What Makes You Better?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: What Makes You Better?

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:25 am

I am average or below, love to be in the woods. I have MS , so that has slowed me down big time. Wish I had this knowledge and access to knowledgeable hunters, 20 yrs ago. Will be 47 this coming month. Hope I can put a few down before I am to old. Cant wait to pass the knowledge to my three grandsons. I think I will get more joy out of that,then killing a huge buck out of his bed.

blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:47 am

Lots of scouting, finding out of the way places that require hard work to get to and picking the right stand locations in those spots. Finally, Persistence. At least this is what works for public land hunting. My hunts are the culmination of countless hours of scouting, map studying etc. Even with all that, a little luck helps! But for overall end results, hard work pays off to put you in a better position than Joe average to take a nice buck more consistantly. I enjoy the challenge to find a good spot and taking a nice buck is the ultimate goal but just being out there and seeing them is a high. I am constantly "pushing" myself to hone in the fine points which can make or break a hunt. Every year is a learning experience. I pay a lot of attention to entrance and exit from stand sites to minimize "educating" the deer or overhunting stands. So, I am not the best hunter, but I try to improve and learn from my mistakes every year.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 am

magicman54494 wrote:I believe my success is due to the fact that I am passionate about hunting big deer.
I don't judge my success against other people so I'll let other people decide how good I am. :D
I will say that I'm not as good as the bucks I chase and they are good at making me humble. Grrrr......

This is it right here. Well said Magicman. Passion and desire. I have a simple love of just being out there scouting and hunting, shooting big bucks is just the icing on the cake.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:45 am

Man, what a loaded question......is baiting legal in NY, SPYSAR. Think I'll leave it at that.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:55 am

Tadmdad wrote:Man, what a loaded question......is baiting legal in NY, SPYSAR. Think I'll leave it at that.

I agree, a well placed bait, if I may say so. :) It has already worked. Lol. Go back a few posts............

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:31 am

paying attention to the smallest of details, being persistent and the right attitude puts me miles ahead of alot of hunters i know.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 am

I am not really sure...combination of things would make me better than most. The number one factor would be I LOVE to bowhunt, love it. I have a lot to work on to become a better big buck hunter, but as a deer hunter I feel pretty solid about my approach and my results as compared to others in my area.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 am

Location, location, location..... To add, Some people have jobs that allow what seems like endless time hunting, $ of course is factor, wife/kid situations that again allow endless chances hunting....hunting multiple states, etc....

A lot of factors play into this one.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:29 pm

I dont think money, time and location makes anyone a better hunter. It'll help them put down better bucks...but it usually eliminates the need to become a better hunter.

Having OCPD and a photographic memory would help, lol.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm

I think I am an average hunter that spends more time in the woods than most.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:14 pm

More time to hunt...more time in a tree....more things happen.
More $ to hunt multiple states.....more things happen. That's logical.

One can have the love, desire and all the drive in the world to deer hunt but if you don't have the time to spend in a tree....the results will be lacking. Being a "better hunter" than the next is merely a personal gauge, nothing more. Unless a list of criteria are set, it's one man's opinion.

Look at tv pro's. Yes, they have prime land. But what else? 70-100 days to spend in a tree.

str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:16 pm

I don't feel that I'm an above average hunter, but I have experienced above average success on mature bucks. I'm fortunate to live and hunt in an area where there are mature deer and that's a big part of it. Living right where I hunt is a huge plus too, as I'm able to see what the deer are doing everyday of the year. I put my time in scouting every spring, searching for sheds and learning about the deer I hunt and I feel that is where my biggest step towards success has came from. Understanding the wind in the coulee country that I hunt ranks right up there too. I grew up hunting flat land and it took me quite a few years and lots of trial and error to figure out what the wind was going to do on the lands I hunt.

The last few years I hunt much less, but have mature deer within range on a greater percentage of the hunts. Like Dan said hunting the right spots at the right time has helped me capitolize.
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:I dont think money, time and location makes anyone a better hunter. It'll help them put down better bucks...but it usually eliminates the need to become a better hunter.

Having OCPD and a photographic memory would help, lol.

I like this post. I think in some cases if you got money and lots of land you make yourself a worse hunter by sticking with the gimmicks and what you see on tv. I know a guy that has a TON of prime land and has he shot any big bucks the last 3 years? No. When he's got a DOZEN shooter bucks on trail cam? Early season even. I think he plays too much into the scent control and gimmicks that it actually hurts the way he should be hunting.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Stump wrote:More time to hunt...more time in a tree....more things happen.
More $ to hunt multiple states.....more things happen. That's logical.

I agree 100% that these things could/should lead to more opportunitys ;)

But does it truly make me a better hunter....or does it just make my trophy room look better?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Zap wrote:When you take the prime rut (November, here) out of the equation the list of good hunters gets alot smaller.

Not agreeing with this at all, almost sounds like a jab at someone(s).

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”