scent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
magicman54494
500 Club

scent

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:59 am

The other day I was working on the log home when 2 people came down the road on their bicycles. I heard them talking as they went by. About 2 minutes later my head snapped up and I was testing the wind to try to figure out the different smell in the air. Then it dawned on me that it was perfume or cologne from the bikers. I was at least 100 yds from the road. Then I thought if I could smell that just think how good a deer can smell us.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: scent

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:04 am

A couple years ago I was navigating thru a large cattail marsh and was crossing a remote island suddenly in mid stride I smelt a strong wiff if cigarette. I snapped my head around and up and locked on a bowhunter smoking a cigarette 18 feet up a pine. I snapped around and starred at him so fast he actually jumped a bit.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:59 am

I've smelled cigarette smoke from other hunters on the way in or out from hunting, which tipped me off to their presence. I've also smelled bait piles from downwind that tipped me off to stand sites even when they weren't occupied. Deer can detect our activities through smell quite easily.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:28 pm

I have smelled smoke walking by a hunter before. I don't smoke never had never will, but does a deer relate this smell to humans. One guy at work tells me it is a good cover up, also his friend shoots deer every year smoking on stand (bow hunting.) I don't believe him anybody else hear this before.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:43 pm

I don't think its a good idea to add a forein odor while hunting... cigarette smoke reeks. However, I can easily believe some hunters smoke and still have great success. If the deer smells the smoke, he is down wind and likely also smelling the human scent.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Many years ago my dad climbed a leaning tree during rifle season. Five does and fawns ran up and stopped right under him. He flicked his cig down right by them. They watched it smoke and sniffed at it. They were not frightened by it at all.
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:27 pm

I am not a big fan of adding any unwanted scent to my stands if I don't need to . We make our clients aware that we do not permit smoking in our stands .Now thats just our preferance weither it makes a differance or not . My ole man has shot soem big bucks while puffing on a smoke to as he told me .
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:03 pm

I smoked for years, then quit for almost 3, started up again in 2008. I smoke on stand and have to say that smoking has not effected my hunting one way or the other, I saw the same number of deer when I didn't smoke as i do when I smoke. It's all a matter of the wind and if that deer gets a whiff of you, I think it makes no difference if they smell cig. smoke or sweat, they are outta there either way. I would NOT say it works as a cover scent though.
Bowhunter4ever!!!!!!!!

Visit my website
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:18 am

A gal that I went to Tech. school with had a fawn that they raised on their farm. She told me he just loved to eat the cigs. that people threw down after smoking.
James
ProStaff

Unread postby James » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:35 am

The best smell in the woods is hitting that unmistakable musty odor that tells you a big buck in rut is in the area. Has anyone been able to smell a buck under their stand while it's there?
My YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/jamessqr
My hunting journal and blog - http://www.james-squires.com
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:00 am

James wrote:The best smell in the woods is hitting that unmistakable musty odor that tells you a big buck in rut is in the area. Has anyone been able to smell a buck under their stand while it's there?

James...you are one of 3 people that I know that say they can smell deer. I am one of those 3. I swear that I have caught wind of the scent of deer, and sure enough, seconds later a deer appears. I am not sure if they are maybe urinating or crapping right before they come into view. And I have "smelled" bucks AND does alike. Not just rutting buck smell.

This whole subject of "what deer smell" is really a disputable one. I quit smoking a long time ago and am very careful with my scent. Yet when I was still dating Larry, he would smoke in his stand. And he has killed deer while smoking. My thoughts are that the wind played a factor. I'm not sure this subject can ever be proved one way or the other.

And I know I am not the "norm" when it comes to believing in scent control/scent elimination. Especially in this forum. But I do know one thing...I will stick with what I have personal proof of...and that is ever since I've been super careful about my scent and have been using scentlok and scent elimination products, my success rate has gone up tremendously.
And I know...it's just my opinion. So nobody yell at me! LOL! ;) :P
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:51 am

WiBowhuntress wrote:
And I know I am not the "norm" when it comes to believing in scent control/scent elimination. Especially in this forum. But I do know one thing...I will stick with what I have personal proof of...and that is ever since I've been super careful about my scent and have been using scentlok and scent elimination products, my success rate has gone up tremendously.
And I know...it's just my opinion. So nobody yell at me! LOL! ;) :P

Who could argue with your success!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:31 pm

James wrote:The best smell in the woods is hitting that unmistakable musty odor that tells you a big buck in rut is in the area. Has anyone been able to smell a buck under their stand while it's there?

You bet... You get close to a rutting buck, or travel down a trail one has just used and you can smell him.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:07 am

Last year while walking to my stand on a very dark morning I could smell the unquestionable musk of a rutting buck. I stopped. Not sure what to do, I continued on my way a little worried that I was too close to him. The smell was as strong as I have had when gutting one out. I was concerned he may feel intruded on and attack me. But, I never saw or heard him leave the area and upon examination on my way out I found a scrape less then 10 feet from the trail I was on when I smelled him. He probably heard me coming way before I got there and it was just the fresh scrape I smelled.
That scrape was only freshened once that I noticed after that morning. Although I didn't use that path in too much after that.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:16 am

I won't laugh Sherry. I am right there with you. I am sure that I could kill deer w/o the use of my overly anal regimine, but if it gives me an advantage just once or twice a year it is worth the trouble to me.
I gotta think that just being scrubbed clean and then being wrapped in three layers of freshly laundered clothing would help reduce the amount of scent I leave behind. Now if carbon traps ANY more stinky human molecules than cotton does; I can foresee somewhat of an advantage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”