Controlled burn?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

darenative

Controlled burn?

Unread postby darenative » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Anybody ever had a controlled burn in their marsh?

My favorite piece of ground is about to go under the match as soon as the weather conditions permit.

This piece hasn't been burned in my lifetime, so I'm not to sure what to expect next season. :think:

muddy

Re: Controlled burn?

Unread postby muddy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:31 pm

I'd expect everything to be very similar to the last season. It'll burn off, it'll grow back up, deer will still be there come fall. Actually probably more deer as the new growth will attract them for the new green browse.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:35 pm

100 percent with Muddy
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:36 pm

muddy wrote:I'd expect everything to be very similar to the last season. It'll burn off, it'll grow back up, deer will still be there come fall. Actually probably more deer as the new growth will attract them for the new green browse.

X2

I actually look forward to certain areas getting burned since it does improve hunting and thins some of the cattail choked areas. It looks pretty bad right after the burn but greens up very rapidly.
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:56 pm

The area in question is about 75% salt marsh with the remainder being your typical freshwater marsh.
I know the salt marsh will take longer to regrow, but hope you guys are right about the freshwater marsh.
With all the activity in the area from cutting fire breaks, the daytime deer activity has taken a nose dive.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”