Beds in relation to water

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Beds in relation to water

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 am

Here is a map of a bed I found relating to water. The Blue is a man made pond, not sure why the thing was shaped like it is. But the buck bed is right on the inside corner. there are a few trees and some red brush there, with a nice little hump for the bed. I haven't figured out why and when the deer beds there. It is not used with any regularity that I can tell.Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 30, 2012 10:45 am

headgear wrote:I am finding several of those overlooked lake and pond areas doing some computer scouting, lots of potential out there I have yet to discover.

Dan would you say low to no ducking hunting pressure is a key ingredient in lake/pond bedding? I scouted a lot of lake/pond areas before I found good buck sign, seems like any place the duck hunters used the bucks didn't. The one area I found next to a lake is closed to duck hunting so that might explain the bucks calling it home.

I don't see a lot of great lake beds, but like the one mentioned, I see a few... The one mentioned, I kicked several deer out of last year and was doing some shooting, when I noticed a duck hunter was set up along the pond only about 75 yards from where the buck busted. I also was hunting a marsh island during gun season once and saw two guys zigzaging thru the cattails trying to bust deer. They got to the edge of the pond and jumped a nice 8 pointer and started shooting. Suddenly there was a lot of yelling and two guys stood up on the edge of the pond in camo. They were duck hunting and neither I nor those hunters new they were there... I do think duck hunting pressure puts a damper on the bedding, but the deer might get used to them to some degree... In this case, I think gun pressure which is pretty intense here, may have pushed those bucks out farther than normal... Not sure though.
I am sure that duck hunting in camo should close during the regular 9 day gun season though... :lol:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 am

bump
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 am

I did a lot of scouting this year on a big public Lake/reservoir area. The area had typical hill country points extending out on the lake, but the deer did not use these "points" like you would think. I'm guessing these bedding areas were avoided because the lake presented an escape problem for the deer. I ended up finding the better bedding areas close to public roads that weren't exactly easy to access :D
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue May 21, 2013 8:58 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17189&hilit=lake+point+bedding

Here's the initial thread I started prior to scouting. I thought maybe the deer would use the area much like typical Hill Country. I was wrong in this instance... :lol:
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue May 21, 2013 9:08 am

The bucks I see bedded on creeks/rivers are typically in oxbows as Dan showed in his post... the best way to make them better if you own the land is to drop some trees close to the creek/river in one of the oxbows. Thickness and remoteness in a U shaped bend of a river or creek screams buck bed. The other bonus is deer typically cross in these areas as well from one side of the creek to the other....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue May 21, 2013 9:47 am

Bucky wrote:The bucks I see bedded on creeks/rivers are typically in oxbows as Dan showed in his post... the best way to make them better if you own the land is to drop some trees close to the creek/river in one of the oxbows. Thickness and remoteness in a U shaped bend of a river or creek screams buck bed. The other bonus is deer typically cross in these areas as well from one side of the creek to the other....

Great point bucky. Easy to create or improve bedding where they "want" to bed...
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:31 am

This post directly relates to the terrain I hunt 90% of the time. One question for you river bottom experts - Do you find evaluation in the river/creek bends to be a factor in bedding?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 am

cbigbear wrote:This post directly relates to the terrain I hunt 90% of the time. One question for you river bottom experts - Do you find evaluation in the river/creek bends to be a factor in bedding?

deleted post, misread the statement
Last edited by Black Squirrel on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:08 am

cbigbear wrote:This post directly relates to the terrain I hunt 90% of the time. One question for you river bottom experts - Do you find evaluation in the river/creek bends to be a factor in bedding?

I'm no river bottom expert but I have found quite a few beds in creek or river bends.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:23 am

It certainly could... But thinking back most of the oxbow beds I have found have been on fairly flat land. I can only think of one that was elevated and was bedded in relation to thermals.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Bump for new scouting season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Great bump!! Love this subject. I have noticed that there is a MAJOR lack of buck beds on points near OPEN water. I think they are far more likely to run 100 yards out into cattails and stand, rather than swim across the wide open water. I can only think of one time I saw a buck swim to escape pressure, and it was late summer in a state park (aka refuge). He was cornered on a point and basically had no other option.

I have a story that might open a few eyes and minds... although I view this as extremely rare. :think:

When I was probably 14, my Dad and I headed out for the Youth waterfowl opener. I'm guessing it was early September, as I know for a fact bowhunting wasn't in season yet. I think shooting time was after daybreak, possibly even noon on opening day. We sat and killed time at the slew edge before we headed out to set our dekes. We talked for a half hour or more. When we went wading in, we were knee deep 20-30 yards in, and all the sudden something started crashing and bounding thru the water around us, toward shore! :shock: Obviously it had to be a deer, so we went over to where the sound originated from. There it was... a deer bed on a muskrat house!

It had to be a monster swamp buck. The crazy thing was, there was no good deer habitat anywhere around. Not even a grove within a mile. It was wide open minus a public CRP field and open slew near by. The bucks bed was probably 3/4 mile off the road in a 2 mile x 2 mile section, which is pretty rare around here.

Dad hunted him a few times but never saw him. I'm sure us duck hunting that slew through out the year was why.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:43 am

What about points of land jutting into large lake like backwater pond areas? This spot I jumped 2 deer at the red dot. They ran in the direction of the arrow to the other side...amd fast. Couldn't confirm doe or bucks. There was a rub in the area but not sure it was a rut rub or bed rub. The wind was North northeast. The purple areas are where I found tracks. When it doesn't rain, it's mostly muck with only a little bit of water. Maybe a foot or at most 2 in the very middle. In the slews you only need rubber boots.

So do you guys think they will only bed and travel like this when the water is low or will they still bed and travel when it has more water in it?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:59 am

Just to clarify, the wind would be blowing from the land side of the oxbow? Would the buck face the direction of the river, or the toward the land since it's unlikely a predator would approach from the water without being heard?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”