Using some of the "Other" Tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tadmdad
500 Club

Using some of the "Other" Tactics

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:34 am

When reading through many of the topics on the forum. Seems so many of us hunt only treestands, and we have gotten this down to a exact science. So how do we adjust tactics when treestand hunts don't work?

So many other tactics can be employed when deer hunting.....tracking, still hunting, drives, decoying, spot/stalk, calling/rattling, nudge hunt, etc.

On a recent hunt that we went on, treestands weren't producing. So being mostly a still hunter, switched tactics and changed the result of the hunt. Conditions and terrian were right to do a still hunt, 20 mph quartering winds and a deep ravine creek bottom to use for covering approach on bedded deer. Most of these deer where bedded to be able to watch approaching danger (edges and cut grain fields) and were unaware when approaching from the creek bottom.
Noticed many coyote tracks through the creek bottom and believe when this approach was used the deer thought that my approach was a coyote, and their reaction was to go a short distance and watch for danger approaching, until they could get a visual or scent conformation of the danger. Also using a grunt tube, most would only go a short distance and freeze, watching for comformation from what they heard.

So the next time that tree stands aren't producing, consider using some of the "other" tactics.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Using some of the "Other" Tactics

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:33 am

4 hogs and 2 bucks this year for me from still-hunting, tons of fun. Very refreshing way to hunt.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:37 am

Great post! I think that many things have changed in the hunting world that has turned us into stand hunters. I know baiting has caused many new hunters to rely on a corn pile instead of woodsmanship to kill deer. Smaller land pieces and no trespassing have kept us from being mobile and even gave us a feeling that we own the deer that we see on our property and we don't want to push them to someone else. How many times have people asked me about pushing deer to someone else when tracking? That deer ain't mine til my tags on it and I can't get it unless I try. A good hunter will adapt to the situation and use it to his benefit. Each situation, be it weather, time of day, time of year, Etc. gives the hunter an advantage if he chooses the right tactic and aplies it properly. Nice pile of deer you got!
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:46 am

Awesome!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:46 am

You need to adapt in order to be successful everywhere... Did you get the buck?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:41 am

I think for the most part archery hunting lends itself to tree stand hunting.

I still love muzzle and rifle season to stretch the legs with less sitting of course ;)

The size of the parcel you are hunting plays a big part of what you can do with your woods, meaning suburban lots and close proximity to houses w/guns doesn't appeal to me - I'll stick to ambush for this type of hunt...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:31 am

magicman54494 wrote:Great post! I think that many things have changed in the hunting world that has turned us into stand hunters. I know baiting has caused many new hunters to rely on a corn pile instead of woodsmanship to kill deer. Smaller land pieces and no trespassing have kept us from being mobile and even gave us a feeling that we own the deer that we see on our property and we don't want to push them to someone else. How many times have people asked me about pushing deer to someone else when tracking? That deer ain't mine til my tags on it and I can't get it unless I try. A good hunter will adapt to the situation and use it to his benefit. Each situation, be it weather, time of day, time of year, Etc. gives the hunter an advantage if he chooses the right tactic and aplies it properly. Nice pile of deer you got!

You make some good points Magic. Smaller tracts of land do limit some of these tactics, trespassing, baiting seem to make most think that stand hunting is the only option. Seems that we go to extremes when guarding land, and places that we hunt, makes us ask the question..... is it the destination of killing a big buck or is it the journey?

Guess I just wanted to point out there is always options when hunting. Think you pointed this out before, you only have to win once. If we can learn to adapt to varying situations and use what we have learned from past experience, you can tip the balance in your favor.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:34 am

dan wrote:You need to adapt in order to be successful everywhere... Did you get the buck?

Agreed, every new hunt and location, brings different challenges. Yes, all 3 deer on the same still hunt, reminded me of being 12 yo again hunting rabbits with a single shot 22.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I think for the most part archery hunting lends itself to tree stand hunting.

I still love muzzle and rifle season to stretch the legs with less sitting of course ;)

The size of the parcel you are hunting plays a big part of what you can do with your woods, meaning suburban lots and close proximity to houses w/guns doesn't appeal to me - I'll stick to ambush for this type of hunt...

Agreed Ed, in the areas you point out, ambush and using treestands are the obvious choices. But most of us live close enough to large areas of public land, that other options need to be considered.

Many of the "other" tactics have been used for many years, some have been lost in this day and age. Just something about being on the ground face to face with your quarry. As pointed out recently, time just stands still, suspect it has been that way since the beginning of time.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Great post Tad, as usual.......but have to say I am still strugling to find all those AA batteries in the 6v lantern battery. :? :lol:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 pm

[quote="Tadmdad]
Guess I just wanted to point out there is always options when hunting. [/quote]

You did a great job! And showed how successful it can be.
I totally agree with everything you said. I think we have kinda got tunnel vision nowdays and many are limiting their options.... and success.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:11 pm

That is so cool. Bow or gun?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Great post Tad, as usual.......but have to say I am still strugling to find all those AA batteries in the 6v lantern battery. :? :lol:

Absolutely X10!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Congratulations! I love to still hunt. Great to take it to the game.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Nice job! Congrats

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”