If Scent Control and Camo do not make a difference.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Lockdown

Re: If Scent Control and Camo do not make a difference.....

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:47 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:Great thread, I ditched the scent control spray last year, saw more deer then any other season, had many down wind, while hunting on the ground, and they did not spook don't know why. Thermals play a big part in people thinking they are not being winded, also young deer not reacting fools a lot of people thinking their scent control works.

Question though, how far away can a deer smell you? I have heard 150 yards, but I watched some episode with Jim Shockey the other day where a bear caught their wind from 1200 yards away. I know bears have the very best noses, but it makes me think deer could smell a human from 4-600 yards, at the least.

I was observing in the field tonight from a field edge tree. I have thought about setting up there in the past for an actual hunt. Its in the midst of some action but I don't want any shooters bedding in that thicket so I sat it to stack it. Didn't care if I got busted. Plus I could see the fields I wanted to see.

I had a pretty crazy night... 3 different deer in bow range. First was a yearling 3 pointer that came out of the thick. I left some scent on the back side checking trails for big tracks and he hit my scent. He didn't like it and left after a 5-10 seconds of sniffing. Mind you, I was wearing the clothes I wore around the house all day and I sprayed down with mosquito spray before I left my vehicle.

Later on I had a doe come out of the corn in a drown out spot. I was walking one row in when I accessed. Thought for sure she'd bust when she hit my ground scent but she never batted an eye. Then later she went down wind and still didn't react :think: I did not have milkweed with and was right next to a creek so its not impossible the thermals lifted my scent. After that she looped around me and walked the same spot where the 3 point busted me. Still didn't care.

At last light a yearling 7 point hit the corn 100 yards from me and I knew he'd smell my access trail. Never heard a snort but what happened 20 minutes later? Here he comes down the first row following my scent trail. He eventually took the same trail the doe did and ended up down wind. However he lifted his nose and obviously caught a whiff, but didn't bust until I started packing up. Why did the first deer get the heck out of dodge, but the 2nd and 3rd didn't? I haven't the slightest.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:49 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:Great thread, I ditched the scent control spray last year, saw more deer then any other season, had many down wind, while hunting on the ground, and they did not spook don't know why. Thermals play a big part in people thinking they are not being winded, also young deer not reacting fools a lot of people thinking their scent control works.

Question though, how far away can a deer smell you? I have heard 150 yards, but I watched some episode with Jim Shockey the other day where a bear caught their wind from 1200 yards away. I know bears have the very best noses, but it makes me think deer could smell a human from 4-600 yards, at the least.

they can smell you for miles... One study I seen with bears showed bears coming out of hibernation hungry searching for food and suddenly turning into the wind and traveling strait into the wind distances of up to 10 miles directly to a food source. That's exactly why I say they can smell distance, otherwise they would be freaking out all day long snorting and running. People are always up wind.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Lockdown wrote:

I was observing in the field tonight from a field edge tree. I have thought about setting up there in the past for an actual hunt. Its in the midst of some action but I don't want any shooters bedding in that thicket so I sat it to stack it. Didn't care if I got busted. Plus I could see the fields I wanted to see.

I had a pretty crazy night... 3 different deer in bow range. First was a yearling 3 pointer that came out of the thick. I left some scent on the back side checking trails for big tracks and he hit my scent. He didn't like it and left after a 5-10 seconds of sniffing. Mind you, I was wearing the clothes I wore around the house all day and I sprayed down with mosquito spray before I left my vehicle.

Later on I had a doe come out of the corn in a drown out spot. I was walking one row in when I accessed. Thought for sure she'd bust when she hit my ground scent but she never batted an eye. Then later she went down wind and still didn't react :think: I did not have milkweed with and was right next to a creek so its not impossible the thermals lifted my scent. After that she looped around me and walked the same spot where the 3 point busted me. Still didn't care.

At last light a yearling 7 point hit the corn 100 yards from me and I knew he'd smell my access trail. Never heard a snort but what happened 20 minutes later? Here he comes down the first row following my scent trail. He eventually took the same trail the doe did and ended up down wind. However he lifted his nose and obviously caught a whiff, but didn't bust until I started packing up. Why did the first deer get the heck out of dodge, but the 2nd and 3rd didn't? I haven't the slightest.

Pretty similar to reactions I have.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:23 pm

I keep going back to this thought, the more I read the Hunting Beast, and watch Dan's videos. The thought that in the past I have been so worried about things I can't control (scent), and not worried about things I can (noise, setups, access trails). It's not all the junk that will help you kill deer, it's woodsmanship, understanding deer behavior, understanding terrain, understanding bedding, those are the things that will put Big Bucks on the ground. Sadly most hunters don't have these skills anymore, me included, they can be learned and that is why I get on and read this sight. It just takes time in the woods and hard work to learn the true skills, and trash the gimmick stuff.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:29 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:I keep going back to this thought, the more I read the Hunting Beast, and watch Dan's videos. The thought that in the past I have been so worried about things I can't control (scent), and not worried about things I can (noise, setups, access trails). It's not all the junk that will help you kill deer, it's woodsmanship, understanding deer behavior, understanding terrain, understanding bedding, those are the things that will put Big Bucks on the ground. Sadly most hunters don't have these skills anymore, me included, they can be learned and that is why I get on and read this sight. It just takes time in the woods and hard work to learn the true skills, and trash the gimmick stuff.

;) Now your cookin with peanut oil!
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:58 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:
stash59 wrote:

I think deer and bear have very similar smelling capabilities. I've personally witnessed them smell another hunter from over 300 yards away.

How did they react? Did they bolt, or just keep an eye?

It was during gun seasons. They didn't run, but wasted no time putting space and cover between themselves and the hunters.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:41 am

dan wrote:

they can smell you for miles... One study I seen with bears showed bears coming out of hibernation hungry searching for food and suddenly turning into the wind and traveling strait into the wind distances of up to 10 miles directly to a food source. That's exactly why I say they can smell distance, otherwise they would be freaking out all day long snorting and running. People are always up wind.

Elk don't quite have the nose of deer or bear. But I've also watched them smell hunters from 600-800 yards. No way they could see the hunters, but they just plain got out of dodge.

I've had bucks seemingly use their 6th sense that hunters talk about. But then realized they had smelled me because some obstruction in the terrain "turned" the wind. What was amazing was how they instantly looked right at me. Even though the wind took a circutuous route. After thinking about this. My common sense told me they could do this because they could also smell all of the natural smells that accompanied my odors. So if I was in a pine tree they knew that and knew to look there.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:26 am

My common sense told me they could do this because they could also smell all of the natural smells that accompanied my odors. So if I was in a pine tree they knew that and knew to look there

Exactly!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 am

Not every situation is the same remember that. When a new construction is going up I can smell the wood from 200 yards away. Now, I can't smell a tooth pick 200 yards away. The difference is mass smell vs minuscule smell. A deer can smell a human 300 yards down wind. A deer cannot smell a skin flake 300 yards away. :think: A deer's sense of smell has limitations also. Just food for thought.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 am

Stanley wrote:Not every situation is the same remember that. When a new construction is going up I can smell the wood from 200 yards away. Now, I can't smell a tooth pick 200 yards away. The difference is mass smell vs minuscule smell. A deer can smell a human 300 yards down wind. A deer cannot smell a skin flake 300 yards away. :think: A deer's sense of smell has limitations also. Just food for thought.

A deers sense of smell is so great, I would bet on him smelling the skin flake :lol:

To a deer our scent is so strong its like skunk spray to us. Get sprayed by a skunk and wipe off the goo with a rag, sure you will remove a lot, but it sure won't make any difference when you walk into the kitchen. Your wife will smell it just as fast.

We are comparing a nose with 295 million receptors and an organ that separates each individual odor to a human with 5 million receptors and a blend of smells.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:51 am

It's just not possible for us to even come close to knowing what it's like to have the nose of a deer or a bear. We'll never relate to or understand that ability. The difference is incomparable. They even have an extra organ.

So I chuckle when the guys on TV try to tell me whether or not the deer is too far downwind to catch their scent, or that after exactly 2 days your scent trail is unrecognizable to a deer.

Ya just can't beat it with a product!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 am

I have always been fascinated how a tracking dog could hit a 3 day old human track, and at that instant know which way to go by the freshness of the next step. They also very commonly are on the downwind side of the humans trail not actually smelling the foot print but the brush his scent blew into. U wanna beat a deers nose get a sniper riffle, u wanna hunt a deer u better learn the wind and chose your spots wisely
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:08 pm

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:Not every situation is the same remember that. When a new construction is going up I can smell the wood from 200 yards away. Now, I can't smell a tooth pick 200 yards away. The difference is mass smell vs minuscule smell. A deer can smell a human 300 yards down wind. A deer cannot smell a skin flake 300 yards away. :think: A deer's sense of smell has limitations also. Just food for thought.

A deers sense of smell is so great, I would bet on him smelling the skin flake :lol:

To a deer our scent is so strong its like skunk spray to us. Get sprayed by a skunk and wipe off the goo with a rag, sure you will remove a lot, but it sure won't make any difference when you walk into the kitchen. Your wife will smell it just as fast.

We are comparing a nose with 295 million receptors and an organ that separates each individual odor to a human with 5 million receptors and a blend of smells.

A human sitting in a stand will get detected. There is too much mass scent. I think that is what most don't understand. I could not smell a hunter in a stand unless there was a huge odor like Cologne or cigarette smoke. I can smell burning wood miles away. I can't smell the wood for miles away. Mass scent vs Minuscule scent same deal. A deer has common limitations only much greater than our human sense of smell. A buck can't smell a human 50 miles a way unless he is on fire. Then I would bet the buck could. So don't smoke in the stand. ;)

The next thing is why can't a buck smell you at 50 yards if you are down wind? It is because of the limitations of the bucks sense of smell. :think: Think about this in relationship to ground scent. On a windy day the ground scent will not be smelled even if the buck is on the same trail you walked down. :think: Why? Because of the bucks limitations of not being able to smell stuff down wind. Now if the buck puts his nose to the ground he will smell your ground scent. Why? Because he now has eliminated the down wind effect and his limitations. :think:
This why you see a buck dogging a doe with his nose to the ground. He is eliminating his limitation. :think:

On a calm day with rising thermals a buck can smell your ground scent without his nose on the ground. :think: Why? Because the ground scent is not down wind. The scent is rising to his nose. This is why I never put much into hounds and scent proofing. A hounds nose is always on the ground, Not 3 feet above. :think:

If you have ever hunted rabbits with hounds in the snow you will see the same thing. On windy days the hounds don't follow on the rabbit tracks they follow as much as 3-4 feet off the side of the rabbit tracks. On calm no wind days they follow right on the rabbit tracks. :think: Why? Because they can't smell stuff down wind of them. Limitations for sure.

I have had hundreds of deer cross my ground scent and not be alarmed. I even have trail camera pics of bucks going down the same logging road just a couple hrs later. :think: A bucks nose is a pretty good defensive tool. But it's nose does have limitations. The wind is your friend in more ways than one. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Nice right up Stan... In my case I would like to offer deer who are accustomed to human scent year round throughout there travels (not safety/bedding areas) will accept it with time as non threatening and not freak out over it. I hunted a large farm once that had not seen any human activity in years and the slightest residual scent put these deer on high alert :think:

-Beth Dutton-
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:03 am

I could never get away with the outfit in the opening post. My white skin would either blind the deer or send them running a half mile away from the glow. The other portion would be to cover myself in camo paints but I'd spend more money than camo clothes to accomplish that. Lol.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”