No More Deer Hunting This Year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

No More Deer Hunting This Year

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 am

Yesterday was the last day for me till next year. :cry:

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Re: No More Deer Hunting This Year

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:07 am

Yup, hear the fat lady warming up her voice. Trying to talk myself into 1 last hunt, been invited to do a late season muzzle hunt in OH, with some friends down there. Jan. 5,6,7,8 in OH which is pretty late, but sounds interesting, would be the 1st hunt of 2013. :think:
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:22 am

every year i look forward to start and look forward to the end. most seasons i wear myself out, but this year has been more about my wife and daughter. both had good years, wife got two does and a buck in bow season, daughter killed her first deer in gun season. it was a buck that was bigger than her mothers so the smack talk started. LOL
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:23 am

Ill be out this afternoon.. Single digit temps!! Been waiting all late season for this kind of cold!! They should be out looking for food :pray:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 am

I threw in the towel before Christmas. Tag soup for 2012.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:35 am

I'm still hunting but the deep snow has blocked access to some of my best spots. The roads are not plowed for the winter and with the big blizzard most of them are closed at the main road. With these closed it would at least double my walk to my good spots in already deep snow. This has really affected my late season hunting and basically been hunting many new spots I am not familiar with.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:40 am

The season end is always a tough time for me. I have to refocus on the "real" world and dream of next season.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:44 am

Years ago you could get one tag and you were done (Iowa). Now I can get 3 buck tags and unlimited does tags. I feel like 2 bucks is plenty in one year. Save some for the next guy or next year. So I'm done also. I can glass, take pictures, set up cameras, that pacifies me and preserves some of the herd. If more people had this mentality the hunting for mature bucks would be better in the states where it is tough to get a good one. Not too many years ago Iowa was one of the poorest states to kill a deer period. Things have gotten considerably better, mostly because of the doe management 30 years ago. I think too many hunters are greedy when it comes to killing deer. I stopped at the local deer processor and they were saying that it's all does coming in to be processed. Guys are killing does (because they can) and just dropping them off. The deer meat is then distributed to the needy. More than 6000 does were donated to HUSH last year. This also means that 3000 less bucks will be born. So being done is not a bad thing in some instances.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:52 am

Stanley wrote:Years ago you could get one tag and you were done (Iowa). Now I can get 3 buck tags and unlimited does tags. I feel like 2 bucks is plenty in one year. Save some for the next guy or next year. So I'm done also. I can glass, take pictures, set up cameras, that pacifies me and preserves some of the herd. If more people had this mentality the hunting for mature bucks would be better in the states where it is tough to get a good one. Not too many years ago Iowa was one of the poorest states to kill a deer period. Things have gotten considerably better, mostly because of the doe management 30 years ago. I think too many hunters are greedy when it comes to killing deer. I stopped at the local deer processor and they were saying that it's all does coming in to be processed. Guys are killing does (because they can) and just dropping them off. The deer meat is then distributed to the needy. More than 6000 does were donated to HUSH last year. This also means that 3000 less bucks will be born. So being done is not a bad thing in some instances.

Very true! I wish WI had a management program!! A lot of killers out there, not HUNTERS! I know what youre feeling Stanley!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:01 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
Stanley wrote:Years ago you could get one tag and you were done (Iowa). Now I can get 3 buck tags and unlimited does tags. I feel like 2 bucks is plenty in one year. Save some for the next guy or next year. So I'm done also. I can glass, take pictures, set up cameras, that pacifies me and preserves some of the herd. If more people had this mentality the hunting for mature bucks would be better in the states where it is tough to get a good one. Not too many years ago Iowa was one of the poorest states to kill a deer period. Things have gotten considerably better, mostly because of the doe management 30 years ago. I think too many hunters are greedy when it comes to killing deer. I stopped at the local deer processor and they were saying that it's all does coming in to be processed. Guys are killing does (because they can) and just dropping them off. The deer meat is then distributed to the needy. More than 6000 does were donated to HUSH last year. This also means that 3000 less bucks will be born. So being done is not a bad thing in some instances.

Very true! I wish WI had a management program!! A lot of killers out there, not HUNTERS! I know what youre feeling Stanley!

Well said.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:28 am

Stanley wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:

Well said.

Agree guys....a man should take what he needs and pass on the rest. No need, no need to kill.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 am

Spysar wrote:Yesterday was the last day for me till next year. :cry:

There's always Ohio or RI ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:06 am

Public Land Beast wrote:

Exactly
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 am

I'm done... but I love to hunt and kill!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:20 pm

It's sad, hear in southern Michigan the dnr still allowed unlimited doe tags for private land in the ehd areas? And a lot of guys are still shooting does?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”