Parallel buck trails(example of).

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Parallel buck trails(example of).

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Thought I'd illustrate what a parallel buck trail looks like for the benefit of those that have never seen one. The red line is a very well used deer trail with most of the traffic being does. The blue line indicates a parallel buck trail and as you can see a buck has used this trail in the picture. I have observed many bucks using this parallel trail over the years (first picture is from this year).

This is also another example of using a trail camera effectively. You can use the information for future reference, it always doesn't have to be used tomorrow.

I set a friend up on this parallel buck trail in a different location a few years ago. He killed a 150 inch buck first sit. The second picture is the same deer trail and parallel buck trail from a few years ago and this is the buck he killed.

Another small note these bucks were using these trails in Sept. so you don't need to wait until the rut to hunt this type of pattern.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: Parallel buck trails(example of).

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Cool explanation! Going to try to utilize this tactic in late Oct!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 am

I always thought a parallel buck trail was in the same direction as the more heavily used doe trail, not perpendicular to it as your pictures are showing. I thought the buck would use the parallel trail that would be downwind of the doe trail. So, if it's a N/S doe trail, the parallel trail would be N/S, and if it's W of the doe trail, he'd use on a E wind, and vice versa if E of doe trail, used on a W wind. For the W of doe trail, I setup W of the buck parallel trail for wind advantage and hunt that on an E wind. Looking at your pics, I'm beginning to think my understanding of parallel trails may not be correct. Please advise.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:28 am

The way i took it (I am no expert) is that if you had 5 or so possible trails that the does could have left the field with going W to E. The buck would try and check them ALL with one sweep by going N to S or vice verse. Cover as many of the does as possible with the least effort....
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:36 am

Very good post and I personally like illustrations for better understanding.

Thanks for sharing

huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:46 am

The doe trails are going to something, like a crop field or open pasture. The buck trails run parallel to the edge of the field (which is perpendicular to the doe trails), hence the name parallel trails.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:52 am

I will add that I've always heard them referred to as "parallel field trails". That may clear up any confusion in wording

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:54 am

Rome wrote:I always thought a parallel buck trail was in the same direction as the more heavily used doe trail, not perpendicular to it as your pictures are showing. I thought the buck would use the parallel trail that would be downwind of the doe trail. So, if it's a N/S doe trail, the parallel trail would be N/S, and if it's W of the doe trail, he'd use on a E wind, and vice versa if E of doe trail, used on a W wind. For the W of doe trail, I setup W of the buck parallel trail for wind advantage and hunt that on an E wind. Looking at your pics, I'm beginning to think my understanding of parallel trails may not be correct. Please advise.

The does are traveling to the food source from bedding and back to bedding from the food source(red line). In this case it is a corn field. The bucks are traveling in the thick cover paralleling the food source (blue line) and checking ground scent left by does. This can be for security, pre rut and to check the status of does in estrous come the rut. I should have included these pictures, in the first post to better illustrate how this actually works. My bad.

This type of pattern really does work and I have used it many times over the years.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am

huntinsonovagun wrote:I will add that I've always heard them referred to as "parallel field trails". That may clear up any confusion in wording

Good point
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:56 am

kwaldeier wrote:The way i took it (I am no expert) is that if you had 5 or so possible trails that the does could have left the field with going W to E. The buck would try and check them ALL with one sweep by going N to S or vice verse. Cover as many of the does as possible with the least effort....

Absolutely correct.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:59 am

backstraps wrote:Very good post and I personally like illustrations for better understanding.

Thanks for sharing

I try and use real visual aids (when I can) that have worked for me to help hunters better understand and gain confidence.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:17 am

Great post Stan... :clap:
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks for clarifying terminology, I have a much better understanding now. We always called them "crossing trails".

This site is the best, hands down.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:36 am

Good illustration Stan... These trails are favorites of mine right around Nov 1st + or - a week pending weather

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:05 am

Bucky wrote:Good illustration Stan... These trails are favorites of mine right around Nov 1st + or - a week pending weather

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I agree 100% they can be very productive in that time frame.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”