I Feel Terrible

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

I Feel Terrible

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:47 pm

I ran low on time coming back from Appleton tonight, so I went without a stand and without the camera into a 15 acre rectangle of mature hardwoods with about an hour of light left. I have been getting trail cam photos of does and fawns during light there, but they kind of wander instead of always taking the same path. So I walked to the middle so I could see both sides of the woods and stood. There was really NO cover for me so I basically stood behind a tree. Lots of squirrels, no deer right away.

Then with about 30 minutes of light left, I heard a car off in the distance. About 20 seconds later, the woods erupted and about 8-10 does came running full steam at me, dispersing to the left and right of me. I drew back and aimed at the closest one. They all stopped to look back. The one I was aiming at was about 25-30 yards and ever so slightly quartering to. I thought about making the shot right away, but I figured "she doesn't see me yet, standing in the open 25 yards away, so I'll wait to see what she does". Well, about a minute later, she started looking around, and she locked onto me. Well, one of my legs started shaking and I know she could see the movement. So now I thought "better take that shot before she turns toward me or bolts". Her front leg was forward, even though slightly quartering to. I visualized the offside lung, and placed my pin right on the crease of her leg. "Should easily take out both lungs" I thought to myself. I touched the release, and instantly she wheeled around quicker than I thought was possible. Problem was she turned towards me. The arrow hit as she was directly facing me, right in the middle of the front of the chest. I couldn't really tell how much penetration I got. The lighted nock popped off the back of the arrow right away, so that was what my eyes naturally shifted to after the shot (thinking the whole arrow bounced out). I watched her run for about 60 yards until I lost sight. It seemed like she started to slow though.

About ten minutes later, I could see a deer in that general direction. At first I thought it was the same one, and I nocked another arrow prepared for the follow up. As it got closer I could see it was a different doe. She was beginning to get in range, and I was still standing out in the open. I drew back, and she walked broadside about 25 yards. I thought "well I can't pass up this chip shot". I put split the difference on my 20 and 30 yard pins and hit the release. I don't know if she ducked or what, but the arrow hit high. I remember thinking it was about the level of the spine, right behind the shoulder, but she didn't drop. It was a pass through. She ran off about 50 yards and stopped. She walked slow for about 20-30 seconds. I drew back and shot a follow up arrow. The arrow ricocheted off about 4 branches and hit a tree. Worse was that the deer started running again. She went about 15 yards before I couldn't see or hear anything anymore. I sneaked out of there and will have to go looking in the morning. This sucks. I know the first shot could be lethal, but it's never a shot I would have tried to take. And I have a feeling that the second shot might have been backstraps and nothing more. :oops:

Zap

Re: I Feel Terrible

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Stuff happens, I hope it works out for you.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Im confused?? So you have 2 different deer hit or you hit the first doe twice?? Neither shot sounds to promising. Best of luck in the morning though!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Live and learn buddy. Do not beat yourself up. The second deer may be fine. The first one may very well be down. Take your time and follow up on both.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:00 pm

I can't say on the second one but hopefully you get it. The first one will be dead, I've seen that shot a lot lately (intentionally) and it really does put the hurt on them. I don't know if I would take it intentionally ( I know you didn't), but every one I have seen has been massive blood trails and a dead deer.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Good luck tomorrow. First deer should be dead. Second one check the arrow probably all backstrap but follow it anyway. Hoping for the best

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
James
ProStaff

Unread postby James » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:49 pm

When you bowhunt long enough you're bound to have an evening like that. i've been there before. Give them a good followup in the morning and keep your chin up.
My YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/jamessqr
My hunting journal and blog - http://www.james-squires.com
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Hopefully the first one didn't go far before bedding down. If she didn't you should be able to find her dead in her bed without to much trouble. She is a definitely a dead deer. The other one sounds like it will be tough to find and you may not have hit vitals, but you never know. You might have caught a big blood vessel. If not you may have just got meat and she will probably be OK. Good luck!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:20 pm

That was some flurry of activity! Good luck with your search! It seems really likely the first doe is dead. It will be a pretty full morning for you.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:52 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:I Feel Terrible

That's one of the things that separates us from animals. It's good to know your conscience still works. I personally never want to feel nothing when fail to make a clean kill. Still, like the other guys have said, and as you know well, that's part of hunting. Try to learn from it. Hopefully you still find the deer you shot.

From another angle though, you demonstrated how effective improvising from the ground can be. I admire your hunting skills.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:39 am

I found her! Well, at least the first one. Second one had zero blood, arrow didn't have hardly any blood either, mostly hair. I covered about a 10 acre area looking. Quite confident now that it was backstrap and that deer will be fine.

The first one though... Only went 70 yards! When she started slowing down and I lost sight, that's where she crashed, lung blood everywhere. And the body is Huge! Can't believe I was able to get it done on the ground with a bow and no blind. I really got lucky. I didn't get much sleep last night but feel much better now.

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/teenathlete3030/IMAG0406_zps8cbf92a0.jpg[/IMG]

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via Android ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/Android.png[/img]
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:43 am

A big congrats to you, totally awesome!!!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:07 am

Sweet! I'm glad it worked out for ya :clap:
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:51 am

Excellent! Glad you recovered her quickly!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:01 am

Glad you got at least one of them. Good job!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”