How to hunt CRP?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Re: How to hunt CRP?

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:22 am

Until a few years ago I had hunted CRP/immature tree farms almost exclusively. Observation stands are an absolute must you will learn a ton. Stay as far away as you can and get as high as you can. Even though it looks wide open from above you'll notice that the deer don't move randomly, ends up hunting essentially like cattails but you don't have to get wet. The deer will use any subtle elevation change, try getting your hands on a 2ft contour map instead of the standard 10 ft. On other thing I have had success with if it's an option is if there are any, even a single mature tree in the CRP, if there is decent cover put a stand in it. When it is thick the deer seem to use these almost as travel markers. I notice that several trails will lead to tree and then to their destination, does especially. This ends up being my favorite rut setup even they don't stand out as a definite funnel, it does in fact funnel the deer. Mornings are difficult to get out without getting busted, there will be a lot of night beds, even a hundred yards or so in from the crops. (I confirmed this with a 3 a.m. scurry up an observation stand with a spot light a few years ago.)

evangorp
Facebook: evangorp66@hotmail.com

Unread postby evangorp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:31 am

Would it be foolish to set up an observation stand before the season starts and spend a few evenings trying to see what the deer do, or should I just wait until the season starts?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 am

evangorp wrote:Would it be foolish to set up an observation stand before the season starts and spend a few evenings trying to see what the deer do, or should I just wait until the season starts?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I would be out there prior to the season if legal.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:34 am

I would be out there right away. I don't imagine it would be illegal, but it shouldn't take long to find out.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:40 am

I hunt them alot off the ground, no blind just make a make shift one.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am

Ghilly suit???
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:41 pm

What kind of ghillie suit or blind do yall recommend in crp fields?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:03 pm

those crp fields are a blessing and a curse at the same time. i have the same thing where i hunt. they lay out there and scent check the woods all day.i have climbed in the stand ,only to watch them running away over 100yrds. away.
it just seems to me they have a cunning way of predicting the wind ,when they bed.
and they can go from one end to the other and just a few spots can you see him. the best i can ask for is a north wind to let my scent blow back toward the parking lot.

but let a hot doe cross that field and come in to the woods and then the bucks follow her right in. it makes it all worth while.
I'm not saying stocking one in those fields can't be done ,but I'm here to tell you it won't be easy or real productive. there's to many odds stacked against you.
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:57 pm

CRP buck.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:57 pm

CRP buck.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:32 am

evangorp wrote:The west side of the river is planted in corn, majority of the fields around the area are corn. Some to the north might be beans, but I have to check again. The river probably isn't more than a foot to foot and a half deep, there are more four wheeler tracks running up and down the river than there is water. Not sure I have ever seen the rivers this dry around here, it just makes it super easier for hunters to cross them, and deer as well. No swimming is required. I did find one spot where it seems like they come out of the timber on the west side and cross the river and come up the bluff. I came across some big circles of downed grass in the middle, would these be beds of just grass downed by wind. Pretty much perfect circles 10-15 yards wide?

Doe bedding.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:16 pm

I hunt a lot of crp. I have jumped more bucks out of crp than anything else. Some of it I hunt is getting pretty grown up now with some little trees. I've had luck just a few feet off the ground in a small willow tree. Have to thank dan for this idea but this year I am using a wooden ladder that's only about 6 feet tall. I'm gonna position myself right in front of some of the small trees growing up in the crp, gonna try to cut some limbs back on the opposite side facing the buck beds so I can actually place the ladder right in the tree. Some of the trails lead past these trees so could be very interesting. I really believe this is going to work well for me this year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Where I hunt in the midwest the crp holds the deer. I've brainstormed this over and over. The crp is ab chest high. The very best setup I can think is a 2 or 3 step step ladder with a seat and a guillie suit. Not 2 high to be sky lined but just the right angle for a bow shot. Any other ideas would b appreciated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”