Hunting beds without evidence?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Hunting beds without evidence?

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 am

How many of you beast style bed hunters, hunt beds without evidence of a buck being there? Do you go in spot check look for tracks trails coming out first? Make sure your getting a nice buck on a trail camera? Make sure your seeing them in adjacent fields shining? I have multiple beds that I found this winter/spring that were really appetizing looking to hunt. I'm reluctant on putting out trail cameras in these spots because of other hunters and I don't want to get too close to the bed itself. In a couple of the spots the fields are dry at night shining, except some are corn fields you can't see..so who knows. I haven't spot checked any areas yet...might have to come up with some plans. I was debating on just trying and sitting some of the spots without evidence. Do any of you have good luck hunting without any sort of evidence there is a big buck frequenting the area? Thanks.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Hunting beds without evidence?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 am

Great question.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 am

I hunt beds without evidence a lot... And have had a lot of success doing so. You need to be confident in your scouting. A lot of the time there is very little sign at the staging area, especially if a mature buck is the only one there.
Think about what they are doing at different times of the year. You found a bed there scouting that your sure was getting used. That will repeat itself, even if you shoot the buck, every year or every other year, bucks will most likely be bedding there. Are they bedding there only when there is an acorn crop? Are they bedding there for security alone? In conjunction with food? Is the bed in relation to the ladys? Rut based?
Primary beds get used all year and are the best to find and hunt.
If you are not sure when they are bedding there, throw up a stand and see what happens, if nothing happens wait a month and repeat... If the bed only gets used in early season and you hunt it late season, your out of luck... Keep tract of when you have action at each spot, timing will repeat itself.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 am

Sounds good. I'm going to start to do so This Friday!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Great question! I was wondering the same thing but could not figure out how to say it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:20 pm

I've moved in on a bedding area and killed a buck more than once without any evidence. As already mentioned, don't overhunt the spot and log what you encountered while there for future reference.

I rely heavily on tracks and even droppings can help tip me off. Some guys that hunt big marshes think monitoring a buck through his tracks can't be done because of a lack of dry ground- and this may be true to a point. But even when I cut an oversized track on dry ground a long ways away from the bedding area it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a buck of that age may well be bedded in the most secure bedding area around- which is where I scout / prep / hunt.
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Excellent question. Thanks for asking as I have wondered as well. Thanks for the answers as they make sense :)

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”