Are small bucks stringing you along?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Are small bucks stringing you along?

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:28 am

A lot of guys really get hung up on needing to see deer to feel successful. However, in my opinion, when you take the jump from deer hunter to mature buck hunter you need to be able to go a few days without seeing deer. Heck, I have gone weeks already... Setting up on the super highway trails will put deer in front of you, but usually not mature bucks. It almost seems like young bucks and old bucks are two different animals... Setting up beast style near a bedding area is likely not going to increase your deer sightings, probably exactly the opposite.
This is where a lot of guys loose confidence and fall back into the stands where they see lots of deer, but not many shooters...

Comments? Observations?

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Are small bucks stringing you along?

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:43 am

That exact observation hit me a few years ago when I started really paying attention to the guys that were getting the job done. If what they were doing wasn't working, they changed and found something that did work.

Some of the guys that I pal around with during archery season just don't seem to get the idea that the stands they are hunting haven't produced a mature buck the last 5 seasons, so what makes them think that this season will be any different?? Sure, they see deer and the occasional 2.5 year old, but they've never drawn their string on a mature buck.

I made it a point to really shake up my hunting philosophy about 4 years ago and it has paid off big time. Keeping a hunting journal allows me to look back and if a stand has at least produced a mature buck sighting, then it may get hunted this season. If not, I am bouncing around in new areas looking for stands that will produce.

After 4 years, I have around 10-12 stand sites that have produced a mature buck sighting. I will hit these spots when the conditions are right and when they aren't right, I am out hunting new areas. I refuse to go to one of my "old standby's" when I have NEVER seen a mature buck out of that stand. Could it happen? Sure, anything is possible, but the odds are against it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:57 am

I feel that was a huge turning point for me when it came to hunting older bucks. I learned to accept the fact that while hunting areas where mature bucks bed even though I will see less deer the trade off is that the bucks I do see are generally very nice. The last few years my sightings of younger bucks has gone way down while the nicer ones have increased.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 am

I know I use to see a ton of deer before I went beast style, it was fun and all but I sure prefer to see low deer numbers and a few big guys! Lucky for me my bigwoods hunting has trained me not to worry about the number of deer you see. Heck when I was growing up it was a pretty big deal just to see a deer, and most of the time you couldn't shoot anyway because they were does. It sure teaches you ultimate patience and also not to get flustered when the first 10 or 20 sits don't turn up any buck sightings.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:38 am

This is the the 1st year I'm solely gonna be doing it beast style. I'm gonna do it to the last freakin day less deer numbers or not. I just hope half way through the season I don't start doubting myself. I know I have some good spots and there are big bucks around, I just hope I see some target bucks, or something to increase my confidence level.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 am

It definitely is a different game. I use to see more deer but aside from gun hunting NO big bucks. But now i am seeing more big bucks than ever. Hardly see any does at all, mainly good bucks. I might go many hunts without a single deer. But its well worth the wait.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:03 am

Im used to many deerless sits in a row in bigwoods country, so beast style was just a natural progression for me. I am always focused and patient. I just enjoy the thrill of the chase more than anything :D It is a mindset change no doubt. You have to get away from all the sign and heavy trails made by young deer. It aint easy to do that's for sure! In my experience where I hunt, young deer are definately more visible. That's where the hunter sign will be too. Hardwood ridges and easy to reach spots. Avoid these!! Big deer are in the thick, nasty stuff that nobody messes with. It's easy to fall into the trap of seeing a pile of immature deer each sit and thinking well heck eventually a big one will show up. It rarely works that way. Big deer make you work for them!! It is not easy but that's why I'm here and that is what drives me!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:09 am

I have gone a couple weeks without seeing deer, I am usually not deterred by the lack of deer. If I feel like I am in the right spot...minimal deer means nothing to me. If I am after seeing lots of deer I will go for a drive and look in the fields. When I am hunting a specific buck...he is the only animal I need to see
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:00 am

Interesting topic Dan. I think it's how each individual defines successful and why we are hunters. To some, having venison in the freezer it what it's about, some spending time with friends/family no matter about the deer. Some it's a land management issue and bringing out the potential of their land, some it's about "getting their buck", some it's about the trophy or the size of the antlers, some have to see deer to feel successful, no right or wrong answer. It's all in what you determine is right for you.

As you mature as a hunter you are continually try to challenge yourself and your skills as a predator, wheter thats the methods or weapons you choose, or the locations you hunt, and at times putting the odds in the animals favor, you start rooting for the animal. It becomes a issue of your ability to think/reason vs the animals instinct of survival, the preadtor/prey relationship that is part of our nature.

Part of the maturation process is understanding the difference between, deer hunting, buck hunting, mature buck hunting, and hunting a specific deer. Each has it's own approach, but without success it's normal to question your tactics. It isn't until you prove to yourself that what you are doing is the right thing for you, but when the day comes when you have outwitted a buck that you were after, and been humbled by the experience and appreciate the gift that you were given, then it no longer matters if you see a deer or eat a tag, you have nothing more to prove. We call it "joining the big boys club".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 am

No, but there are a few doe with big racks that may be......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 am

"Part of the maturation process is understanding the difference between, deer hunting, buck hunting, mature buck hunting, and hunting a specific deer. Each has it's own approach, but without success it's normal to question your tactics. It isn't until you prove to yourself that what you are doing is the right thing for you, but when the day comes when you have outwitted a buck that you were after, and been humbled by the experience and appreciate the gift that you were given, then it no longer matters if you see a deer or eat a tag, you have nothing more to prove. We call it "joining the big boys club".

I agree 110%
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 am

Great topic that has verified some of my earlier concerns. One piece of public land I hunt I set-up just outside of known (to me) buck bedding areas. During my hunting partner and my week-long hunt every year he sees a ton of deer, which are mostly does except a few chasers. Myself, I see only a buck or two a day (if I am lucky), but they are always older bucks. For two years I have successfully tagged a P&Y buck during this early Nov hunt, but I was still doubting myself with the following questions going thru my mind: Why am I not seeing more deer like Roger? Should I hunt over larger trails like he does?

I am feeling more confident that I have found a nice little area that can and will continue to produce for me as long as all of the other hunters don't find it first! It is funny that I watch many others walk right on past me from across the next ridge. I have literally watched a buck stand in his staging area (at least what I beleive to be his staging area) watching other hunters walk past as they head into camp for the mid-day.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Im used to many deerless sits in a row in bigwoods country, so beast style was just a natural progression for me. I am always focused and patient. I just enjoy the thrill of the chase more than anything :D It is a mindset change no doubt. You have to get away from all the sign and heavy trails made by young deer. It aint easy to do that's for sure! In my experience where I hunt, young deer are definately more visible. That's where the hunter sign will be too. Hardwood ridges and easy to reach spots. Avoid these!! Big deer are in the thick, nasty stuff that nobody messes with. It's easy to fall into the trap of seeing a pile of immature deer each sit and thinking well heck eventually a big one will show up. It rarely works that way. Big deer make you work for them!! It is not easy but that's why I'm here and that is what drives me!!

Wow do I feel stupid. While I dont hunt the same tree's(I use a LW) I do hunt the same general area's on the private land I hunt year after year. I scout the entire property and never find any big buck rubs. I set up where I find the most deer sign, then transition towards scrapes in the woods that show up in the brushy areas as they appear. I can get on 1.5yr old bucks and does anytime I want, and keep thinking why arent I at least seeing a mature buck, even if out of range? Im never on the field edge, and if I can see the field edge, its rare. I know there are plenty of guys that dont sit the beds(beast style) on this site that are successful regularly. What the heck am I doing wrong?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:36 am

kenn1320 wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:Im used to many deerless sits in a row in bigwoods country, so beast style was just a natural progression for me. I am always focused and patient. I just enjoy the thrill of the chase more than anything :D It is a mindset change no doubt. You have to get away from all the sign and heavy trails made by young deer. It aint easy to do that's for sure! In my experience where I hunt, young deer are definately more visible. That's where the hunter sign will be too. Hardwood ridges and easy to reach spots. Avoid these!! Big deer are in the thick, nasty stuff that nobody messes with. It's easy to fall into the trap of seeing a pile of immature deer each sit and thinking well heck eventually a big one will show up. It rarely works that way. Big deer make you work for them!! It is not easy but that's why I'm here and that is what drives me!!

Wow do I feel stupid. While I dont hunt the same tree's(I use a LW) I do hunt the same general area's on the private land I hunt year after year. I scout the entire property and never find any big buck rubs. I set up where I find the most deer sign, then transition towards scrapes in the woods that show up in the brushy areas as they appear. I can get on 1.5yr old bucks and does anytime I want, and keep thinking why arent I at least seeing a mature buck, even if out of range? Im never on the field edge, and if I can see the field edge, its rare. I know there are plenty of guys that dont sit the beds(beast style) on this site that are successful regularly. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Don't take this the wrong way...I've personally had to choke down this issue myself.

You can't shoot a mature buck where he doesn't exist. Like you, I see 1.5 yo bucks like clockwork and the occasional 2.5. 3.5 and up is a different beast here in NY. I may see one in this same area but its usually doing mach 5 after a doe. For me to be successful, I really needed to start paying attention to the mature buck potential and focusing my efforts on ground that has it. My note have shown me that of the places I had to hunt in the past five years, only one of them exhibited the ability to produce mature buck encounters with any regularity. I placed my focus on that parcel...now that's not to say I overhunted it...I just placed the most amount of attention to detail, scouting, etc. on that ground. I chose my days carefully.

For me, it also opened the door as to why I only have access to one spot that can produce (now zero as I lost it).
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:31 am

I find satisfaction in a well done hunt whether I see something or not. Also, I find myself not hunting a lot of days because I know I can only hunt a certain area with a certain wind. I would rather not hunt than hunt wrong. To kill the mature bucks you have to learn discipline to know when to stay out. I don't even use trail cams.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”