Going back after the first sit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Going back after the first sit

Unread postby Ack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:53 am

So say you've done your scouting, found the bed, picked your tree and are now hunting it. Problem is the buck does not come out where you figured. How long will you wait to hunt the area again? Do you set up where he came out the next day if conditions are similar? Thoughts? I'm trying to figure this out because one bed I have scouted could have multiple exit routes, and if I'm off by 50 yards or more I'm just wondering how to handle it.

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Going back after the first sit

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 am

My thoughts are, hunt it the next day where you saw him come out. Didn't PredatorTC do that last year with success? If he didn't show the next day, I would consider that bridge burned and move on to the next buck on the list.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:37 am

If I don't see anything I move on, if I do see him and don't get a shot and do not spook him I think it's worth it to give it one more try the next night.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:41 am

Seems to me it would totally depend on how well you were able to enter and exit the stand location.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:29 am

if a deer is using a certain area and i feel i got a good entry/exit, im going after him. if i know my entrance will only allow one good sit than i dont. every situation is different. if its rut im not too worried about burning an area out at all cause bucks are cruising. any other time its a concern
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 am

headgear wrote:If I don't see anything I move on, if I do see him and don't get a shot and do not spook him I think it's worth it to give it one more try the next night.

X2
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:44 am

If I'm hunting a bedding area, and I don't see a buck come out on "my" side, I'd go back in there the next good wind I got.

I entered on a good wind. I haven't (obviously) over-hutned the spot. I didn't see him, so there's a fair chance he didn't see me.

Let's say he went out the "other" side. How in the world would he know you were there?

When the timing is right, hang to kill. There's a time to be passive and a time to be aggressive. The times to be aggressive are so few and far between that I'm not going to squander them. I'd be back in the same spot the very first chance I got (good wind - right time).
Lateral Bowhunter
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 am

JV NC wrote:I haven't (obviously) over-hutned the spot

i disagree with this statement ...... i believe if you hunt a bed once its over hunted, maybe one more sit the next day with the right circumstances, but thats rare....

I didn't see him, so there's a fair chance he didn't see me. Let's say he went out the "other" side. How in the world would he know you were there?
hes going to smell you were there. when he comes back and scent checks his bed room for any predators that were there when he was up and feeding.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:35 am

i disagree with this statement ......

Why would you disagree with this statement? The entire premise of the thread was that it was your first sit. How could you have over-hunted a spot that you haven't hunted, yet?

hes going to smell you were there. when he comes back and scent checks his bed room for any predators that were there when he was up and feeding.....

If you enter from downwind and the buck leaves his bed and travels into the wind, how is he going to smell you? You'd have to assume that the buck returned from his night out and circled downwind of your set. Correct? Why would you assume this? Just curious.

Could one also assume that the buck used a different bedding location that day and hence never was within 200yds of you? Sounds as plausible (keeping that positive attitude) to me as anything else.
Lateral Bowhunter
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:39 am

Depending on wind direction/thermal/scent precautions as well as exit/entrance strategy.......distance of set up from bed area.

It is very possible that you could be busted after one sit as well as not busted.

Plus that buck may not have been there.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Zap wrote:Depending on wind direction/thermal/scent precautions as well as exit/entrance strategy.......distance of set up from bed area.

It is very possible that you could be busted after one sit as well as not busted.

Plus that buck may not have been there.

I'll second that.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Most of the time, I have a good idea which way the buck will go... Sometimes, every now and then they go the other way. When they do this, they are generally doing this for a reason. That reason will likely not change over night.
Bucks spen a lot of time within there safe area, both at night, and during the day, its pretty likely, unless you have a great stand set up with a blockade, that he will smell you have been there within a day or two. But then again, probably not, cause he did not come thru in the 1st place so he is likely not there....

In a lot of my set ups, I am close enough to see a buck if he back doors me, most of the time I don't get another chance, at least not for a month, but I do occasionally, so if I see one I would like to kill, I will try the next day. mOVING TO WHERE i SAW HIM. I don't see nothing? If he was not bedding there after no pressure, why would he bed there the next day? If he did not feed out in that direction the day before, why would he do it the next day?
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:16 am

This buck is bedding in a thicket surrounded by open woods. On the side I THINK I need to hunt him, I cannot set up close enough to his bed to see if he is in it, or if he goes the other way. Thing is, he can get up out of his bed and go ANY direction. I think I have his preferred exit nailed down, but it's possible for him to walk through the thicket a ways and then enter the woods. It's a tricky setup, but I really want to get on this dude.

How about hunting before a rain to wash down residual scent? That way if I am off and he comes through later, it could give me another shot at him another day.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:09 am

How about hunting before a rain to wash down residual scent? That way if I am off and he comes through later, it could give me another shot at him another day.

It would certainly help...
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:36 am

Dan, thats crazy that you can hunt beds that close consistanly. I have a long ways to go till I can start pulling that off. Maybee I need to push the enevlope a little more. With the NC woods being so thick I probaly can get away with pushing a few yards more closer in his safe zone.

Ack I hunted a bed once and had no such luck on that sit. So I hunted the same property the very next day but DIFFERENT bed. However since I figured I had burnt the one bridge I would still use parts of the same entry route to the 2nd bed. When doing this I discovered a fresh new scrape that wasnt there the night before when leaving. So I hunted the same bed from the previous night but slid down wind of the scrape hoping i would catch the buck scent checking the scrape from his sanctuary. I came close to killing my target buck as things panned out exactly how I thought except for two things. Two shooters came in instead of one and I ran out of light. I could see the bucks and even drew but couldnt see my pin clear enuff to take the shot. Had I been ten yards closer to his bed I would have a had shot. Sometimes its a game of inches and seconds and he lived because of it. That was just a matter of hunting the fresh sign but it was hunting the same bed two nights in a row. I tried hunting it a 3rd time and it was NOT a charm. Didnt see a deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”