I had started doing all day rut suits the last year I had permission and kicked myself for being so dumb just based on spending two days sitting there. Ended up shooting a 2.5 year old 9, but saw three different mature deer in two days I couldn't get as hot at and had a buddy get busted drawing on a 150 ish deer the next morning after I shot mine.

This is how I killed my 2013 Buck in my avatar...
3-nights later another buck, twice the size, was within 15-yards and all I had was an Antlerless tag - ouch, wish I grabbed my bow instead of the shotgun; still had a buck tag for the bow...

Suburban connector parcels are gold once you figure them out...

I'll post a vid of my 6-point miss due to my shirt getting caught in my string :oops:
As well as a map to show how it worked for me.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:33 am

Of all the great threads on the Beast on different scenarios, I think this one maybe the most important for inexperienced hunters or those trying to improve their skills on killing mature bucks.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:24 pm

This is a great thread and so much truth in it. I know I've said it on the site before but this was a big turning point in hunting for me in hunting bigger deer. I struggled with this cause I used to want to be perched in a tree near the most sign I could find. I had my spots and it was so tough to leave them. As I learned more and more in hunting mature animals (most of which I learned the hard way) I realized that I had to keep my hunts fresh. Once I put this into play my success really went up. It's so important and I believe that so many people do struggle with this. I would honestly say 80 plus percent of the bucks I've killed over the years were taken on the first sits. Was fortunate to be able to harvest 5 bucks this season and everyone was taken on the first sit in that area. Just a very important piece of the puzzle Here. Keep a fresh hunt and your odds of killing mature deer will soar!

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm

I've had luck on 1st and 2nd time sits only when I look back at my most successful hunts. Sometimes the 2nd sit was a Slight move though.

My biggest buck came on a 2nd sit. I was walking in and the sign couldn't be ignored. I'm sure it worked out because of the changes in early season food source and he simply wasn't using the bed when I went in first time. Don't ignore sign.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:19 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Last year I got some coon dogs on trail camera in Mid October - Stickers went completely nocturnal and I only had two pictures of him during the rut.

Its interesting that you mention that. In my experience coon hunters running dogs is one thing that can destroy deer activity literally overnight. Dogs ROUTINELY go across property lines too - I know because I coon hunted a fair bit in the past, so if you hunt private or public where coon hunting is not supposed to be allowed it can still affect you if a neighbor allows it. Its not a huge problem right now with low fur prices but every time fur prices go up I see this affect some spots I deer hunt. Its actually something I factor in when I know fur prices are high, scouting even more ground because more will get burned out by coon hunters. Its very hard to detect this is a problem where you hunt other than a sudden complete lack of deer sign - unless you are out and about at night and see/hear guys doing it or get something on cam like Dave did.

I didn't mean this as a rip on coon hunters, just something every hard core deer hunter needs to keep in mind as a potential big deer movement factor. Sorry for the tangent, just thought I would bring it up.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:38 am

JoeRE wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Last year I got some coon dogs on trail camera in Mid October - Stickers went completely nocturnal and I only had two pictures of him during the rut.

Its interesting that you mention that. In my experience coon hunters running dogs is one thing that can destroy deer activity literally overnight. Dogs ROUTINELY go across property lines too - I know because I coon hunted a fair bit in the past, so if you hunt private or public where coon hunting is not supposed to be allowed it can still affect you if a neighbor allows it. Its not a huge problem right now with low fur prices but every time fur prices go up I see this affect some spots I deer hunt. Its actually something I factor in when I know fur prices are high, scouting even more ground because more will get burned out by coon hunters. Its very hard to detect this is a problem where you hunt other than a sudden complete lack of deer sign - unless you are out and about at night and see/hear guys doing it or get something on cam like Dave did.

I didn't mean this as a rip on coon hunters, just something every hard core deer hunter needs to keep in mind as a potential big deer movement factor. Sorry for the tangent, just thought I would bring it up.

I had to give up on a great looking river bottom due to the neighbors dogs running the deer out of there. I got a couple pics of them during summer, and later on came across running tracks of a deer followed by dog tracks. Frustrating.

It's one of those things to keep in mind if there's a farm place near by. Especially if they have multiple dogs, they tend to run.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:46 am

I was hunting a farm a friend of mine owns back in 2007. I had a buck patterned and set up on him for an evening hunt. Buck didn't show up but the neighbors 4 dogs did. Next day I hunted a different set on the same property. No bucks and the 4 dogs came by again. I was not too happy and called the guy and told him his dogs were messing up my hunting could he please keep them at home. He said he would put them in the barn.

Next day I killed an 11 point buck, out of the same set I hunted the first day. If the buck doesn't make it to your set up on the first hunt no reason not to give it another sit if the conditions are right. I would not of hunted that set again if I wasn't confident the dogs cut the buck off before the buck got to my set. I do not like hunting the same spot twice and seldom do. That said, if I figure I can kill a buck, I will hunt the same set more than once.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:19 am

Stanley wrote:I was hunting a farm a friend of mine owns back in 2007. I had a buck patterned and set up on him for an evening hunt. Buck didn't show up but the neighbors 4 dogs did. Next day I hunted a different set on the same property. No bucks and the 4 dogs came by again. I was not too happy and called the guy and told him his dogs were messing up my hunting could he please keep them at home. He said he would put them in the barn.

Next day I killed an 11 point buck, out of the same set I hunted the first day. If the buck doesn't make it to your set up on the first hunt no reason not to give it another sit if the conditions are right. I would not of hunted that set again if I wasn't confident the dogs cut the buck off before the buck got to my set. I do not like hunting the same spot twice and seldom do. That said, if I figure I can kill a buck, I will hunt the same set more than once.

Raises a good question...if you don't think the buck came by your set that day and you had good entry/exit could you still consider a fresh stand? Obviously it's possible he could come through at night or another time when not there but if your a weekend hunter and not coming back until the next week is that a blown spot/tree?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:23 am

There is a big difference between a farmers dog walking through woods and a coon hound running game though. Most coon hunters hit woods repeatedly. I've seen bucks blown out of areas not to return because of hounds running then at night. Each buck is different as far as what they tolerate.

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:23 am

There is a big difference between a farmers dog walking through woods and a coon hound running game though. Most coon hunters hit woods repeatedly. I've seen bucks blown out of areas not to return because of hounds running then at night. Each buck is different as far as what they tolerate.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:55 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Stanley wrote:I was hunting a farm a friend of mine owns back in 2007. I had a buck patterned and set up on him for an evening hunt. Buck didn't show up but the neighbors 4 dogs did. Next day I hunted a different set on the same property. No bucks and the 4 dogs came by again. I was not too happy and called the guy and told him his dogs were messing up my hunting could he please keep them at home. He said he would put them in the barn.

Raises a good question...if you don't think the buck came by your set that day and you had good entry/exit could you still consider a fresh stand? Obviously it's possible he could come through at night or another time when not there but if your a weekend hunter and not coming back until the next week is that a blown spot/tree?

You have to go with the best guess on a second sit. I would say a week later would be worth another sit if you snuck in and snuck out.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”