Stanley

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Stanley

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:58 pm

NatureBoy wrote:So because you knew the beans where done, you assumed he would be using the watering hole to the West of the bean field instead of the one to the South of it? That is some hard core intel right there! How did you spot him early August? From your vehicle glassing?

Really have enjoyed reading this thread by the way!

I saw him in August glassing on foot. I was in an observation stand to the north of the pond glassing in October, there are no roads to glass from. I set up on him at that water hole because that is where I saw him. The other water hole is more out in the open. The watering hole where I killed him is very secluded and visited by deer during daylight hrs. Deer visit the other pond but not as much in the daylight hrs.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:07 pm

backstraps wrote:Thanks Stanley for all your replies!

I really enjoy reading post from experienced hunters.

Shooting a slob with an inside almost 27 inches... what were some
of there first thoughts going through you mind when you walked upon him
after the shot?

When I arrowed the buck he ran back the way he came from. I lost sight of him after about 75 yards. I was pretty sure I heard the death moan, but wasn't positive. I went and got a friend to help with recovery. We tracked the buck in the dark good blood trail, he went about 125 yards. My buddy saw him laying there and said you killed yourself a whopper. We drug him a little bit to get him headed up hill for dressing, we couldn't figure out why we were struggling to to just move him. Found out why the next day when I weighed him.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks for sharing Stanley. I enjoyed hearing about your evolution and also the evolution of modern day bowhunting. After reading your thread it makes me feel like we are hunting in the "Golden Years" of deer hunting with all the info on the web, QDM, high numbers, etc. Very impressive all the way around.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:46 pm

I saw him in August glassing on foot.

Very interesting! Is late summer glassing on foot part of your normal routine? What time of day do you typically glass on foot? I'm suspecting evening, since you're not looking for sign but rather for bucks. You're not too worried about spooking bucks in August?

I set up on him at that water hole because that is where I saw him. The other water hole is more out in the open. The watering hole where I killed him is very secluded and visited by deer during daylight hrs. Deer visit the other pond but not as much in the daylight hrs.

Gotcha! Makes perfect sense. Did you design those watering holes, or are they just a natural part of that landscape? Very cool stuff.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 am

NatureBoy wrote:
I saw him in August glassing on foot.

Very interesting! Is late summer glassing on foot part of your normal routine? What time of day do you typically glass on foot? I'm suspecting evening, since you're not looking for sign but rather for bucks. You're not too worried about spooking bucks in August?

I set up on him at that water hole because that is where I saw him. The other water hole is more out in the open. The watering hole where I killed him is very secluded and visited by deer during daylight hrs. Deer visit the other pond but not as much in the daylight hrs.

Gotcha! Makes perfect sense. Did you design those watering holes, or are they just a natural part of that landscape? Very cool stuff.

Those ponds were man made 40-50 years ago. The whole area was a cattle pasture years ago.
jlh42581
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jlh42581

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 am

Stanley wrote: Those ponds were man made 40-50 years ago. The whole area was a cattle pasture years ago.

Wow thats crazy because based on that topo its in a PERFECT area for the thermal tunnel. It reminds me of Lee's pond in Hill Country
MN Slick

Unread postby MN Slick » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:19 am

Stan, I have a question on what you see as far as bedding goes in that type of terrain. I hunt very similar terrain in Northern Missouri with ridges that top out at 1000' along with CRP fields and tillable which is located in the creek bottoms in my case. Do you find that bucks and does usually bed on the ridges according to the wind like Dan outlined in the Hill Country video or do you find them bedding in a more random fashion? Thanks.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:07 am

jlh42581 wrote:
Stanley wrote: Those ponds were man made 40-50 years ago. The whole area was a cattle pasture years ago.

Wow thats crazy because based on that topo its in a PERFECT area for the thermal tunnel. It reminds me of Lee's pond in Hill Country

The ditches in the topo look much more like valleys and ridges than they really are. I guess a lot depends on the definition of hills. This property I hunt is what I consider hill country.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 am

MN Slick wrote:Stan, I have a question on what you see as far as bedding goes in that type of terrain. I hunt very similar terrain in Northern Missouri with ridges that top out at 1000' along with CRP fields and tillable which is located in the creek bottoms in my case. Do you find that bucks and does usually bed on the ridges according to the wind like Dan outlined in the Hill Country video or do you find them bedding in a more random fashion? Thanks.

Like I stated in one of my other posts where I killed that buck isn't what I consider hill country. There aren't big elevation differentials like real hill country. Part of the reason bucks bed on the side of ridges in hill country(I believe) it is very tough to navigate by humans on foot and vehicles won't go in there even 4x4 wheelers. So human intrusion is way less in these areas and of course the wind tunnels like Dan has stated.
In more flat ground bucks use the subtle hills and ditches to remain secluded (out of sight). The first thing a buck does when bumped is get out of sight that is his main objective. The subtle hills and ditches are perfect for these escape artist bucks. Ditches, thick heavy brush is where I typically see the most daytime buck movement. So to answer your question I do find bucks bed more randomly in flatter ag country than hill country. Does bed more randomly than bucks in almost every terrain setting.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 am

I agree with stan on the farm country note. I have some farm areas, not many but some and I have caught bucks bedded in some of the most random places that to me have nothing to do with wind. I remember a tiny little patch of 4, 8 foot tall, pine trees where I used to bust bucks out of all the time. Next to the low cover, I busted them in there on many different winds and many different conditions from dry to rain.

Those trees have now grown and the deer dont bed at them anymore.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:37 am

jlh42581 wrote:I agree with stan on the farm country note. I have some farm areas, not many but some and I have caught bucks bedded in some of the most random places that to me have nothing to do with wind. I remember a tiny little patch of 4, 8 foot tall, pine trees where I used to bust bucks out of all the time. Next to the low cover, I busted them in there on many different winds and many different conditions from dry to rain.

Those trees have now grown and the deer dont bed at them anymore.

Yup, X2

In really open areas, I think smell is secondary to their vison in regards to bedding. Some of the biggest KS bucks I have ever seen were bedded on edge cover just as you described.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:09 am

These trees although in farm country were in the center of a 300 acre woodlot.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 am

jlh42581 wrote:These trees although in farm country were in the center of a 300 acre woodlot.

Gotcha. Edges where two cover types meet are awesome. I have a couple down here created by young growing cedars and hardwoods. The deer are always there.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:25 am

bump
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 am

Love me some Stanley! :D You're the man!
Montani Semper Liberi

Return to “Deer Hunting”