Night beds vs day beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Night beds vs day beds

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:28 am

Anyway to tell the difference between a night and day bed other than a trail camera? Are there things near or in the bed which might give a clue?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Brad

Re: Night beds vs day beds

Unread postby Brad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:32 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:Anyway to tell the difference between a night and day bed other than a trail camera? Are there things near or in the bed which might give a clue?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I was always under the impression night beds would be very close to food sources?
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:38 pm

I find night beds in the open fields next to food sources, right in the food source or just off the fields in more open woods etc. I would say an easy way to tell is ask yourself if it was light out would you bed in this spot with the protection security around.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Usually close to edges of fields. If you find a bed just strolling out to the woods it's proably a night bed. If you broke a sweat in a tangle of garbage than proably a day bed.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:28 pm

I agree with the majority. Most of the nightime beds I've found are large open grassy areas adjacent to fields or food sources.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun May 28, 2017 2:22 am

Bump

This is a great topic (I'm sure we've got multiple threads on it) and is a great one for discussion.

In farm country I find lots of night beds on the outside of groves, fencelines, shelter belts, etc. I'm assuming it is to keep an eye out for coyotes. They also love an open hillside that gives them a good view. Couple years ago I found an old shed on a small rolling hill of CRP. I know for a fact there is way too much commotion there for a deer to bed there during daylight hours, even after season.

Around here day beds are in the THICK.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 28, 2017 4:27 am

Its pretty obvious when its kin open grass near activity. But, I want to add that in the last few years I learned that a lot of beds I thought were day beds, were in fact night beds. I learned this by looking at buck bed camera PICS. I noticed some beds that were wore out (i always thought night beds were more random) and that were in good secure locations, were only getting buck bedded pics at night. If you search thru old threads with buck bed pictures you will find what im talking about.
It made a lot of sense as to why a few beds I had found looked great, always had fresh sign around them, but never had a buck exit them when I hunted.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun May 28, 2017 1:59 pm

I agree with Dan from my last few years observations. Best way I learned was to walk 'em up. When you jump bucks during daylight, during season, then you know what is what. I could show pics of some killer looking beds with giant rubs that never held bucks during the day as far as I could tell. Only a doe here and there. Maybe just used by does and bucks marked up the bedding when tending or maybe bucks used at night. Tough to say.

This stuff gets so complex if you let it.

My honest advice is to anyone starting out with 'bed hunting' is to get serious and aggressive with the learning curve. Run trail cams if you can (I don't, can't stand using them really) and don't be afraid to burn ground during season in order to learn it. It may not be the best way to kill a buck right now, but I promise if you place a higher value on figuring things out rather than simply killing a buck for a few seasons, in the long run it will pay off.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Mon May 29, 2017 1:33 pm

PK_ wrote:I agree with Dan from my last few years observations. Best way I learned was to walk 'em up. When you jump bucks during daylight, during season, then you know what is what. I could show pics of some killer looking beds with giant rubs that never held bucks during the day as far as I could tell. Only a doe here and there. Maybe just used by does and bucks marked up the bedding when tending or maybe bucks used at night. Tough to say.

This stuff gets so complex if you let it.

My honest advice is to anyone starting out with 'bed hunting' is to get serious and aggressive with the learning curve. Run trail cams if you can (I don't, can't stand using them really) and don't be afraid to burn ground during season in order to learn it. It may not be the best way to kill a buck right now, but I promise if you place a higher value on figuring things out rather than simply killing a buck for a few seasons, in the long run it will pay off.

This seems like great advice. I'm new to bed hunting and I've only found a couple of beds. I'm very stressed out about not having enough good beds to hunt.

I think I'm just going to dive in and learn all I can even if it cost me in the short term.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 30, 2017 1:39 am

This seems like great advice. I'm new to bed hunting and I've only found a couple of beds. I'm very stressed out about not having enough good beds to hunt.

I think I'm just going to dive in and learn all I can even if it cost me in the short term.

I go into areas where I have not scouted the bedding areas at all... From a map or on foot its not that hard to accuratly predict buck bedding areas. Not nearly as accurate as prescouting, but I have still killed a lot of bucks that way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”