Post season scouting, scouting out the other hunters.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckfever
500 Club

Post season scouting, scouting out the other hunters.

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:39 pm

This might be something that's only applicable to the public. But for me this time of the year is the time to do it. The folliage is down so much can be covered quickly, the cut lanes still look fresh, cuttings are readily identified. Climber or stick markings on the bark is easy to ascertain and things are open so topographically, you can see how the terrain features relate to their setup. And you can readily see the pressure response, by looking at how the trails skirted the sets. You can also often from the lanes determine the height of the stand and position of stand. Also how they get there. That gives you info as to the intelligence of your hunting competition and shows you the hurdle you'll have to overcome, gives you some idea the degree to which the herd has been educated.

I think if you throw this into the mix with the rest of your scouting it gives you a better handle on how and when to play the hand.

Ack

Re: Post season scouting, scouting out the other hunters.

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:12 pm

I was out scouting a new spot the other day and came across probably 6-7 stands/sticks still out on the public land. You're right....it's a good time to get out there and see where everyone else is sitting, because you can usually bet on most guys sitting in the same spot year after year. If I can find them now it just makes it that much easier come season deciding where I don't want to be hunting.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Buckfever wrote:This might be something that's only applicable to the public. But for me this time of the year is the time to do it. The folliage is down so much can be covered quickly, the cut lanes still look fresh, cuttings are readily identified. Climber or stick markings on the bark is easy to ascertain and things are open so topographically, you can see how the terrain features relate to their setup. And you can readily see the pressure response, by looking at how the trails skirted the sets. You can also often from the lanes determine the height of the stand and position of stand. Also how they get there. That gives you info as to the intelligence of your hunting competition and shows you the hurdle you'll have to overcome, gives you some idea the degree to which the herd has been educated.

I think if you throw this into the mix with the rest of your scouting it gives you a better handle on how and when to play the hand.

Excellent point. It's one of those things when scouting don't stay focused on the ground all the time looking for sign. Be aware of your surroundings as you walk. Alot of times people will only look around once they find a bed or sign and not so much on the way. I agree with you also this is the best time to actually scout the other hunters alot if people are sloppy. They cut their lanes and leave the clippings lay. They don't think to haul them off a ways or spread them out to make it less obvious. They don't think about the stand sets and if it marks up the trees to give their location away. Also good observation on being able to tell what kind of hunter they are by their sets.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:05 am

Orange ribbon trails give most of the hunters away by me! I stay clear of those spots! Anywhere near a drivable road by me is going to have hunters. Very few actually hunt deep in the woods for fear of getting lost or bears eating them. Most gun hunters literally hunt within sight of their vehicles.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:28 am

Most of the stands I find on public land are set on the highground, facing downhill on a ravine.

Or

On a highground oak flat that has no security cover at all.

And

Most of the time those set-ups are only 400-600 yards from the road.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:31 am

virginiashadow wrote:Most of the stands I find on public land are set on the highground, facing downhill on a ravine.

Or

And

I agree!!

Obsession Bows
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:35 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:Most of the stands I find on public land are set on the highground, facing downhill on a ravine.

Or

And

I agree!!

So, I move in deeper, find the thicker cover on the topography that makes the deer feel a little more comfortable moving during daylight hours, and kill them. The drag out is usually heck for me, but that is all part of the game and the deer where I hunt are little things anyways. Now for mature bucks, I have nothind to add. However, I am a 2.5 year old public land archery hunting machine! hahahahaha
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37 am

He who can consistently bring down 2 year old bucks on heavily hunted public, is one heck of a hunter in my book!

Obsession Bows
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 am

Another sign to look for is trash left behind. You can tell how recent the cans or bottles are wether it was this past season or years ago.

One of the local public areas has 2 quota gun hunts per year. One in late October and one in late November. The tendancyfor most of the hunters is to hunt until 8-8:30 and then walk around. In some areas you can tell they get more activity than others by the trash you find on the ground.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”