deer management question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: deer management question

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 am

Black Squirrel wrote:On our land in Western WI, the population has slowly increased over the 10 years we have been hunting. We seem to be seeing less mature bucks during the rut, in daylight. I think this is do to the fact that there is probably a doe in estrus at any given time. thus a buck doesn't have to do much traveling to hook up with the next doe. So our bucks seem to be in lock down right from the start. We get pictures in summer of some nice shooters, but very rarely see them during the rut. Not trying to highjack this thread, juist think this goes hand in hand with it. Care to offer your opinion on this, am I right or wrong?

In my opinion, if they have to search for receptive does, they increase there home range and leave your property. I would rather have them on my property where the doe could lead him in front of me rather than on the neighbors where I can't shoot him...

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am

dan wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:On our land in Western WI, the population has slowly increased over the 10 years we have been hunting. We seem to be seeing less mature bucks during the rut, in daylight. I think this is do to the fact that there is probably a doe in estrus at any given time. thus a buck doesn't have to do much traveling to hook up with the next doe. So our bucks seem to be in lock down right from the start. We get pictures in summer of some nice shooters, but very rarely see them during the rut. Not trying to highjack this thread, juist think this goes hand in hand with it. Care to offer your opinion on this, am I right or wrong?

In my opinion, if they have to search for receptive does, they increase there home range and leave your property. I would rather have them on my property where the doe could lead him in front of me rather than on the neighbors where I can't shoot him...[/quote

x2 0% chance of killing an animal that is on your neighbors land
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:29 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
dan wrote:

In my opinion, if they have to search for receptive does, they increase there home range and leave your property. I would rather have them on my property where the doe could lead him in front of me rather than on the neighbors where I can't shoot him...[/quote

x2 0% chance of killing an animal that is on your neighbors land

Good point, I didn't really look at it that way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”