Rubber boots........ why ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Rubber boots........ why ?

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:30 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:Water issues, I like to walk up small creeks when possible. Less noise, less ground scent

Ok, I get the water issue, I don't have to deal with that much in hill country.....

but why " less ground scent " ?

Cause by wearing the boot that enables me to walk in the water Im not leaving scent, its washing down the creek. :shhh:

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am

I dont have a single spot that I hunt that I dont have to cross some type of water or go through a swampy area. I can get away with leather boots some places, and a good pair of leathers are waterproof, but the average rubber boot gives you more height then leathers.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am

Schultzy wrote:In my opinion rubber boots don't have the human scent on them that regular leather boots have. I've watched deer come out of their skin when they hit my walk In trail when wearing leather boots compared to rubber boots. I can't recall a time where I saw a deer bust after hitting my walk In trail wearing rubber boots. I've saw them get a tad nervous but never bust.

[tab=30] I agree I think the leather and laces absorb alot of human odor. Had a mature buck hit my walkin trail off a fenceline in ankle to below knee grass wearing leather boots once.He was over 150 yards away from my stand and I was downwind of him.When he hit my trail he did a 360 and busted *** back where he came from.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:30 am

I think it's part of the small things you can do to help yourself out. Knee high rubber boots with the pant legs tucked in leave way less scent on the ground than leather lace up boots. If your pant legs aren't tucked in you are spewing scent onto the ground every step of the way. Rubber boots also smell like rubber. Lots of deer encounter rubber smells from tires everyday. I think this is one of the benefits of rubber boots.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:59 am

Most of my spots require rubber boots because of bogs, streams, etc but I like putting my semi-perm stands up with good leather boots on for safety reasons. I feel much less likely to slip etc while positioning ladder steps and stand. I carry the leather boots in by pack while wearing the rubber boots.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:02 am

whitetail007 wrote:i really dont have a choice, every place i hunt has some type of water to cross.

;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 am

Schultzy wrote:In my opinion rubber boots don't have the human scent on them that regular leather boots have. I've watched deer come out of their skin when they hit my walk In trail when wearing leather boots compared to rubber boots. I can't recall a time where I saw a deer bust after hitting my walk In trail wearing rubber boots. I've saw them get a tad nervous but never bust.

I typically only wear rubber boots if I have to cross water - not comfortable and sweaty. I like to wear my nice Lowa Banffs if at all possible.

FWIW, I have never noticed a difference in the deer's reaction to my trail. For instance, I had a nice 2 or 3 y/o cut my trail in the dark this year. This was just after I crossed a muck hole in my rubber boots which should have taken care of any scent on the boots up to my ankle. The buck stood in front of me at 15 yards sniffing my tracks on bare ground. Last year, I had a nice 9 or 10 point cross my trail on a public spot in the late season. I was wearing leather boots and this public spot gets tore up during rifle season. This buck didn't seem to mind my tracks :think:

IMO if they are going to catch your trail, I really don't think it matters if you are wearing rubber boots or not. Although, I keep all my boots packed away with cedar branches, including my leather boots.
"In the deed, the glory"
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:40 am

to stay dry, otherwise they stink. Mucks are so uncomfortable I would like to sue the chineese for making them
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:08 pm

I always wear rubber boots unless I am in an area thats dry with rattle snakes, then I wear my rocky snake boots (Wyoming etc). Otherwise I wear rubber boots, I think they help with scent, offer more support because they are taller, and I find them a lot warmer. I also don't worry about getting them muddy because it comes right off with a garden hose. The leather ones can be a super chore to clean and with the rubber ones I can step in cow pies to help cover my scent on the farm I hunt.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Whats a good affordable pair?

Mine have holes and its time for a new pair. I got some pretty bad frost bit this winter because water came in and froze around my feet. I didnt notice anything at the time because I was warm from trudging around in the snow.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:19 pm

ozzz wrote:Whats a good affordable pair?

Mine have holes and its time for a new pair. I got some pretty bad frost bit this winter because water came in and froze around my feet. I didnt notice anything at the time because I was warm from trudging around in the snow.

I love my Lacrosse alpha burleys, I have used two pairs and loved them both. I have also heard good things about Irish setter, I know they make a pair thats easier to get on and off now. Muck boots are super comfy from what I have heard, but not always as durable with the neoprene. Personally I would be too hard on a pair of mucks. In warm weather any walmart or farm and fleet pair will do.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Mucks are so uncomfortable I would like to sue the chineese for making them

Surprised to hear that Lou. Not that I love the fact they are made in China but I find my Mucks are by far the most comfortable rubber boots I have ever owned. Just wish they were more durable but I am pretty hard on my boots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Dewey wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Mucks are so uncomfortable I would like to sue the chineese for making them

Surprised to hear that Lou. Not that I love the fact they are made in China but I find my Mucks are by far the most comfortable rubber boots I have ever owned. Just wish they were more durable but I am pretty hard on my boots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

A few years back I went into Bass Pro and said do you have a pair of waterproof boots. A sales rep said have you ever heard of gore-tex, insulted I said give me your best pair. He took his best attempt. He said, He has not had a pair of gore-tex leak and to bring them back if they did.

I obliged, took his best pair and saw him in a couple weeks, then in a couple weeks, then in a couple weeks. Then I said, I think I have proven my point, you are off the hook, and I started wearing rubber boots. I did a lot of pressure washing in my job. In fairness a pair of USA redwings would only last at best 6 months, china stuff 2 weeks tops. I went to rubber and have dry feet, but my feet hurt. I cant stand china, cant stand the uncomfortable boots that are forced on us. And that is where I am speaking from
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 am

Uncle Lou wrote:

I obliged, took his best pair and saw him in a couple weeks, then in a couple weeks, then in a couple weeks. Then I said, I think I have proven my point, you are off the hook, and I started wearing rubber boots. I did a lot of pressure washing in my job. In fairness a pair of USA redwings would only last at best 6 months, china stuff 2 weeks tops. I went to rubber and have dry feet, but my feet hurt.

Ever use those inserts you cut to fit in the bottom Lou? They make arch supports and the gellin kind. I use them all the time and they make all boots comfortable. Rubber boots are the most uncomfortable boots I have ever wore.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:49 am

ozzz wrote:Whats a good affordable pair?

Either Alpha burlys or Muck boots. You'll have to try them on and see which fits your foot better. AB's didn't fit me worth a darn, but Muck boots were the ticket.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”