getting out of the marsh in the dark

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vwj

getting out of the marsh in the dark

Unread postby vwj » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm so glad I have a gps to help me out. I keep hearing yyou guys walking long distances to get to your stand. Obviously when you walk during the day you know where everything is, but once sunsets the cattails are higher then your head. Do you guys use markers or what to get back?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Re: getting out of the marsh in the dark

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I have a Garmin Oregon 450t and when I walk in new areas I track my path while trying to choose the easiest route.

When I walk out in really thick areas I zoom in to 20ft so I can follow the exact path back out instead of just crashing through making a new path. This will keep you out of really bad areas you can sometimes end up in like deep water or floating bogs. Don't think either will be a problem this year in WI as dry as it is. :lol:

Most areas I have been hunting all my life and don't even bother with a GPS, just a compass here and there to double check direction of travel.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Last night my son and I got turned around after dark in an area of marsh we weren't familiar with, especially after dark. We couldn't really get lost because there's only so much "woods" before we hit marsh again, but I set my backpack down to look at my phone/GPS to find our location. As we walked out I realized that I left my pack, which held my release, wallet, and keys, somewhere. I had to call my wife and have her put my spare key on the tire of my car so it would be there when we got out. We didn't actually get to our car until about 915 last night which is 30 minutes later than usual after our normal hike out. Luckily a fellow beast member offered to come today and search with us. Not only did he find my pack, but he found my sunglasses I dropped on opening day! Thanks Gary (hoot) for the help. I owe you when you drag a big one out.

Last edited by Chris Conroy on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:41 pm

In a unfamiliar area sometimes i will use twist tie reflectors. They work better than reflector tacks since they can be attached to brush or even cattails.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”