Parallel buck trails(example of).

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phade
500 Club

Re: Parallel buck trails(example of).

Unread postby phade » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:32 am

Shoff...if you can't access from the neighboring property...I'd walk up assuming the SE wind...on the west side border to prevent burning your ground. There's a pinch in the woods right on the w border. I'd loop in behind the trail you noted.

Not perfect, but you got to play the cards you are dealt.

*Edit...see Stanley's map...his path on the W is what I was noting.

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
SHoff10

Unread postby SHoff10 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:19 am

Guys,

Thanks for the clarification. Stan, thank you for taking the time to go through and show where you would hunt and how you would approach each spot. I guess I was just confused because I thought that you wanted the wind to go from the field to the bedding because bucks would then be able to not only check each doe trail, but to scent check the entire field at the same time.

Does this look like a piece of property you guys would hunt? I've never hunted this property or ag fields. If you went in and didn't see rubs or scrapes along the parallel trail would you sit it once or just move on to a different chunk of land?

Thanks again!!
“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:27 am

SHoff10 wrote:Guys,

Thanks for the clarification. Stan, thank you for taking the time to go through and show where you would hunt and how you would approach each spot. I guess I was just confused because I thought that you wanted the wind to go from the field to the bedding because bucks would then be able to not only check each doe trail, but to scent check the entire field at the same time.

Does this look like a piece of property you guys would hunt? I've never hunted this property or ag fields. If you went in and didn't see rubs or scrapes along the parallel trail would you sit it once or just move on to a different chunk of land?

Thanks again!!

You can't let your scent go into where the bucks are or does for that matter. The property looks good to me. I would definitely hunt it. Bucks can use their eyes to check the open fields.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:07 am

ttt
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:27 am

Good bump Bass! Great thread!

Is now, late October, or November a good time to start hunting these parallel buck trails?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:11 am

Sweet Shot 7 wrote:Good bump Bass! Great thread!

Is now, late October, or November a good time to start hunting these parallel buck trails?

I hunt them right now in October.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:46 am

So, the trails that the buck is traveling, are those trails actually visable, or are the bucks just randomly picking their way through the woods crossing the doe trails as they go?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:54 am

dreaming bucks wrote:So, the trails that the buck is traveling, are those trails actually visable, or are the bucks just randomly picking their way through the woods crossing the doe trails as they go?

Most often not visible. Reason being they don't get the traffic the doe trails do. Bucks like to remain hidden at all times. These parallel trails provide security and they can still check for hot does.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:17 am

dreaming bucks wrote:So, the trails that the buck is traveling, are those trails actually visable, or are the bucks just randomly picking their way through the woods crossing the doe trails as they go?

Im kind of surprised by Stans answer... If the parallel trail is used to find does, it get used most in daylight during pre-rut which I would say don't start picking up till the last week in October...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:40 am

dan wrote:

Im kind of surprised by Stans answer... If the parallel trail is used to find does, it get used most in daylight during pre-rut which I would say don't start picking up till the last week in October...

I hear you Dan and agree it's the norm, but I always hear a story or two of a mature Doe seemingly starting estrus earlier than most (mid-Oct)...
I've only seen this once, and at a far (glimpses), while being chased by two small bucks (2.5 year olds)...
Of course they didn't come close enough for a kill :roll:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:26 am

I have some of these I will start hunting from the 20th of October on. I try to wait for that first good cold front though.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:16 am

Do you ignore the thermal tunnels in these examples? Which is more important to hunt...the thermal tunnel (scent blowing into the woods) or parallel trail (scent blowing into the field)?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:52 am

dan wrote:

I think a lot of guys think a parallel buck trail will be as pronounced as a deer trail. I have not found that to be the case. A doe trail will have doe groups & small bucks using the trails to the food source. Thus the doe trails are more heavily used. In my experiences mature bucks don't use heavily trodden trails very much. I can't ever remember killing a good buck on a heavily used doe trail.

I have also added some more pictures illustrating the bucks paralleling the doe trail. Some bucks use the same trails but the trails are not as pronounced (hardly visible) as the heavily used doe trail. You can actually see the doe trail but the parallel buck trails are not very visible, if at all. Also the bucks don't necessarily use the same trail every time either. Keep in mind anything can happen and you may hunt an area with pronounced parallel buck trails.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 am

wmihunter wrote:Do you ignore the thermal tunnels in these examples? Which is more important to hunt...the thermal tunnel (scent blowing into the woods) or parallel trail (scent blowing into the field)?

Your scent cannot go into the bedding area nor can it blow into the direction the deer are headed to feed. An off wind would be the best option.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Wow Stan, those are some nice bucks your onto.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”