Bumping other deer while getting to your buck bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Bumping other deer while getting to your buck bed?

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:01 pm

This is a big problem in some areas I hunt and other well populated areas. You have your buck beds scouted properly. You go try to sneak in to your spot and there are many many deer bedded between here and there, spooking, running, snorting and ultimately alerting the buck your after far before you're close enough for an encounter in daylight. I tend to avoid hunting these types of spots to reduce the risk of damaging future hunting in the area and wait till the bucks are on their feet more during shooting hours and traveling further from their bed. What do you guys do to avoid this problem?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Bumping other deer while getting to your buck bed?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Great question.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:56 pm

I run into this all the time being in ag land with tiny woodlots. Looking forward to responses.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:13 am

I used to experience that, not so much at home any more, too low of a density.

What I often did, when they would snort, I would snort. They dont quite get that, especially going in during the pre dawn.

Thats one thing I often think about when planning my hunt. Sometimes theres no other choice but to get past those areas and wait it out. I dont like sitting in a stand all day, I simply dont like it. I would have to have action all day long and that rarely happens so its painful to plan on it. Sometimes you have no choice
jon

Unread postby jon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:56 am

I usually go ahead and hunt my intended stand. If there's enough time deer seem to forgive sound. You should be coming in from a down wind so hunt it. It happens!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:50 am

I have this problem with most of the areas I hunt, the swamps seem to be one giant bedding area for all the deer. I bump deer almost every hunt but you can really limit the impact by going super slow, keeping the wind in your favor and when you bump a deer just stop and freeze for 5-10 minutes. Surprisingly a lot of the time they don't really know what you are and just slip away without blowing or causing much of a ruckus. They probably run a short distance and make sure nothing is following them, once they feel somewhat safe they might rebed or just slowly move off. I remember one trip into a swamp I bumped 4 deer on the way in and still saw 4 bucks that night, one being a shooter.

I probably bump some deer I never know about it and I am sure at times I alert a buck to my presence but it sure beats sitting back in a location I know I can't shoot him. It certainly does backfire and I get busting and a deer will go blow crazy on me but it's a chance I am willing to take.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:49 am

Your right for sure on the swamp bedding. It seems to be a neverending bedding area. I will go home and up-load my beds on google and its amazing how many beds will be there.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:28 am

In some of the areas I hunt you will not penetrate the woods and not bump does. This is a huge advantage for the bucks bedding in the area. I think you would be kidding yourself trying to sneak in and get close to a bedded buck in these circumstances. Extremely windy days would be the best chance and I still don't like it. If you can keep those stinking does from snorting that ups the odds also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:30 am

Studying buck beds makes me think that most people would be shocked to know how many deer they bump while accessing...
1st off, I learn all the bedding and have a planned access to try and avoid satalite beds.
If that don't work, sometimes bedding can be stopped by blocking certain beds (works better with buck beds than doe beds) so they only use the ones you want them too...
Lastly, if you expect to jump satalite deer, go in early and let the area have time to settle down after spooking them. I have seen success after bumping lesser deer.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:11 am

I jumped a doe one time that ran directly into the bedding area i was hunting. I thought it was all over from there. But i settled in and sundown i heard a deer walking back out from the same trail. Thought for sure it would be the doe. I did'nt even raise the bow. Before ithe knew it. I had a nice 8 point walking by.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:42 am

Swampthing wrote:I jumped a doe one time that ran directly into the bedding area i was hunting. I thought it was all over from there. But i settled in and sundown i heard a deer walking back out from the same trail. Thought for sure it would be the doe. I did'nt even raise the bow. Before ithe knew it. I had a nice 8 point walking by.

Good point..... During the rut if you bump a doe and she runs into the bedding area you are targeting, not all is lost every time. The buck you are after could easily be a mile away and not aware of your intrusion. It is much more critical early season on feeding patterns, this is for sure.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:30 am

Swampthing wrote:Your right for sure on the swamp bedding. It seems to be a neverending bedding area. I will go home and up-load my beds on google and its amazing how many beds will be there.

I sometimes fund hundreads of beds in one small swamp, it can drive a hunter crazy at times.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:44 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:This is a big problem in some areas I hunt and other well populated areas. You have your buck beds scouted properly. You go try to sneak in to your spot and there are many many deer bedded between here and there, spooking, running, snorting and ultimately alerting the buck your after far before you're close enough for an encounter in daylight. I tend to avoid hunting these types of spots to reduce the risk of damaging future hunting in the area and wait till the bucks are on their feet more during shooting hours and traveling further from their bed. What do you guys do to avoid this problem?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

If you use the search feature at the top there are a lot of posts about this subject. I searched "satellite" and found this one, among others:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6673&p=166045#p166045
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:22 am

How about blowing on a grunt tube OR clucking on a turkey call when you alert a deer?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:06 pm

GRFox wrote:How about blowing on a grunt tube OR clucking on a turkey call when you alert a deer?

That might work when a deer hears you make a noise... But when they jump up from a bed, they generally already have you figured out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”