So your hunting beds...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schubox1265

Re: So your hunting beds...

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Great thread Dan. Somehow I missed this one.

^^ What he said

bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue May 14, 2013 7:42 am

This has been one of the most informative threads I have read on any hunting forum but one thing I did not see was the times that you expect these bucks to get up and move. Here is my hypothetical scenerio.

I find a mature buck bed. I map it out and see the topo, and decide on the wind condition I will need to be able to hunt him. OK i check the forcast and everthing is right to hunt this buck. The valleys will warm and give me the right thermal tunnel. I now no its game time and check out my planned rout to get to this bed.

I am assuming i will have to go in 2 hours before it gets light to get to the tree as quite as I can. I use a climber so all summer I practice climbing to be a quiet as possible. I get up there, get settled, and everything is ready to go.

How long do you guys sit on stand then? Do you sit all day in this spot? Do you just hunt for the first few hours of morning, then leave? Are you going to hunt until this buck gets up from his bed within your sight?

This style of hunting reminds me of roosting turkeys, you have to do you homework to find where they are bedded. With deer you can at least anticipate where they will go off of the "roost" by knowing the wind and how the buck "should" travle once he leaves his bed.

When you find his bed in the early season/winter are you also looking for his trails to his bed. Is this how you determine what tree you will set up in giving what wind direction. od you find multiple trees for different wind instances? Basically you are waiting for "all the planets to allign" to set up on this tree. if one of the factors is not right, you do not hunt this stand.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 am

bowmike wrote:This has been one of the most informative threads I have read on any hunting forum but one thing I did not see was the times that you expect these bucks to get up and move. Here is my hypothetical scenerio.

I find a mature buck bed. I map it out and see the topo, and decide on the wind condition I will need to be able to hunt him. OK i check the forcast and everthing is right to hunt this buck. The valleys will warm and give me the right thermal tunnel. I now no its game time and check out my planned rout to get to this bed.

I am assuming i will have to go in 2 hours before it gets light to get to the tree as quite as I can. I use a climber so all summer I practice climbing to be a quiet as possible. I get up there, get settled, and everything is ready to go.

How long do you guys sit on stand then? Do you sit all day in this spot? Do you just hunt for the first few hours of morning, then leave? Are you going to hunt until this buck gets up from his bed within your sight?

This style of hunting reminds me of roosting turkeys, you have to do you homework to find where they are bedded. With deer you can at least anticipate where they will go off of the "roost" by knowing the wind and how the buck "should" travle once he leaves his bed.

When you find his bed in the early season/winter are you also looking for his trails to his bed. Is this how you determine what tree you will set up in giving what wind direction. od you find multiple trees for different wind instances? Basically you are waiting for "all the planets to allign" to set up on this tree. if one of the factors is not right, you do not hunt this stand.

Depends on early season or rut. WHich one? If he comes back before sunrise you will have no shot. Moon mornings are good for bed hunting. I would hunt him in the evening. If its rut ill sit there a bit after daylight then move to more rut locations. Like in between doe beds or on the downwind side. Or parallel trails. I know what trail they take out of there bed based on rubs. I try to get as close to that trail.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue May 14, 2013 4:41 pm

dan wrote:
I am not hunting deer... I am hunting big bucks

I am pretty sure this is my favorite dan quote now of all time and it is the whole mindset I want to get into. Easier said than done but at least theres people willing to help!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 am

hunter_mike wrote:
dan wrote:
I am not hunting deer... I am hunting big bucks

I am pretty sure this is my favorite dan quote now of all time and it is the whole mindset I want to get into. Easier said than done but at least theres people willing to help!
x2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu May 16, 2013 5:21 am

bowmike wrote:T

Most bed hunts are afternoon sits.

Thermal tunnels rarely come into play on morning bed hunts, or bed hunts at all, imo. Big bucks generally operate outside of thermal tunnel hours. Thermal tunnel more helps to locate bedding areas and travel corridors.

At least that is what I think...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:14 pm

bump
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Fascinating thread and alot of great info here.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Great thread, lotsa good stuff. I sometimes get a lil disappointed when I read all the post and there isn't another page.. if there is one thing ive learned over the years it is to stick to the plan. Come on October.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Awesome thread! Thanx for brining it to the top!

Hunting BIG bucks and not DEER hunting is going to be a hurdle for ME...I spent the last years learning to hunt deer...I'm finally confident in going out knowing I will see deer and see bucks...I will feel like a failure not seeing much again....

But....I've been hunting and scouting for buck beds...I've confirmed the tactics work and hold true...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:28 pm

dan wrote:Mature bucks or not, there still just an animal, and they can't read signs.

Boy sometimes it sure looks like it!!!
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:13 pm

Great thread, thanks to whoever brought it to the top.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Great thread..I've often wondered the same same thing..this coming season being my first beast season

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:30 pm

Great thread had not seen this one before thanks.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:15 pm

So much info. I love it!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”