Parallel buck trails(example of).

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Parallel buck trails(example of).

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:02 am

Bigburner wrote:I'm guessing the parrelell trails would once again really heat up say late season where you would of had a cut bean field that was planted in winter wheat and the deer shifted to that as a primary food source?

I think the set up would work but the bucks would more than likely use the doe trails late season. This makes things very tough as the bucks are normally the last to enter the fields. With does behind and the buck not yet there, getting winded by the does is the problem. Game over.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:31 pm

On Nov 28th my buck was doing exactly this. :think:
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:39 pm

The does would travel from left to right on a few different trails and my buck came straight towards me from the Russian olive in the background. To the right is some CRP type cover and a corn field 1/2 mile away and to the left 1/4 mile is the river.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:11 am

If its not already, this should be in the all time best tactics thread. gave me a stronger understanding why ive noticed kicked up dirt and leaves on faint trails during oct nov, the boys are cruising!
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:53 am

If you get snow early enough you can find them as well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:24 am

So Dan and others....here's two maps of my private land.

The red dots are where I have observed doe's bedding. There may be more but I haven't found them or observed them. Blue lines are rub and/or scrap lines. Blue dots are where I have found rubs as well but haven't mapped them out as to whether they are a trail or just random rubs. Green lines on first map are sheer cliffs. Yellow dot is where Dan and other said they would hunt a while back.

SO, which trails would classify as parallel trails? Are they only on the outter edges adjacent to bedding and/or feeding? In this case the one trail that skirts the clearcut and crosses the road then following the field, would be the parallel trail?

The second map where I have the one blue line running N to S, is in heavy cover. That's one large thicket with small openings here and there.

first map no marks so you can see the transition edges

first map with my marks

Second map...I've been thinking about hunting that strip of woods right by the road. It's pretty thick too and connects other wooded/thicket areas. I'm thinking those blue dots are also a parallel trail following that road and field.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:38 am

I would not call these parralell trails... I would call them "trails" the point where they come together and cross the road is a funnel.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 am

You might have a parallel trail at the field edge by the yellow dot... Like I said before, some places its hard to even see a parallel trail... You gotta look close an d look right up against the bedding and fields... like 40 yards close... Find the faint trail with the rubs on the cross trails. The trails will probably, but not always, follow an interior transition.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:45 am

Dan
Do have an example you could maybe show at the workshop.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:08 am

To me the two circled area are better than a parallel trail. One is a good funnel. The other is a thoroughfare through cover. When we talk parallel trails we are looking for trails that a buck would use. If I took you to some of the parallel trails I know exist you would not see them. I know they are there because[glow=red]I have seen bucks use them[/glow].

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:11 pm

dan wrote:You might have a parallel trail at the field edge by the yellow dot... Like I said before, some places its hard to even see a parallel trail... You gotta look close an d look right up against the bedding and fields... like 40 yards close... Find the faint trail with the rubs on the cross trails. The trails will probably, but not always, follow an interior transition.

Thanks Dan...I would also like to possibly see something at a workshop.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:24 pm

dan wrote:You might have a parallel trail at the field edge by the yellow dot... Like I said before, some places its hard to even see a parallel trail... You gotta look close an d look right up against the bedding and fields... like 40 yards close... Find the faint trail with the rubs on the cross trails. The trails will probably, but not always, follow an interior transition.

So even there close to the road.. That transition where the woods meets clearcut that wouldn't possibly have one? Or around the fields to the southeast?

Are these parallel trails just small segments of trails that cross or run into others? Or are they long travel routes?

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 am

I shot a good buck nov 3 off a parallel trail set up where the parallel trail was off an interior transition like dan described, unfortunately this buck was not recovered. Doe bedding is to the east, ag field to the west. Does come out of the bedding area heading west towards food and cross an old 2 track road that runs north/south. The parallel trail is just along the inside of the timber west of the old 2 track road, about 30 yards from where the does exit bedding and about 150 yards from the ag field. My set up was 20 yards west of the parallel trail on a south east wind and shot the buck as he was traveling south to north checking the doe trails

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:16 am

checkerfred wrote:

So even there close to the road.. That transition where the woods meets clearcut that wouldn't possibly have one? Or around the fields to the southeast?

Are these parallel trails just small segments of trails that cross or run into others? Or are they long travel routes?

Small short trails... Not trails that criss cross your property.. For a parralell trail to work it has to cross doe trails that are used in daylight. Most are just used during the rut.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:17 am

Would these parallel trails exist along the outside edge of bedding areas? I have a huge pine thicket that I hunt(60 acres) and as you can see theres a trail that runs along the outside edge of the thicker pines. Theres also a trail that runs just inside the edge of the field to the east. This is public land, so the deer dont really go out in this field until after its dark. Should I hunt the parallel trail that runs along the bedding, deeper in the woods, or take a chance hunting the one along the field and hope a deer uses it while theres still legal shooting light?

Lines= Deer Trails
Green Dots= Scrapes
Red Dots = Big Rubs

I take my Bowhunting seriously

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”