Stanley

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Stanley

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:48 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Wow cant believe I missed this one.

Stan, so you set up on that buck hoping he would approach the water hole with the wind to his back? Do you typically hunt with that mindset?

100 wins, wow. Was this with a recurve, or compound, or both? Do you still shoot a recurve, even if just for fun?

Your 1-5 property analogy is spot on. Id rather that was 1 property, but thats coming from a state where we get 5 guys bow hunting every 40 acre chunk.

I also agree with your comment on time spent viewing deer while on stand. Your right if you dont get to see mature deer and how they move/act and screw up a bunch, you cant learn much.

I have actually killed quite a few bucks traveling with the wind at their back. The books may say mature bucks travel into the wind but that has not been my experience. The biggest buck I ever saw on the hoof came at me with the wind at his back. I think the books sometimes forget a buck has 3 acute senses and uses them all. You must first and foremost elude his sense of smell, if you set up downwind of where you expect him to be then he can't smell you especially if you know where he is coming from.

I have won tournaments with a recurve, and a compound. I no longer shoot a recurve, it takes so much more shooting to stay in physical form. I no longer have the desire to shoot like I once did.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:10 pm

I have actually killed quite a few bucks traveling with the wind at their back. The books may say mature bucks travel into the wind but that has not been my experience. The biggest buck I ever saw on the hoof came at me with the wind at his back. I think the books sometimes forget a buck has 3 acute senses and uses them all. You must first and foremost elude his sense of smell, if you set up downwind of where you expect him to be then he can't smell you especially if you know where he is coming from.

I agree Stan... I read and hear so much of the quartering into the wind crap that it makes me wonder if the writers actually observe this stuff or make it up based on what they think a buck will do...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:45 pm

dan wrote:

I agree Stan... I read and hear so much of the quartering into the wind crap that it makes me wonder if the writers actually observe this stuff or make it up based on what they think a buck will do...

It's my belief that mature bucks go where they want to go regardless of wind direction. I also believe they do swing around an area based on wind direction to scent check areas out once they get there. An example would be a buck is bedded west of a doe bedding area. The wind is from the north. He will travel east to get near the doe bedding area. He would then swing south of the bedding area to scent check.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:01 pm

dan wrote:

In this case Dan, this buck is going against what you typically set up for, if Im understanding your tactics. I would think you would have waited for a NE wind so this buck would feel safe coming to that water hole? Then he would have the wind in his favor as he made his way to that field. I know there arent any rules, but it appears this buck went against the norm. Before coming to THE BEAST SITE, I would have set up just like Stan did, cause the wind was ideal for him, not the buck.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Your misunderstanding my tactics Ken... Deer travel from bedding to food without regard to wind direction. However, when you need to hunt much farther back, than you would like, or when your dealing with a certain buck that moves very little in daylight, sometimes waiting for the day he can smell whats ahead of him will get him moving a little earlier, a little farther from his bed.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Stanley wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:What a SLOB!

Would you be willing to post a Topo map of the area? Any interesting topography to indicate bedding and/or travel route?

Thanks Stan.

It is pretty much what I consider flat land with a few ditches and slight hills. It is far from being considered hill country with steep gulleys, many elevation levels, and rough/tough walking.

Thanks Stan!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 pm

dan wrote:Your misunderstanding my tactics Ken... Deer travel from bedding to food without regard to wind direction. However, when you need to hunt much farther back, than you would like, or when your dealing with a certain buck that moves very little in daylight, sometimes waiting for the day he can smell whats ahead of him will get him moving a little earlier, a little farther from his bed.

Yeah guess I am confused, cause I thought they bedded in a certain bed based on the wind that day, and knowing where they were going to feed that evening. This buck Stan shot seemed to bed there all the time, regardless of wind. Well guess thats an assumption, he was bedded there the day Stan killed him, we know that. The water hole portions of Hill country dvd specifically say you guys dont hunt the water hole till you have a just off wind.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

kenn1320 wrote:
dan wrote:Your misunderstanding my tactics Ken... Deer travel from bedding to food without regard to wind direction. However, when you need to hunt much farther back, than you would like, or when your dealing with a certain buck that moves very little in daylight, sometimes waiting for the day he can smell whats ahead of him will get him moving a little earlier, a little farther from his bed.

Yeah guess I am confused, cause I thought they bedded in a certain bed based on the wind that day, and knowing where they were going to feed that evening. This buck Stan shot seemed to bed there all the time, regardless of wind. Well guess thats an assumption, he was bedded there the day Stan killed him, we know that. The water hole portions of Hill country dvd specifically say you guys dont hunt the water hole till you have a just off wind.

I think bucks in general have certain tendencies to bed and travel using the wind and terrain to there advantage, but there are no absolutes..........if he feels safe bedding there, he might bed there with any wind, regardless of what we hunters "think" he should do. That's what makes bow hunting fun for me.......trying to figure out the puzzle based on what the deer do........not what I think they should do.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:19 pm

kenn1320 wrote:
dan wrote:

In this case Dan, this buck is going against what you typically set up for, if Im understanding your tactics. I would think you would have waited for a NE wind so this buck would feel safe coming to that water hole? Then he would have the wind in his favor as he made his way to that field. I know there arent any rules, but it appears this buck went against the norm. Before coming to THE BEAST SITE, I would have set up just like Stan did, cause the wind was ideal for him, not the buck.

I think some may not understand there are more elements in killing a buck than wind alone. The set up was next to perfect for killing that buck. I didn't have to expose myself where the buck was bedding at all (great approach). So I eliminated his sense of sight. I had a good amount of wind (15 MPH estimated) so I eliminated his sense of hearing. And of course I had the wind in my favor and my ground scent was also down wind of the buck and in back of me, thus eliminating his sense of smell. The weather was unseasonably warm for November 3d which didn't hurt. I was also thinking he wasn't going to the beans as I stated earlier after the beans turn brown deer kind of quit feeding in them until they are combined and then the deer tend to go back and hit the dropped beans.
I set up on a dandy buck this year and didn't kill him. I thought my set up was real good. More hunts turn into nothing than are successful, lets not forget that either. Both of the bucks I killed this year came my way with the wind at their back.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Incredible information and story. Thank you for sharing. Hope to her more stories from you. I love seeing the aerial and topo views and the story that goes with it. Seeing those things will help everyone here learn better what to look for. I would truly love to see more of those. Maybe we can start a thread for people to show the views and story behind them.

Thanks again for sharing.

Matt

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:16 pm

kenn1320 wrote:

Ken,
I really don't want to take Stan's post off on a tangent about wind, so if we could start a new topic on wind / bedding / travel it would be better... There are some instances when bucks bed based on wind direction, and there are some beds that are used on any wind. In hill country "most" beds are based on wind, and setting up above the beds ( up wind ) is the norm if you want to be successful. I can't speak for Stan, but I believe this was the type of bed where the buck bedded on any wind, or at least on the wind he was killed on... If you read back posts on my discussions about wind based beds, and "off winds" you will see what I am saying has not changed... We probably should stat a "wind" thread though, cause I have seen a lot of confusion on this topic...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:18 am

So because you knew the beans where done, you assumed he would be using the watering hole to the West of the bean field instead of the one to the South of it? That is some hard core intel right there! How did you spot him early August? From your vehicle glassing?

Really have enjoyed reading this thread by the way!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Mule Feathers

Unread postby Mule Feathers » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:55 am

Awesome. Just awesome. I really love the maps that you posted about the big wide deer you killed by the pond. I don't personally know any bow hunters with any more experience than I have and it's incredible the wealth of information some of guys put forth. Awesome thread, Stanley.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks Stanley for all your replies!

I really enjoy reading post from experienced hunters.

Shooting a slob with an inside almost 27 inches... what were some
of there first thoughts going through you mind when you walked upon him
after the shot?
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 pm

That was a great reas Stan, thank you for sharing that with us :clap:

Return to “Deer Hunting”