Tell us what you have learned from the Elite HB members?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Tell us what you have learned from the Elite HB members?

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:06 am

This is going to sound dumb but what I have learned is that you shouldn't trust everything you here from the hunting industry. Most of what I was watch and reading is not what I was experiencing in the field and being new to deer hunting, I fell for most of it. There is still conflicting views even on this site but I feel like there are common denominators that are helping he to connect the dots. I am still a little surprised about Joe Elsinger saying that he doesn't consider the wind when hunting. But I have no reason not believe him with the kind of success he has had.

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 am

Stanley wrote:I'm telling you straight up I have a huge amount of respect for many members on the Beast (not just for their buck hunting skills). I don't have enough time to mention them all. On top of the list Is Dan. I believe associating with Dan will make just about anyone a better person. Plus you will learn a lot on hunting big bucks. Win win situation.

:lol: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:35 am

Confidence.

You have to have confidence that every time you enter the woods be it to scout or to hunt that your going to have positive results. A bad attitude will only result in a bad time.

Lear from your mistakes. Figure out to the best of your knowledge why the scenario played out the way it did.

Have fun.

Persistence.

There are going to be times when things just don't go your way. You can't let that discourage you. You have to keep at it.
Joe™
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:10 am

Beyond beast basics, I would say confidence. I will cite a specific example of locating other hunter's stands. In the past I would come across a stand and give that hunter way more credit than I should've. I would blindly assume they were there for a good reason, resulting in me psyching myself out about that location and just sending me looking for another area. Now, if I have good reason to hunt that area then I use that stand location to my advantage, realizing that deer will avoid that area, especially if used often. Also, the more educated I become on mature buck bedding I realize that 99% of the time those stands are either a.) setup in the laziest, easiest to reach location or b.) setup over good sign that is probably left at night.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:32 am

NorthStar wrote:This is going to sound dumb but what I have learned is that you shouldn't trust everything you here from the hunting industry. Most of what I was watch and reading is not what I was experiencing in the field and being new to deer hunting, I fell for most of it. There is still conflicting views even on this site but I feel like there are common denominators that are helping he to connect the dots. I am still a little surprised about Joe Elsinger saying that he doesn't consider the wind when hunting. But I have no reason not believe him with the kind of success he has had.

I think you have Joe confused with John Eberhart.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:19 am

DeerDylan wrote:
NorthStar wrote:This is going to sound dumb but what I have learned is that you shouldn't trust everything you here from the hunting industry. Most of what I was watch and reading is not what I was experiencing in the field and being new to deer hunting, I fell for most of it. There is still conflicting views even on this site but I feel like there are common denominators that are helping he to connect the dots. I am still a little surprised about Joe Elsinger saying that he doesn't consider the wind when hunting. But I have no reason not believe him with the kind of success he has had.

I think you have Joe confused with John Eberhart.

You are correct! I have been listening to way too many podcasts lately. I need to take it easy...

Thanks!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 am

Thank god, thought the scent lok fairy done reeled ya in Joe! :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 pm

To me the comradery of Dan and the elite beasts on this forum is unbelievable! I believe most guys on here are actually rooting for the success of other hunters they don't even know. Unheard of with today's hunters. Guys I don't even know are giving me great advice, techniques & tactics in my specific spots to make me a better hunter. Thanks to all the beast members for creating this awesome place to make us all better people and hunters!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:03 am

Great thread.
Hard work! Scouting, both cyber and real world.
Entry and exit. Thermals and leeward.
Just some of my observations that some of the more successful hunters all have in common that I have noticed since I started hanging around this place.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:09 am

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:17 pm
I learned more from the guys on here than any other forum site. Over the last decade or so, I always thought there has to be something more to hunting. A hidden knowledge only a few hunters know about. TV shows and magazine articles just were not answering my questions.

Exactly! You can only get so far on conventional hunting media or shows. This place is a Golden nugget.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 am

I have learned to keep an open mind. When I first joined I pretty much scoffed at Dan's aggressive tactics.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:42 am

In the short time I've been here I've learned several things.

I learned that there are a lot of experienced and successful hunters with all different backgrounds on the beast! I learned that there are other hunters out there with the same drive and obsession as me. I learned that it's possible to go on public land and be successful. I have learned that there are other ways to doing things. I learned hunting beds is very important and that everything deer do revolves around bedding. I've learned certain terminology for beast hunting which has helped a lot. I'm looking forward what I will learn in the future! :D
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 am

I've learned that you never will know everything, and you always have something to add. And that goes for everything outside of deer hunting as well
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:23 pm

This forum has revolutionized my whole hunting approach. I went from sitting in the same stand all season long wondering why I never see anything, simply waiting for deer to come to me, to actively seeking them out and setting up where I know they are. Scout multiple stands, don't overhunt a spot, bedding, bedding, bedding!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”