Favorite whitetail DIY states?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Favorite whitetail DIY states?

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Been researching quite a few different states already this year for a DIY whitetail hunt this fall. Please list some of your favorite's (even if its your home state) and a couple reasons to why you like hunting there. So far I've researched WI, NE, KY, and IL. thanks guys

When better is possible, good is never good enough
HuntMeister

Re: Favorite whitetail DIY states?

Unread postby HuntMeister » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 pm

I think OH would be an awesome destination for a DIY hunt. I have not hunted there yet but did some research. Pretty good amount of public ground and the license fees are VERY reasonable plus there are some giants roaming OH.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:09 pm

I like South Dakota or Nebraska. Tags are easy to get if you are bowhunting and there is plenty of public land. I only hunted mulies in each of them but depending on where I was whitetail were plentiful.

I saw tons of whitetail in the Black Hills of SD including many very nice bucks. One of these years I want to make a trip back out there to hunt whitetail. The scenery is unbelievable!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] [img]../images/mobile/iPhone.png[/img]
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:15 pm

For me it would be Missouri.
Fairly close to home and a three buck state. 8-)

Only 145 folks shot three there last season....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Minnesota is my favorite with so much public land in the north and close to my home in Wis. Have heard a lot of good about S and N.Dakota but Minnesota and Wis use up all my time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:54 pm

I want to do Iowa but need a lot more time working on it. I have also heard nothing but good for North and South Dakota. I want to try any state I have never been to, one of my goals is to kill a big game animal in every one of the 50 states, it will probably never happen, but a guy can dream.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:25 am

Hope your dream comes true Brad......that would be awesome. I always wanted to take a summer and visit all the major league ball parks
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:37 am

For a WI guy Michigan's UP is close, tags are OTC and there is some unbelievable scenery. G3s even shoots big bucks up there. But for trophy hunting there are much better states, just dont know about price of tags and of other states.

I have been to NE for Dec MZ season, it was a OTC tag kinda. You had to purchase it online before you got there. I looked at SD last year online, and got confused. I agree with Dewey though the Black Hills are awesome. I spent most of a summer there in 1989, doing my geology field camp and would love to go back.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 am

Dewey wrote:I like South Dakota or Nebraska. Tags are easy to get if you are bowhunting and there is plenty of public land. I only hunted mulies in each of them but depending on where I was whitetail were plentiful.

I saw tons of whitetail in the Black Hills of SD including many very nice bucks. One of these years I want to make a trip back out there to hunt whitetail. The scenery is unbelievable!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] [img]../images/mobile/iPhone.png[/img]

X2 for South Dakota! Yes Uncle Lou the online licensing is confusing!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 am

Brad Lamont wrote:I want to do Iowa but need a lot more time working on it. I have also heard nothing but good for North and South Dakota. I want to try any state I have never been to, one of my goals is to kill a big game animal in every one of the 50 states, it will probably never happen, but a guy can dream.

Brad, I am starting to build the points this year. Its going to take 4 years to be ready, 3 years of points, 1 year of application.

I figure gives me 4 years to...

Save the money
Find the places to hunt
Figure out all the details

I think a point is $50. One thing I found out quick was they want proof of your hunter education. I hadnt seen my card in years and had to contact the state to get a new one which cost me $10.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:59 am

Looking at Ohio for next year, but would love to do North Dakota, or Nebraska too. I would burn up a lot of time driving to and from though.

I dont know about any of these states personally but I know what i have heard, and ND and NE seem to be the hidden gems.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:01 am

I really enjoy Minnesota, and Ohio...they are both great hunts. My favorite is still the Upper Peninsula though...I love the big wood/swamps experience and solitude I can find there
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:05 am

G3s wrote:I really enjoy Minnesota, and Ohio...they are both great hunts. My favorite is still the Upper Peninsula though...I love the big wood/swamps experience and solitude I can find there

SHHHHH!
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:54 pm

I've been lucky enough to go to a lot of statesdiy over the years. Heres how Iwould rank them solely based on shooting a big buck, not priice & stuff. IA, KS, IL, NE, OH. As for NE a sleeper it isn't anymore, at least not in the south cen, south east part of the state, there are a ton of out of staters that hunt there now compared to 5 years ago, the northern part isn't as bad from what I hear. Also I haven't been to KS since they really opened up their tags I've heard pressure is way up. The problem out there is there isn't tons of cover so a few people can blow a place up. IL is good but not much public ground.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:56 am

I am going with my home state of Wisconsin because you have the farm country, the western bluffs, and the northwoods of northern Wisconsin. Each presents me with different challanges and keeps hunting fresh. The only thing I can't stand is the CWD zones down in the southern part of the state.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”