Call me crazy, but I found some magic pixie dust............

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Call me crazy, but I found some magic pixie dust............

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 am

So pro-staffer Shane and I had hunted all week last and had some great hunts, but I have a honeyhole that can only be hunted on a south wind.......this particuliar spot can be glassed from my front porch and last Fri. evening I spotted 3 bucks (one for sure shooter) and what appeared to be a hot doe in the spot........Well the forecast was for another NE wind for saturday which would totally burn the spot completely, but we had to get in on those deer while the hot doe was still in the area........I had been hearing about a product that hunters claimed jammed the olfactory sense of deer when they encountered it......I was more than skeptical, but kept an open mind to try it ,more than anything to disprove that it actually works........A friend had a partial bottle that he gave us and we headed into the honey hole for the afternoon hunt. I figured the first deer that hit our scent stream would blow the whole deal, but had hopes that we might actually get away with it........The first deer in was a nice 3.5 9 point, he cautiously moved in from our downwind side :shock: "any minute" I'm thinking, " he's gonna blow and head for the hills" but he just kept coming. He was on our downwind side for over 10 mins. we had a doe deke in the food plot and his attention was on her, I kept telling Shane to shoot the deer before he busted out, but he had no opening to the vitals where the buck was standing.........eventually the buck moved around to the upwind side and started coming towards the deke. At 28 yards Shane finally had a wide open lane and let the arrow fly. This buck was in on us for over 20 mins. and never once indicated he could smell us, now neither of us use any kind of scent precautions, Shane chews and I smoke (both in the stand)(and to younger readers I am not advocating or condoning the use of tobacco in any way, it is a nasty habit that you should never start!) and normally we play the wind so approaching and retreating deer will not cross our scent stream. But on this hunt I knew there was no way around it, if we had deer come in they WERE going to be in our scent stream.This product seems to have masked our odor, I can't say with 100% certaintee that it worked, but that particuliar buck did NOT smell us even though the floaties(milkweed) were right at his feet for a number of minutes.

I figured we needed to test it one more time, and after we drug his buck out I went back and sprayed the area down......next afternoon we are in the same tree, same wind direction and this time another buck directly downwind of us. He was just a 1.5 yr. old but still should have busted us, I even let a few floaties go when he was downwind just to make sure he "should" be smelling us, not one indication that he had our scent........I am going to test this product out on some old long nose does as soon as I can and will report back the results, if they are positive I will tell you the product we are using, for now if you'd like to know please pm me as I do not wish to promote something like this on an open forum until I am totally convinced it works....

Here's the buck Shane killed that was downwind of us for over 5 mins.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Call me crazy, but I found some magic pixie dust........

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 am

Nice buck, he looks like he fell into a mud pit :D
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:52 am

Yeah, he rolled into a drainage ditch...........stunk like a mother...... :D
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 am

Interesting report, and a nice buck for sure. I'm no expert whitetail hunter by any means but I've had lots of deer downwind of me during the rut without any special precautions and they didn't bust. I would be interested to hear how the product works outside of the rut. No offense, just saying when loves on the brain they can get real preoccupied. Can you put a plug out for the product or are you not going to reveal that just yet?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:34 am

Nose Jammer?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:42 am

Dewey wrote:Nose Jammer?

Thats what I was thinking.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Swampthing wrote:
Dewey wrote:Nose Jammer?

x2
Thats what I was thinking.

BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:12 pm

Eeehh, I don't buy it. I don't think there's a product that would "jam" a buck's nose. There nose is 500X better than a humans will ever be. I've had deer in close quarters and they never seemed alarmed, and I've had deer pick me out of the wood line 200 yards away...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Let's say this stuff really does work and really will jam a deer's sense of smell rendering their nose useless...........how can this still be considered fair chase?

Not trying to stir anything up or discredit anybody who killed deer using this stuff but where do you draw the line?

If it did indeed work like that and I killed deer using the product I myself would not feel like I accomplished anything. Beating a deer's nose on even terms on a fair playing field with the animal is what seperates the good from the bad hunters. Now if everybody used this product where would the challenge be?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:35 pm

I'll test it for you no charge and give an honest revue. PM if interested.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Nose Jammer never worked for me, every single deer winded me, threw it away. Nice buck.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Congrats to your friend, sounds like a fun hunt.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention congrats to Shane on a great buck. 8-)

I meant no disrespect with my post as it was just a valid question on my mind about products like you speak of. If by chance one of them does become real "magic pixie dust" where do you draw the line?

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Dewey wrote:Sorry I forgot to mention congrats to Shane on a great buck. 8-)

I meant no disrespect with my post as it was just a valid question on my mind about products like you speak of. If by chance one of them does become real "magic pixie dust" where do you draw the line?

First of all Great Buck! 8-)

I agree with you Dewey.
One of my fav bowhunters turned me off when he started promoting Ozonics. I dont care if it works or not. Its way too expensive for the average Joe IMO. He puts waaaaay too much credit into that thing. He is no longer my fav hunter....Greg Miller moved up to number 1 at least for TV hunters. Also like you said Dewey...if I bought something that DID IN FACT KILL A DEER NOSE that would take out one of the funnest aspects of bowhunting for me. This past year its very rewarding to think and learn on how to hunt deer with the wind to my advantage....makes the buck much more rewarding IMO.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”