Rut funnel observation today

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Rut funnel observation today

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:12 am

Had some rain here so I went and checked out a spot where I would like to set up a stand for the crusing phase of rut when they start using those parallel trails we have all been talking about. I think I found a good one.

The parallel trail is 40 yards into the woods with doe bedding on each side of it. What I find interesting is that bucks are already making rubs right on this parallel trail and not on the field edge. The rubs are on the parallel trail field edge where it meets a funnel due to a deep ravine puching the deer up. The highest rub I found was waist high and was the one right in the funnel where all the trails meet together. At first I wondered if bucks are bedded nearby but then I started thinking about the beds I knew and these rubs were not close to their beds. The rubs looked really fresh including one that was made on a tree that was rubbed last year. Its like they are marking the parallel trail which was really interesting to see first hand.

Here is a map of what I found today. The star is where I would set up with a North or NW wind coming in from the field. Notice where the scrapes are located.

Question: What time of year or dates should I hunt this spot or at what times of day? West Central Wisconsin.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Rut funnel observation today

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05 am

You have the best of all worlds; a parallel trail, with a pinch point, and a food source that isn't going away. I would hunt the spot right now, give it a rest for a couple of weeks and hit it again. During the rut you can hunt it more often than early season remember that. I like the set up looks killer to me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:46 am

Wow looks like a "KILLER" setup! Best of luck there!
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:13 am

Looks super awesome!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:18 am

Stanley wrote:You have the best of all worlds; a parallel trail, with a pinch point, and a food source that isn't going away. I would hunt the spot right now, give it a rest for a couple of weeks and hit it again. During the rut you can hunt it more often than early season remember that. I like the set up looks killer to me.

Another question: What is so important about having a food source thats open behind me? Access?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:28 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
Stanley wrote:You have the best of all worlds; a parallel trail, with a pinch point, and a food source that isn't going away. I would hunt the spot right now, give it a rest for a couple of weeks and hit it again. During the rut you can hunt it more often than early season remember that. I like the set up looks killer to me.

Another question: What is so important about having a food source thats open behind me? Access?

So the bucks keep using the parallel trail. The does will leave scent on the trails to the food source. This will keep the bucks looking for does in estrous and using the does as decoys before entering the field.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Looks like a killer spot to me too!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:05 pm

I would wait until the next cold front to hunt it... Then the thing I would do different than Stan is I would hunt it steadily every time the winds was right for the magic 10 day cruising stretch.... Oct 25th-Nov 4th... give or take a few days. As long as your access is clean in and out and your not bumping deer. I really like 8-1 during that time... But I would sit all day if the action warranted it

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks Stan and Bucky! ;)

No stand is there yet. Should I put it up when its raining or the day I sit there?
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Looks like a killer spot, but facing the wrong direction. I would think you would want your scent going down into the ravine, since the deer will be cruising up high to go around this terain feature. Plus you wouldnt want your scent blowing out in that field and having does bust you. Maybe this isnt a concern during mid day.

Bucky, Stan, others, what would you call the "right wind" and how would you enter this stand?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:13 pm

From 8 to 1 I wouldn't suspect does will be out feeding... So I would access from top and have wind blowing into field, this is an instance where I would glass the field from a distance at 7am then slide in when I think the coast is clear. Sitting till dark would be difficult in this location... Likely will get winded...but I would take the chance if the action was good.

I think sometimes people get too cautious (reality for me is perfect conditions rarely happen when I'm hunting) Sometimes you have to push the envelope and hunt the spot.
You might get burnt... But you might kill a slob too...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:17 pm

I have an almost identical rut funnel on our land. I try and save it until Oct 25th on and then only on N, NW, NE winds. This is also my favorite stand for all day hunts. I have shot a 127, 131, 144, 123, and a 164 out of this stand in eight years of hunting it. All but two have been shot on all day sits and were shot between 10-3, unfortunately I have missed a few dandies out of this stand also. Halloween day 2010 I had 4 shooters in range in this funnel, with no shots as they were fighting and chasing a hot doe. Most of the action that day was between 9 and 2. Hopefully my experience with a very similar funnel can help you. Good luck, hunt this spot smart and hard and it WILL pay big dividends. By the way I am also in West central WI.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:24 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Looks like a killer spot, but facing the wrong direction. I would think you would want your scent going down into the ravine, since the deer will be cruising up high to go around this terain feature. Plus you wouldnt want your scent blowing out in that field and having does bust you. Maybe this isnt a concern during mid day.

Bucky, Stan, others, what would you call the "right wind" and how would you enter this stand?

That is a good point, for me the n,nw wind works well because the deer like to stay inside cover and avoid the open field. I do have a tree prepped on the edge of the ravine for a south wind that I use my climber in. However a S wind blows your scent into the bedding are if you approach the funnel from the south. It may not be the same for the OP, but this works well for me.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:55 pm

I would hunt the stand in the evening with the wind blowing into the field. If you were to wait for the perfect wind it would have some cross in it. I like NW for that set up. I hunt a set up close to that but facing west rather than North (it's a killer spot). I would go in with stand in hand set it up and hunt. If you can, I would leave the stand for a future hunt (depending on how many stands you own). I have hung many stands in a season and left them to hang another. Come seasons end I may have 20 plus stands to take down. When you hunt an area like that, every sit will usually get you busted by some does feeding. I feel the first hunt is the best and the hunts regress every hunt after.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:57 pm

This is a great set. The problem with a set like this is that it's very easy for it to be ruined by pressure. I think how I would hunt it and how much would be based on what I could ascertain about the expected hunter pressure in the area. Now if this is private different deal.

What's your route it?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”