Parallel buck trails(example of).

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Parallel buck trails(example of).

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:28 am

Mathewshooter wrote:Would these parallel trails exist along the outside edge of bedding areas? I have a huge pine thicket that I hunt(60 acres) and as you can see theres a trail that runs along the outside edge of the thicker pines. Theres also a trail that runs just inside the edge of the field to the east. This is public land, so the deer dont really go out in this field until after its dark. Should I hunt the parallel trail that runs along the bedding, deeper in the woods, or take a chance hunting the one along the field and hope a deer uses it while theres still legal shooting light?

Lines= Deer Trails
Green Dots= Scrapes
Red Dots = Big Rubs

I have to think hunting the parallel trail that runs along the bedding, deeper in the woods, would be more productive than the open field trails. Hunting where the bucks are on their feet during daylight hrs the most is the key.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:40 am

Stanley wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:Would these parallel trails exist along the outside edge of bedding areas? I have a huge pine thicket that I hunt(60 acres) and as you can see theres a trail that runs along the outside edge of the thicker pines. Theres also a trail that runs just inside the edge of the field to the east. This is public land, so the deer dont really go out in this field until after its dark. Should I hunt the parallel trail that runs along the bedding, deeper in the woods, or take a chance hunting the one along the field and hope a deer uses it while theres still legal shooting light?

Lines= Deer Trails
Green Dots= Scrapes
Red Dots = Big Rubs

I have to think hunting the parallel trail that runs along the bedding, deeper in the woods, would be more productive than the open field trails. Hunting where the bucks are on their feet during daylight hrs the most is the key.

Thanks...I was thinking the same thing myself. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something. Maybe I'll set a trail cam on the field edge trail this fall and see what time the deer are coming through there, while hunting the other trail deeper in the woods. Both of these trails are also on the predominate downwind side of the thicket.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:47 am

This is a great thread. Leaving work early today to hunt this type of scenario. Have been watching a field close to home that has does coming out pretty regularly at dusk. Have a good wind for it.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 am

Bump. Some great visuals from Stan here
Deerhunter323

Unread postby Deerhunter323 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am

Hey guys, I have done one scouting trip to an out of state area this year that I plan on hunting. When I scouted the area I found a ridge with a lot of bedding (marked in blue) and then what looked like a faint trail down at the base that crossed all of the other trails going between food and bedding(red lines). What I am wondering is where would you set up and what time of day if you take into account wind directions and thermals? Hills mixed with farm is new to me.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed May 15, 2019 11:38 pm

Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:Good illustration Stan... These trails are favorites of mine right around Nov 1st + or - a week pending weather

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I agree 100% they can be very productive in that time frame.

I believe most of the buck activity will occur late morning after does have chosen bedding for the day. That would be the simple way for a buck to locate a hot doe in a safe area. Evening works too if the does are undisturbed and end up in the crop fields .
Judging human disturbances could decide when to hunt, where earlier in season they are on natural movement.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:53 am

justdirtyfun wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:Good illustration Stan... These trails are favorites of mine right around Nov 1st + or - a week pending weather

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I agree 100% they can be very productive in that time frame.

I believe most of the buck activity will occur late morning after does have chosen bedding for the day. That would be the simple way for a buck to locate a hot doe in a safe area. Evening works too if the does are undisturbed and end up in the crop fields .
Judging human disturbances could decide when to hunt, where earlier in season they are on natural movement.

Correct mid to late morning starting in late October. People probably look at me funny sitting right off field edge on thick parallel trail.... but sometimes that is where you need to be!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:50 am

This thread is gold. When looking for doe bedding areas, would a 5-8 year old cut work well for that? If so, an optimal set up would be to hunt the downwind side of the cruising trail with the wind blowing from the cut, correct?
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:42 am

Also, as far as parallel trails, is there perimeter trails? Like where the buck is traveling in the open hugging the thicket? The buck my boy shot was in the field egde walking and eating at a somewhat fast pace. Had his head to the ground most of the time eating. Seemed very comfortable while out. Sunset that day was at 5:24(legal shooting light til 5:54) he shot him right at 5pm give or take a minute. Field was a small 0.6 acre food plot with a trail to other food plots. I never found his bed backtracking the direction he came from but found a lot of doe bedding about 200yds from where we were at. Is this common for bucks to travel like this? And that early? This was November 3rd.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:23 am

The past few seasons no other thread peaked my interest more than this one. With both time in woods and trail cameras I decided I would share my findings. First off, don’t take my word for it cause I’m often I’m a bit off or arrive at the right place but for the wrong reason. These are just my findings with how my mind currently relates....

My first point of order would be if hunting bedding, doesn’t matter doe or buck a hunter would be better suited hunting the downwind side. Even with doe they don’t walk blindly into a thicket and hope for the best. This translates to no fresh trails on the upwind side.

With cruising bucks searching doe bedding areas I still say u are 100x better off on the downwind side of doe bedding. The only bucks I see cruising upwind are young bucks that haven’t learned the game. Why u ask.... well why cruising upwind the buck is blowing into the doe bedding and runs them out the back door. Mature bucks know better! They have been to the circuses and rode all the rides. Now in hill country (late morning-midday) a mature buck might cruise the leeward side of a ridge above the doe bedding which some interpret as upward. But in my opinion the rising thermal is more dependable than the wind direction which often swirls in hill country.

Outside of bedding or destinations (middle ground) I found u don’t have a clue which direction a buck will come from. Wind direction don’t seem to matter, how they cut trails don’t seem to matter when they are in hot pursuit. Just my opinion on the subject take it as with a grain of salt cause it might change completely next season :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”