Hit Doe waiting until morning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Hit Doe waiting until morning

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 pm

I decided to sit on the ground tonight on a fenceline with good cover. There is fresh cut corn on one side and alfalfa on the other. There is an island about 100 yards away and woods 100 yards to my north. At 6:15PM tonight I had a lone doe come in and had a perfect broadside 20 yard shot. I settled the pin and shot and watched as my arrow hit her at the back of the lungs and into the liver for sure. She did a mule kick and hunched up once I hit her. The shot was perfectly centered not high or low. However, she ran off and I heard her snort wheeze 80 yards away which worried me. I waited until dark to check my arrow. I got a pass through with red blood covering the arrow. It wasnt dark red blood like a liver though which confuses me. There were not any guts on the arrow or the smell of guts. I had good red blood right away and quite a bit but it turned into spots every foot or so. I told my dad we should back out and wait till morning because the blood trail was fading. We tracked her 60 yards and stopped where she went back into the standing corn.

Any advice on what you think I hit with normal color red blood all over the arrow? But then a light blood trail? Looked like liver and back of lungs.

Anyways I will be looking for her in the morning hoping I find her. We never kicked her up while tracking.

Brad

Re: Hit Doe waiting until morning

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:13 pm

I shot a buck last year higher and further back and had similar blood, I couldn't tell where I hit him when I shot so I didn't know what I had while tracking him, but once I found him he had been double lunged through the very back of the lungs, I mean within half inch of not being lungs. Perhaps you were not as far back as you thought? Either way sounds like a dead deer.

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I decided to sit on the ground tonight on a fenceline with good cover. There is fresh cut corn on one side and alfalfa on the other. There is an island about 100 yards away and woods 100 yards to my north. At 6:15PM tonight I had a lone doe come in and had a perfect broadside 20 yard shot. I settled the pin and shot and watched as my arrow hit her at the back of the lungs and into the liver for sure. She did a mule kick and hunched up once I hit her. The shot was perfectly centered not high or low. However, she ran off and I heard her snort wheeze 80 yards away which worried me. I waited until dark to check my arrow. I got a pass through with red blood covering the arrow. It wasnt dark red blood like a liver though which confuses me. There were not any guts on the arrow or the smell of guts. I had good red blood right away and quite a bit but it turned into spots every foot or so. I told my dad we should back out and wait till morning because the blood trail was fading. We tracked her 60 yards and stopped where she went back into the standing corn.

Any advice on what you think I hit with normal color red blood all over the arrow? But then a light blood trail? Looked like liver and back of lungs.

Anyways I will be looking for her in the morning hoping I find her. We never kicked her up while tracking.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks Brad...Yeah I might have had about the same hit you had in the back of the lungs I just dont understand why there is so little blood when it looked like a solid hit whether I hit lungs or liver. It sure is a rush shooting one from the ground though....different feeling than shooting one up in a tree.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:25 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Thanks Brad...Yeah I might have had about the same hit you had in the back of the lungs I just dont understand why there is so little blood when it looked like a solid hit whether I hit lungs or liver. It sure is a rush shooting one from the ground though....different feeling than shooting one up in a tree.

Mine did not have a great blood trail either, he had some leaves that were mostly all bloody but most of it was a drop or two here and there every couple of feet. good luck in the morning, and make sure when you find it you follow up on this thread so we know where you hit, its always good to know for when one of us has something similar.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:31 pm

I hope I find her....Im taking a camera with and will take pics of shot placement to show everyone if I find her. Along with posting the story on a seperate thread. Fingers crossed. :pray:
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Sometimes they do not let alot of blood out, but bleed alot inside.

Hope it goes well.

I also stayed on the ground this evening.
Got to my tree and does came out north and south as I was getting ready to set up.

Had an orphaned fawn come by and smell the broadhead as I stood there with my bow in my hand.
I felt like giving it a loud BOO... :lol: but just stayed still.

It was kinda cute. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Zap wrote:Sometimes they do not let alot of blood out, but bleed alot inside.

Hope it goes well.

I also stayed on the ground this evening.
Got to my tree and does came out north and south as I was getting ready to set up.

Had an orphaned fawn come by and smell the broadhead as I stood there with my bow in my hand.
I felt like giving it a loud BOO... :lol: but just stayed still.

It was kinda cute. :mrgreen:

Funny story Zap! They can get really close on the ground. After I shot that doe I had a yearling buck come in at 5 yards in front of me right at dark. That got my heart pumpin good!
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Good luck finding the doe tomorrow. Like Marty said if the hit is higher on the deer from the ground the chest cavity has to fill up before you will get much blood. When you are in a stand your exit hole is closer to the bottom of the chest cavity so it doesn't have to fill up as much.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”