Bear proof deer attractants??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Bear proof deer attractants??

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:11 pm

Is there any type of deer attractant out there that won't bring in bears? Thinking about setting a few cams out up north and really don't want to attract bears. Bears are like pigs and will eat darn near anything but theres got to be something out there that will appeal to deer only??

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
bpaulson

Re: Bear proof deer attractants??

Unread postby bpaulson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Unfortunately bears will eat almost anything and haven't found an attractant thats deer only. When I used to rifle hunt in Northern WI I used a lot of acorns with some success. They would still eat some but not as much as just corn. In the fall I used to lay tarps around my parents yard under the trees to catch the acorns. I'd have quite a few 5 gallon buckets full to bring up there since we only went up once a month.

The people I hunted with had huge corn piles and then would dump buck jam over it, lets just say they weren't pleased when a bear would be laying in the pile every night.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:13 am

yeah, even the basics wont deter them. I had out a $3 cattle salt block last year, a bear picked it up and took it.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:04 am

Good question.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:36 am

Theres got to be a mineral block or liquid attractant that bears won't eat??? Maybe there isn't??

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
MEhunter

Unread postby MEhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:10 am

Bears are tough to keep away. Can't tell you how many pics I have of them in my mock scarpes! Doesn't seem to bother the deer any though...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:44 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Theres got to be a mineral block or liquid attractant that bears won't eat??? Maybe there isn't??

When you find one let us know.........I haven't found anything that a bear doesn't come and check out. My mock scrapes would be investigated by bear but seems once the bear was there the same bear didn't keep coming back. Never really became a problem to the deer that I could tell.

When minerals were legal in WI mine were major bear attractants. ( I used a "homemade" powder mix) Don't think the bear were every really eating the mineral (never got any pics of them doing it) but my theory was they would back track the does that came in to their hidden newborn fawns.

The mineral blocks with corn and molassis smashed all together.....all became bear chew toys. :lol: Don't use those if you don't want bear in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”