Frozen marsh, bedding abandoned?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Buckfever
500 Club

Frozen marsh, bedding abandoned?

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:07 pm

I had a buck entrance to a marsh bedding nailed down, but we got a heavy rain which raised the water level several inches and now it's an ice rink. The snow evidence suggests they've stopped using that particular marsh bedding. I checked all the entrances. Any thoughts?

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Frozen marsh, bedding abandoned?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:12 pm

My deer have done the same, when there was water in there and it wasnt frozen they were moving in there alot. Now the water has gone down but there is a thin layer of ice being held up by a little water and marsh grass so its NOISY. Another spot along the fox river formed a crusty nasty layer of ice after last weeks rains, now the river went down and the deer are moving about 20yards further into the woods from the river bank than they were last week when I scouted and hung some cameras. I think the noisy entrance/exit plus uncomfortable feeling of constantly breaking ice with each step is what is keeping them out of the marshes where I am at. Definitely noticed a big change in movement and bedding patterns over the last week more so by "deer" than a particular mature deer however.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:20 pm

They often abandon interior marsh bedding when heavy snow, or ice hits the marsh. You will find them more on the outskirts now.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:01 am

I've never had much luck after a hard freeze, easier walking the worse the hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”