New NA whitetail article

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike

New NA whitetail article

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Just wondering if anyone caught the new NA whitetail article (I think, there was deer and DH too) on tracking buck movement with GPS in pennsylvania? Basically the bucks would stay in there homerange during the rut, but there were excursions that lasted 8 to 32 hours, after which they returned to their home range, usually during daylight hours. This brought up the Q how long do bucks stay with does in heat, I think it was thought to be around 2-3 days but apparently not, interesting stuff.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: New NA whitetail article

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Hmmm... Sounds like a great study. I will have to see if I can find the magazines we print both mag's here where I work and there are usually some copys floating around.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 am

Just read it yesterday, yes it's in Deer and Deer Hunting too. I agree with what they say about bucks roaming but typically relating back to their bedding areas. Last year in mid Oct scouted an overgrowm ridge field and it had all the signs of a buck bedding area. Went back during rut and laid eyes on him but no shot opp. This isn't the first time I've come across bucks in known buck bedding during rut, it's actually quite common. Either way, when I think about it buck bedding is a great place to hunt in and out of rut. These buck have to hide out somewhere during the daylight hours or rut so it only makes sense they would hang in pre-established buck bedding.

I really liked the article, good reading for anyone.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:53 am

have you guys had any experience with different bucks using the same bed throughout the rut period? i would think that if a buck left with a hot doe, other bucks would use that same spot while he is away
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Yes... But thats hard to pin on the rut cause I often have bucks I don't expect come out of the bedding areas I hunt. Most good buck beds are being used by several bucks... The bigger buck will chase out a smaller buck if he gets there later.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”