Your hunting rig

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
xpauliber
500 Club

Your hunting rig

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:27 pm

I have a Lone Wolf sit & climb that I've used for the past 5 seasons and I love it for all day sits and versatility. Once I bought Dan's videos and joined the beast, I learned alot of people use lock on stands and climbing sticks. I want to get more mobile this coming season and not have to worry about finding a tree with no limbs. So what is the best system to use? What make & model and how many sticks do I need?

Also, where is the best place to buy and what is a reasonable price?

Thanks beasts!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

ompaathao

Re: Your hunting rig

Unread postby ompaathao » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:42 pm

I found a guy in Craigslist.. He had an alpha 2 lone wolf hangon (used for one morning sit) and 3 sticks(again used for that morning) I paid $310.. He had 3 sets.. Was willing to sell one to me..And I also bought a brand new set of sticks from Illinois that a beast member posted they were on sale for $100 because they were a darker color..So all this were well close to $550 brand new and I paid $410.. Just got to be patient and shop around..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:34 pm

I have a Lone Wolf assault and sticks as my rover stand. Zap had an alpha stand for sale on the Beast classifieds. I don't know if he still has it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Stanley wrote:I have a Lone Wolf assault and sticks as my rover stand. Zap had an alpha stand for sale on the Beast classifieds. I don't know if he still has it.

I have a Alpha new in the box for sale as well in the classifieds!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
jlh42581
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jlh42581

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:19 am

Alpha, 4 sticks, gonna add a 5th
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:41 am

I use an assault and three sticks most often. I can get up about fifteen feet with it and in most trees. Depending on how high you want to sit will determine how many sticks you'll want. I also have an Alpha, which is the bigger platform and a bit more comfortable to hunt from but is a few pounds heavier. So you have options.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:48 am

I have the Assault and Alpha with four LW sticks. I use the Alpha 90 percent of the time; I like the bigger platform and its not much heavier.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:47 am

Alpha and 4 sticks...

Wish I could find an older assault though..
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:06 am

Bought my LW Alpha Hang-On and 3 LW Sticks after Christmas from Cabelas... 30% OFF!!! :shock: 8-)
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. I should have added a poll:

Which do you prefer: Alpha or Assault? :)
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:24 am

I know I'm gonna be the minority here but a guy on craigslist a long time ago had two Summit "Open Shot" climbers for sale for around $100 all together. I love them. They are rock solid in the tree and are as quiet as a metal stand could be I suppose. I really love how they have shortened arm rests but are more or less "open" in the front for a bow hunter. It's like a bow hunter designed it. I'm not really a huge fan of other Summit products but I hope these two stands last me forever.

VA
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:53 am

I hunt from a sling. It was a "tree suit" that I totally rebuilt. I haven't used anything else since I worked all the bugs out. I have used it for all day hunts many times. I use lone wolf sticks or strap on steps depending on what tree I use. It's extremely lightweight and quiet especially when walking thru the woods.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 am

I bought the sticks/alpha combo a few years ago and sold it after 2-3 sits. Don't get me wrong, I love LW stands. I own three of them, currently (incl. another alpha hang-on).

I just couldn't figure out a way to set up, safely....without inducing a sweat-fest. And, my family appreciates me coming home to them.

I use the LW climbers 90% of my hunts. I'll use the alpha hang-on in a few dedicated spots next year where I'll already have pegs and a strap hung.
Lateral Bowhunter
jlh42581
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jlh42581

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:14 am

VA5326 wrote:I know I'm gonna be the minority here but a guy on craigslist a long time ago had two Summit "Open Shot" climbers for sale for around $100 all together. I love them. They are rock solid in the tree and are as quiet as a metal stand could be I suppose. I really love how they have shortened arm rests but are more or less "open" in the front for a bow hunter. It's like a bow hunter designed it. I'm not really a huge fan of other Summit products but I hope these two stands last me forever.

VA

I owned that stand, actually sold mine on CL for a wolf climber, which i sold too lol. Thats the best stand summit makes
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:27 am

LW hand climber (my favorite stand)
LW Alpha and Assault with 4 sticks,
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”