So your hunting beds...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: So your hunting beds...

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:10 pm

GRFox wrote:Dan, do you go completelt based off of memory which beds you will hunt? Or do you have a journal or marked up maps with bedding areas that you choose where to hunt from?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I have not used a journal for a few years and have gone off of memory, but my memory is starting to slip, and I know I would of sat a few spots differently had I used a journal... So, I would recomend one, especially if your scouting new beds that you have not memorized over the years...

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Dan. When you go twenty sits without seeing a deer do you sometimes feel the deer have completely left the public ground? Many of the public areas near my home are small. 1200 acres is a big one. But that twelve hundred acres sees 20 to 60 bowhunters per day. When I go more than five sits without seeing any deer at all and seeing people everywhere I generally assume the deer have vacated the public and are on the neighbors private ground. Is this incorrect?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:30 pm

jonsimoneau wrote:Dan. When you go twenty sits without seeing a deer do you sometimes feel the deer have completely left the public ground? Many of the public areas near my home are small. 1200 acres is a big one. But that twelve hundred acres sees 20 to 60 bowhunters per day. When I go more than five sits without seeing any deer at all and seeing people everywhere I generally assume the deer have vacated the public and are on the neighbors private ground. Is this incorrect?

I can't speak for Dan but I would say the deer are either in the thickest nastiest places, or they are not moving until right at dark or both. Some deer may leave for the private but the mature bucks are probably just as confident in their beds as ever, most of the bucks are probably smelling or seeing those hunters wherever they go. I have found that the amount of other hunters does not mean as much as what most people think, most are not hunting the right spots. You may do well just by going where ever the other hunters are never going, the bucks know where they are safe and where they should avoid.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Great info Brad and that actually gives me more confidence if that is true. Thank you.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:50 pm

jonsimoneau wrote:Great info Brad and that actually gives me more confidence if that is true. Thank you.

I agree with Brad. The big bucks dont leave. They stau tight to theyre bedding because they know it works.

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Great thread guys! :clap:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Mature bucks or not, there still just an animal, and they can't read signs. They don't know public from private... If there bedroom is secure, they are happy. Some of the properties I hunt experience a ton of pressure, but if that pressure is isolated to certain areas, it does not effect the beds that are located in over looked or remote areas. In some cases, pressure could make those spots better.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Think Dan makes a good point here, if a buck feels secure in his core area without human intrusion, he will stay put.

When hunting heavy pressure areas, it is just as important to scout the hunter activity, as it is the deer. Knowing access points and how people use and hunt the area, can be used to your advantage. At times other hunters can stack deer for you, and make spots better. Just need to understand how the deer react to the pressure

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 am

dan wrote: ... But if you specifically hunt trying to see "deer" rather than being in the best spot for a mature buck.... Your most likely going get a small buck, and continue on the coarse of bad habits that will keep a safe distance between you and a wall full of big bucks...

Great statement. Someone needs to nail that to my forehead....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:55 am

The way I look at this is..........don't overlook the obvious. If you kill a good deer from a preferred bedding area, there's a darned good chance another good deer is going to think that area's good, too. I personally don't feel the need to (I actually don't want to know) confirm who is where.

I hunt the terrain features/known bedding areas at the right time and hope for the best. IMO, many a good spot has been ruined by hunting it at the wrong time.
Lateral Bowhunter
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:49 am

If you kill a good deer from a preferred bedding area, there's a darned good chance another good deer is going to think that area's good, too.
x2. Couldn't agree more.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:03 am

Ack wrote:Great thread guys! :clap:

I agree.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:21 pm

JV NC wrote: IMO, many a good spot has been ruined by hunting it at the wrong time.

I think guys do this to themselves more then they could imagine. Guys who hunt a lot of mornings and want to kill big bucks are doing they're spots a TON of harm, Just like you mentioned in another post, you have to have spots you are willing to hurt a little so you can save the good hunting in the better spots for the right timing.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:04 pm

GRFox wrote:
JV NC wrote: IMO, many a good spot has been ruined by hunting it at the wrong time.

I think guys do this to themselves more then they could imagine. Guys who hunt a lot of mornings and want to kill big bucks are doing they're spots a TON of harm, Just like you mentioned in another post, you have to have spots you are willing to hurt a little so you can save the good hunting in the better spots for the right timing.

X2!! Definitely see this with my uncles every bow season. Hunt every morning and NEVER see a mature buck. Me, I sleep in and then scout til midday. Then hunt the evening. I do not start hunting mornings until late Oct. This year I may earlier with the right moon phase and wind.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:07 am

So basically what im reading from you guys experience is use mornings to take a doe for the freezer and hunting the big boys in the eve.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”