Parallel buck trails(example of).

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail4ever

Re: Parallel buck trails(example of).

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:55 pm

dan wrote:This is a spot I hunted in S.W. Iowa... There were a lot of does feeding in the cut corn field every evening and some small bucks. I saw a big buck shining the field and one evening glassing. So I walked the southern edge of the cornfield and the big bucks tracks were all over chasing does apparently. So I picked the trail that had the most of the big bucks tracks and followed it in about 50 to 75 yards till I hit a faint cross trail... this spot was marked with a large rub and a scrape. To the untrained eye, it would appear to be on the heavy doe trail heading to the field, but looking up and down the faint trail I could see a rub at almost each doe trail intersection...
My set up was done poorly, mainly because of what I had for available trees that would support both me and my camera man...
Does came in and went to the field from the woods 1st. Then the really big buck showed up, on the parallel trail heading from West to East... I made a horrible shot and missed him at the base of my tree... Unfortunately, my expartners from BBO have the footage and refuse to give it back. I do have my bow cam footage though, and this hunt will show up in the next video.

But Dan, would the bucks be using that parallel trail with that wind? I thought they use that trail to skirt around and scent check the food source and for does out in the field. So, wouldn't a north wind be the wind to set up in this spot? If not, why? Just curious...

The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:34 pm

whitetail4ever wrote:
dan wrote:This is a spot I hunted in S.W. Iowa... There were a lot of does feeding in the cut corn field every evening and some small bucks. I saw a big buck shining the field and one evening glassing. So I walked the southern edge of the cornfield and the big bucks tracks were all over chasing does apparently. So I picked the trail that had the most of the big bucks tracks and followed it in about 50 to 75 yards till I hit a faint cross trail... this spot was marked with a large rub and a scrape. To the untrained eye, it would appear to be on the heavy doe trail heading to the field, but looking up and down the faint trail I could see a rub at almost each doe trail intersection...
My set up was done poorly, mainly because of what I had for available trees that would support both me and my camera man...
Does came in and went to the field from the woods 1st. Then the really big buck showed up, on the parallel trail heading from West to East... I made a horrible shot and missed him at the base of my tree... Unfortunately, my expartners from BBO have the footage and refuse to give it back. I do have my bow cam footage though, and this hunt will show up in the next video.

But Dan, would the bucks be using that parallel trail with that wind? I thought they use that trail to skirt around and scent check the food source and for does out in the field. So, wouldn't a north wind be the wind to set up in this spot? If not, why? Just curious...

I see...they are intersecting doe trails to see what doe is hot...
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:40 pm

correct, I believe the buck is just checking each trail for a hot doe...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:57 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:correct, I believe the buck is just checking each trail for a hot doe...

Yeh, Dan put up a great illustration. Exactly how I would hunt that scenario cross wind and all.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Does hunting in hill country change how you would approach this set-up, due to thermals? Say, if that woods was a larger west to east ridge, on a southwest wind the thermals would bring your scent back up the ridge wouldn't it? Primarily a morning/evening set up then?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:27 pm

whitetail4ever wrote:Does hunting in hill country change how you would approach this set-up, due to thermals? Say, if that woods was a larger west to east ridge, on a southwest wind the thermals would bring your scent back up the ridge wouldn't it? Primarily a morning/evening set up then?

You have to adjust to any wind, thermals included.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Stanley wrote:
whitetail4ever wrote:Does hunting in hill country change how you would approach this set-up, due to thermals? Say, if that woods was a larger west to east ridge, on a southwest wind the thermals would bring your scent back up the ridge wouldn't it? Primarily a morning/evening set up then?

Can you elaborate on that Stanley? How would you hunt this spot (dans map) if the above scenario were true?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:15 pm

whitetail4ever wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Can you elaborate on that Stanley? How would you hunt this spot (dans map) if the above scenario were true?

I would hunt the parallel trail to the far east with a south west wind. In the morning I would hunt above the parallel trail in the morning and below the trail in the afternoon. This should keep my scent from reaching the trail the buck would be on. You would need to check the wind with milk weed seed to make sure your scent was going where you thought and adjust from there. On flat ag ground wind is more predictable that is why you need to keep checking your scent path in the hill scenario and a definitive answer is more difficult with out doing so.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Great thread and great illustrations.
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Fantastic examples and explanations :clap:
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:57 pm

reading this thread again has still been a learning experience!
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 am

Bump for some great information
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:31 am

This is a great thread!

Edcyclopedia wrote:I hear you Dan and agree it's the norm, but I always hear a story or two of a mature Doe seemingly starting estrus earlier than most (mid-Oct)...
I've only seen this once, and at a far (glimpses), while being chased by two small bucks (2.5 year olds)...
Of course they didn't come close enough for a kill :roll:

I wanted to say something about the above comment. I have seen this too and it's always younger bucks chasing. I don't believe the doe is in estrus, I think that the young bucks just let their hormones get the best of them and start harassing the does before they are ready. One thing leads to the next and they are full out chasing her. I also think once one starts, other young buck feed off their energy and join in not really knowing whats happening. In my opinion anyways this is why you see strong chasing scenes sometimes before the actual rut starts.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:15 am

This is a great topic Stan. Thank you. I do have a question though. How do you find these parallel trails if they are not visible? Are you just using terrain and structure to determine where the buck will pass through? Also, what do you guys make of the trail that almost always borders agricultural fields just inside the timber (15 to 25 yards or so)? I always figured this trail was used by deer to visually scan a field before entering. Any thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 am

jonsimoneau wrote:This is a great topic Stan. Thank you. I do have a question though. How do you find these parallel trails if they are not visible? Are you just using terrain and structure to determine where the buck will pass through? Also, what do you guys make of the trail that almost always borders agricultural fields just inside the timber (15 to 25 yards or so)? I always figured this trail was used by deer to visually scan a field before entering. Any thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Great question. If you have a good food source like a bean field or a corn field and multiple trails going towards it. that is a great place to start. One of the best methods is trail cameras You get 24/7 surveillance and can actually check those cameras more often than say close to a buck or doe bedding area. If you can, look for tracks, but in my opinion this is the hardest method. Hard ground, timber floor with leaves, grass, heavy thick brush all make seeing tracks next to impossible.

Lets also not forget surveillance stands, this is how I normally find them. I can then set up a camera to see what is going on. A lot of guys don't like to use trail cameras but cameras are sometimes the best unused tool. As for the trails you mentioned 15 to 20 yards inside the timber edge I would not hesitate to sit on those. I mean those would be the least invasive set ups I can think of. I'm all about low impact on small properties.

One thing to also keep in mind not every buck will use the parallel tail. So it's kind of a win win situation sitting on parallel trails.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”