Ridgerunner7

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Ridgerunner7

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Ridgerunner is the man. He has recently been giving me advice on some farmland spots I've been hunting. He knows his stuff :D

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Love this thread.

This forum is such a goldmine, it never ceases to amaze me...

Thanks for taking the time Andy.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:41 am

Wow. I'll definitely be slowing down and rereading this one. This was really well written. What a wealth of information. Congratulations on all your success!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:52 am

Very impressive stuff! Congrats you have done great! Awesome read
Make It Happen
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:05 am

I amnam realizing constantly nothing replaces hard work. Impressive bucks an info...thanks ridge

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks RR7 for taking the time to share your story, pictures and set ups. They are very impressive, well done! Congratulations and good luck on your future hunts!

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:37 pm

I've read this thread over a dozen times since it was first posted. Top notch stuff. I love your attitude. You project greatness.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:53 am

I was wondering, how many of your mature bucks were harvested on state public land in Michigan?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:51 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I was wondering, how many of your mature bucks were harvested on state public land in Michigan?

Sorry, just saw this. True mature 4 or 5 year old buck?? Probably 1-2. I don't really consider 2 and 3 year old bucks mature..even though it might be the biggest buck in an area here in Michigan. I shot a 142" buck off the public near my home in 2010 that I glassed all summer that was definitely mature and eventually killed Oct 6. Truth is I don't hunt the public around me a lot anymore. I scout it every year but won't hunt it until I find a buck I want to hunt. It's extremely low quality in my opinion compared to public in any other surrounding state. I scout out and locate nice bucks but really have no interest in taking them. I find the public around me to be extremely lacking in truly mature animals...and trust me I've spent a lot of time looking, shinning, glassing, etc. There is no walking in a mile to get away from people because you end up at the next road..far to easy to access. If you want to shoot a 100-125" buck it can be done.

Most of my Michigan hunting is on small parcels ranging from 5 - 80 acres and aren't managed at all. All are shared properties with other hunters. My properties are changing all the time with ground being sold, leased, over crowded so I'm on constant watch for new ground permission, new public opportunities, etc.

All of my mature bucks have come from various spots...not one real good spot that always produces because the pressure is so high and ever changing. By the grace of god, one survives or pops up..and I go after him. That's basically how it goes.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:40 am

Michigan doesn't allow for too many deer to truly become mature that's for sure. I've only ever hunted state michigan public my whole life, this year I'm headed to Ohio been scouting and heard enough now I'm trying it. I have found through sending the jaw in, that deer here can be 100" and be 4.5+. It's not promising, antler size in some areas isn't a precursor for age in Michigan. I've been putting in points for Iowa, and also headed to Kentucky. Tired of no protected deer in this state. Loved reading your story and outlook. Happy hunting sir.

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:12 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Michigan doesn't allow for too many deer to truly become mature that's for sure. I've only ever hunted state michigan public my whole life, this year I'm headed to Ohio been scouting and heard enough now I'm trying it. I have found through sending the jaw in, that deer here can be 100" and be 4.5+. It's not promising, antler size in some areas isn't a precursor for age in Michigan. I've been putting in points for Iowa, and also headed to Kentucky. Tired of no protected deer in this state. Loved reading your story and outlook. Happy hunting sir.

I agree. I have seen dozens of examples of deer that ended up around 100-115" at 4 years old through trail cam history and centium aging. Pretty frustrating. I think you'll find the public in other states will have much much more opportunity. I've hunted all those states you mentioned and would be happy to share info.
CMRuikka
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cmr.ruikka

Unread postby CMRuikka » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:58 am

Amazing profile. I took a ton away from it. Most notably the amount of scouting and the number of spots that you work through to consistently have success.

Chasing mature whitetails is challenging period. The aren't shortcuts to success. It's hard work. Finding that balance between putting the time in and your family life is something that I see you are passionate about. I'm glad you work hard to keep that balance. If we want to find ways to shortcut this process it's unlikely that we're going to be able to find the success we're looking for.
Whitetail Battle

The journey to the next buck is what always keeps us coming back for more.
QDMAMAN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1413515247

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:29 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:Michigan doesn't allow for too many deer to truly become mature that's for sure. I've only ever hunted state michigan public my whole life, this year I'm headed to Ohio been scouting and heard enough now I'm trying it. I have found through sending the jaw in, that deer here can be 100" and be 4.5+. It's not promising, antler size in some areas isn't a precursor for age in Michigan. I've been putting in points for Iowa, and also headed to Kentucky. Tired of no protected deer in this state. Loved reading your story and outlook. Happy hunting sir.

I agree. I have seen dozens of examples of deer that ended up around 100-115" at 4 years old through trail cam history and centium aging. Pretty frustrating. I think you'll find the public in other states will have much much more opportunity. I've hunted all those states you mentioned and would be happy to share info.

Great read Andy, I've been a fan for a number of years.
Did you ever end up hunting the Ohio public we shed hunt several years ago?
"Education is important, but goin' huntin' is importanter." - Earl Dibble Jr.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”