Soooo close!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Soooo close!

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:25 pm

I set up tonight NOT on a certain bed but a trail that connects multiple buck bed trails that use it to get to the field which has alfalfa and beans close by. It comes out in the corner of a double inside corner. It was down low so it was very tricky with wind. I came in slowly and used the milkweed to check wind as I went along to get to this trail. This was the first time I have hunted it. Wind/thermals was blowing my scent away from the trail into my face. I figured later on instead of rising the scent would drop and it did but still gave me a crosswind. I first had a doe and fawn come in using this trail and I was confused because I have only seen bucks use this trail in the past. Since I got my doe last Sunday I passed a 15 yard shot on her and her fawn. 20 minutes later I heard a stick snap. I just knew it was a deer coming. At first glance I thought he was a yearling but he grew as he came in. He was a 9 pointer with about a 17-18 inch spread 3 yr old. It was getting close to dark and was very quiet. I drew back while he was in some brush 15 yards from me walking towards my shooting lane. IDK if he saw me drawback or heard it but he looked right up at me. I had a broadside shot but with a very small hole to shoot through the brush in his midsection. I hesitated and he took of running but never snort wheezed. I stayed until complete darkness and saw another doe and fawn come out from a different trail. I was about 30 yards into the woods.

Should I give this spot another try or move on?

GRFox
500 Club

Re: Soooo close!

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:35 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I set up tonight NOT on a certain bed but a trail that connects multiple buck bed trails that use it to get to the field which has alfalfa and beans close by. It comes out in the corner of a double inside corner. It was down low so it was very tricky with wind. I came in slowly and used the milkweed to check wind as I went along to get to this trail. This was the first time I have hunted it. Wind/thermals was blowing my scent away from the trail into my face. I figured later on instead of rising the scent would drop and it did but still gave me a crosswind. I first had a doe and fawn come in using this trail and I was confused because I have only seen bucks use this trail in the past. Since I got my doe last Sunday I passed a 15 yard shot on her and her fawn. 20 minutes later I heard a stick snap. I just knew it was a deer coming. At first glance I thought he was a yearling but he grew as he came in. He was a 9 pointer with about a 17-18 inch spread 3 yr old. It was getting close to dark and was very quiet. I drew back while he was in some brush 15 yards from me walking towards my shooting lane. IDK if he saw me drawback or heard it but he looked right up at me. I had a broadside shot but with a very small hole to shoot through the brush in his midsection. I hesitated and he took of running but never snort wheezed. I stayed until complete darkness and saw another doe and fawn come out from a different trail. I was about 30 yards into the woods.

Should I give this spot another try or move on?

I would get back in there tomorrow or the next time you have the same wind conditions. Walk on the trail he came in on, from where you were sitting to where you first saw him coming down the trail, from there I would take an educated guess on where he is bedding and either move in closer or set up right there or at the next trail that branches off of the trail he used. Thats what I would personally do, but I am not the expert here. JMO.

Sucks that you didn't get the shot at him, keep at it man.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm

I wouldn't set up where you were again. I'd try to move closer to the area he came from. Distance you move is subjective depending on how far away you might think he is bedding.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Edit
baz59

Unread postby baz59 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Yeah I'd say hunt there again when conditions are good. Maybe a little further back towards his bed..

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Bedding areas can hold more than one buck. I would move closer to the bedding area see what happens.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I wouldn't set up where you were again. I'd try to move closer to the area he came from. Distance you move is subjective depending on how far away you might think he is bedding.

I agree.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:18 am

Stanley wrote:Bedding areas can hold more than one buck. I would move closer to the bedding area see what happens.

X2
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:48 am

Hunt same area but move back.... agree

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:29 am

Ok thanks for the suggestions guys. I know where the bed is, I was about 150 yards from it which is pretty far away. I will try to get closer when I get the same conditions again.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:59 am

I agree wit Stan, Bucky, and the others... Only other piece of advice I have is try not to draw the bow until you have a clear shot. Mature bucks are very keen to whats going on around them and will often catch you drawing, if he is in a shooting lane you will likely still get a shot because they hesitate before running most of the time while they figure out if your a squirrel (or whatever) or a threat. But if they hesitate before the opening, there you sit with a drawn bow and no shot and pretty soon you have to let the bow back down while he is watching... I only pre-draw in situations where I have too because the deer is moving fast and the shot window is short.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:03 am

dan wrote:I agree wit Stan, Bucky, and the others... Only other piece of advice I have is try not to draw the bow until you have a clear shot. Mature bucks are very keen to whats going on around them and will often catch you drawing, if he is in a shooting lane you will likely still get a shot because they hesitate before running most of the time while they figure out if your a squirrel (or whatever) or a threat. But if they hesitate before the opening, there you sit with a drawn bow and no shot and pretty soon you have to let the bow back down while he is watching... I only pre-draw in situations where I have too because the deer is moving fast and the shot window is short.

x2 on the drawing... they usually get you unless heavy cover or sky high
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:48 am

Thanks for the advice everyone...

Dan and Bucky....I have always struggled with when to pull my bow back. I guess I figured if I pulled back in the brush he wouldnt be able to see me doing it. I guess it bit me in the but this time. I will remember your advice. Thanks. BHBH
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:02 am

Yup, and don't stop him with a grunt or anything..That will turn them inside out also.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:04 am

How high were you?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”