2012 Rut Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

2012 Rut Reports

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:40 am

I thought I would start this thread up so everyone can log their rut activity as it really starts cranking up in the next few days.

It's always cool to see the progress of the rut across our state or oven across the country. I see a few of you have seen some chasing already! 8-)

I hunted 6 of the last 7 days and so far haven't seen any sign the rut is starting yet. This will greatly improve I'm sure at the end of the week when the big cold front hits.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: 2012 Rut Reports

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:34 am

Central Wisconsin

October 6th- I had bucks grunting and fighting each other

Saturday -had a little 8 make check a scrape and tear up some tiny bushes. The little 8 was also busted up so he must have been fighting.

Sunday night- I had a buck come and and DESTROY the area with rubs and scrapes for a good 30 minutes. All at dark, I couldn't see how big he was. That same night I heard deer grunting and running through the cattails. Didn't know if they were fighting or chasing..
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:43 am

Pretzel heads are chasing... this weekend I suspect some bigger bucks will be
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Hunted some sauk county hill country on Friday. Had a nice 120"- 130" dogging does and grunting. Does are still with fawns, I think this particular buck may just have testosterone overload. Think he was 2.5 maybe 3.5, had him at 40 yards. The other sits last week produced in bucky's words "pretzel head" action.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Friday night my brother saw a little buck chasing a doe in the field in front of him. Right at dark a much bigger buck started chasing her too - couldn't tell how big, fully mature though.

Saturday morning the 20th I had a nice 135" 10 point 3.5 year old dogging does and come in and work a scrape at 10 yards. If he had been a year older he would have gotten it. After that a button buck came in with his mommy and worked the scrape hard too which was funny. I had little bucks chasing does around me till 10:30am. Walking out, a doe that was apparently coming into heat got chased right up to me with 5 bucks behind her, all 2.5 years old or smaller though.

Saturday night my brother had two 3.5 year olds come by together and work a scrape. The fact that they were together means things are not going full bore yet to me.

Fawns are still with does however and I am not seeing the does pushed into the bits of cover they head to when the harassment starts in earnest so what I saw was just a preview :clap: The doe in heat I think was just one of those does that sometimes come around 1-2 weeks early.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Had a younger buck chasing 2 doe coast to coast and grunting across 80 acres on Sunday morning - epically loud. I too think the bigger boys will be a little more visible this coming weekend.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Haven't seen much action but scrapes are getting laid down pretty hard here in western MN.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Saw a dead buck (1.5) on the highway today. Other than that not any rut activity going on, the places I've hunted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:41 am

Driving home (Rhinelander, WI) from work last night seen an ok for this area 2.5 year old buck chasing a doe across the road.

I can't say for 100% he was chasing her.......she was on the other side of the road and he shot out in front of me and they both took off.

A buck was behind a doe that I couldn't see her fawns......close enough for me that he was dogging her. This is one of the earliest times I have seen that up here so it could just be a coincidence.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:38 am

Saw a chase just before closing time on sunday. Little dink dogging two does. It's early though. Little scrubs are goofing around. This weekend and next week some slobs will hit the dirt!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Bump

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:50 pm

South west Wisconsin: saw 3 small 1 year olds trailing does tonight. Still have not seen a mature buck while hunting, but had a couple on trail cam this week.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Young deer are chasing, scrapes still being worked, young bucks still sparing. About a week to go. I'll probably start on the 4th after the time change.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Saw a Doe and two fawns last night @ 5:30 - no bucks, not much for scrapes or rubs...
Driving on the highway I have seen some dead deer activity telling me thngs are starting to move.

I would think right after the hurricane blasts through my area things will get moving good...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:55 am

West central Wisconsin: (at least the woods that I hunt anyways) The bucks are on the move, mostly yearlings and some 2.5 yr olds. Had a shot at a very nice 8 pt, but passed him up. Also rattled in a nice 10 pt., but he didn't give me a shot. Otherwise, their has been a ton of chasing all throughout the morning. My buddy said that 2 miles north of me it is dead silence in the woods. They saw one doe all of Friday and Saturday. Crazy how that happens...

I love this time of year!!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”