Ask Andrae???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Ask Andrae???

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:02 am

dan wrote:
I would like to know if he were to spook a buck accidently, would he automatically move on to a different bed location on his next hunt or if he would back out and give that location another shot on his next hunt,knowing it bedded there with the current conditions. Or would he move to another bed automatically assuming the buck moved on to a different bed right away? How often a spooked buck returned to the same bed the next day or within a few days. I understand the bump and dump tactic but I think a buck would return to that bed knowing the bed was working in those conditions. If that makes any sense?

He said that you would have a hard time getting a mature buck to abandon its bedding area... He says he keeps hunting till he kills them, or they quit coming but, generally, the mature bucks of the caliber he hunts generally will come right back... That has been my experience with mature bucks to some degree too... but not with younger bucks of say 2 or 3 years old...

I agree 100%. Big mature bucks rarely relocate from a core bedding area. Lots of what you read on this subject in main stream magazines is incorrect. They are there for a reason....

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:42 am

I have always kinda thought that if a big buck gets busted out of his bed and he survived, it has to make him more confident in that bed. It served it's purpose, thus why wouldn't he use it again?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 am

Bucky wrote:
dan wrote:
I would like to know if he were to spook a buck accidently, would he automatically move on to a different bed location on his next hunt or if he would back out and give that location another shot on his next hunt,knowing it bedded there with the current conditions. Or would he move to another bed automatically assuming the buck moved on to a different bed right away? How often a spooked buck returned to the same bed the next day or within a few days. I understand the bump and dump tactic but I think a buck would return to that bed knowing the bed was working in those conditions. If that makes any sense?

He said that you would have a hard time getting a mature buck to abandon its bedding area... He says he keeps hunting till he kills them, or they quit coming but, generally, the mature bucks of the caliber he hunts generally will come right back... That has been my experience with mature bucks to some degree too... but not with younger bucks of say 2 or 3 years old...

I agree 100%. Big mature bucks rarely relocate from a core bedding area. Lots of what you read on this subject in main stream magazines is incorrect. They are there for a reason....

Yup, and there are only so many of the good bedding areas out there.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:14 pm

I agree too. Mature bucks in my experience tend to stick to a relatively small area. In Sw WI bucks we pictured or found sheds of usually got killed or seen within a couple hundred yards.... I think big woods Slobs are more homebody than people realize too!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks Dan for taking your time to get answers to our questions. It is really appreciated! Excellent feedback.

Thanks so much!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:11 pm

All I can say is WOW! I picked up a ton right here, thanks for asking him our questions Dan, its very much appreciated!
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 am

Awesome content here. Why this site is the #1 no BS hunting site.

Keep it up Dan. Definitely looking forward to the DVD but glad you are taking your time to get it right.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:18 am

This thread will be thoroughly read when I get home tonight.

Long live the KILL!
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Wow, great interview and read. I probably learned more from that than I have from every main stream magazine I have ever read. Thanks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
scooters

Unread postby scooters » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Bucky wrote:
dan wrote:

So if this true that its hard to relocate Big Bucks out of their core bedding area. Why then can't you try a couple of weeks later with a slitley different setup to kill them until you hvae success? Why does everyone try once maybe twice then quit for the yr?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:24 am

scooters wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Bucky wrote:
dan wrote:

So if this true that its hard to relocate Big Bucks out of their core bedding area. Why then can't you try a couple of weeks later with a slitley different setup to kill them until you hvae success? Why does everyone try once maybe twice then quit for the yr?

I think you can keep trying to kill that buck in the bedding area. I hunted one last year and seen him five times in and around his bedding area; he obviously knew I was hunting him, but kept evading me by 45-50 yards here and there. I was never closer to killing that buck than the very first night I went out to hunt him. I only hunted the same tree twice and the other three sits were 100 yards and 150 yards away from the first tree.

I think what everyone is trying to do is capitalize when your first hunt is the best at any given stand site. Sure, you can keep hunting the buck but I think your chances decrease everytime you go in there because they know what is going on.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:18 am

Depends on a few factors...
1st off, big difference in the amount of pressure where Andrae hunts, and where i hunt... They are a little more touchy on pressured land. Bucks on the public propertys where I hunt have had everything in the book thrown at them
Also, big difference if your hunting primary bedding or secondary...
And... If I hunt and don't see him, generally, hes not bedding there, so why hunt there again the next day if he is not there? If I see the buck but don't get a shot, I do keep hunting till I either kill the buck, or he moves. However, on the public they often dissapear the next day after sensing me... I have noticed when hunting low pressure managed property that you get more chances, and mistakes are sometimes tolerated... There are some smart deer on cushy land though, just as sometimes a stupid one survives on public. My take is to treat them all as if they are super intelligent so that your in the game no matter what.
Another might be age class... Seems to me younger bucks abandon a bedding area easier than older bucks.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 am

Have you ever noticed that as you hunt a spot it gets progressively worse every time you hunt it that season? Ive seen it happen enough times and now have enough spots picked out that I would rather have 15 best shots then 5 awesome and 10 progressively worse.

Its not that you give up on THAT deer, its that you dont keep hunting the same tree.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 am

Pressured spots go south so I hunt north :think: As it gets cooler I tend to think that you can hunt spots more than once. I sat on stand 8 times until I killed my big 8 point last year(NOV 3rd). Saw bucks every sit (non pressured area), I put my buddy on the same set and he shot a P&Y also(NOV 10). Dec 11th put a guy that works for me and he almost shot a mid 150 10point. I'm after him this year. It's hard not to hunt certain spots (because all you want to do is get out there) but if you listen to what Andrea says BE PATIENT and go in when the time is right. That tactic applies all over not just Midwest, East, West etc. Everyone is getting real excited to get out but I wonder what Andrea is doing opening weekend???? His answer is dead on IMO!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:27 pm

but if you listen to what Andrea says BE PATIENT and go in when the time is right. That tactic applies all over not just Midwest, East, West etc. Everyone is getting real excited to get out but I wonder what Andrea is doing opening weekend???? His answer is dead on IMO!!!

Very true... Timing is everything. I have a pretty good idea where Andrae will be opening day, and I would would trade my whole season for that sit. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”