Anybody shoot fingers?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
rochester coops

Anybody shoot fingers?

Unread postby rochester coops » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:41 am

Hey guys, next yr I'm pretty serious about shooting my compound with fingers or going traditional. Any compound shooters here that shoot fingers? What kind of rest do you use? I've got a biscuit on now, don't know if that would be good enough or not.

PLB
500 Club

Re: Anybody shoot fingers?

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:52 am

rochester coops wrote:Hey guys, next yr I'm pretty serious about shooting my compound with fingers or going traditional. Any compound shooters here that shoot fingers? What kind of rest do you use? I've got a biscuit on now, don't know if that would be good enough or not.

I think the biscuit is excellent for fingers! I would not change rests.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:34 am

I haven't shot fingers for years. When shooting fingers you need an open style rest like a flipper & button. The enclosed style rests will have too much arrow contact for fingers. The arrow bends horizontally off the string when shooting fingers, takes a different style rest than one for a release shooter. The traditional guys should have a handle on some rests that are available for fingers.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 am

If I were going to shoot fingers with a compound, I'd look for two things:

1. Compound with AT LEAST a 40" ATA
2. Flipper type rest.

A containment rest will affect the paradox. I'm not sure you'd ever be truly consistent. You're going to need different arrows than the ones you're currently shooting, also (I'm betting).

Good luck.
Lateral Bowhunter
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:10 am

I started out shooting fingers about twenty some years ago, loved it. Then I was talked into shooting a release. The release has served me well but I'm thinking about getting a setup for fingers.
You guys are right, it takes different equipment. A longer axle to axle bow to minimize any finger pinch, (think about the angle at full draw). As well as the arrow flight which does require a different rest as stated.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:11 am

Back when I shot compound I always shot fingers. I used a flipper rest. Pretty simple stuff. Good luck with your new adventure!!
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Look up the Team Fitzgerald on You Tube. Guy Fitzgerald does a piece on shooting fingers with a compound, a short axle bow at that.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Been shooting with fingers for over 25 years and I'm not sure if I'll ever switch. I enjoy the challenge and just feel more "connected" to the bow than with a release.

I would stick with the Biscuit......many of the traditionalists will say that it won't work with fingers, but it actually works very well if you have good form. I've been shooting one since 2005 and get excellent arrow flight.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:11 am

Ack:

I'm not going to say it won't work. That would be an insult. Obviously, it works for you. I'm just going to ask a question, so that you can help me (and others maybe looking to do this) understand how it works.

At release, the string rolls off the fingers. For a traditional archer, this is the beginning of the archer's paradox. It all works fine (if you're spined correctly), due to the sideplate/spine/DW/DL/arrow length marriage.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're shooting a really stiff (for your setup) arrow.
Lateral Bowhunter
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:49 am

JV NC wrote:Ack:

I'm not going to say it won't work. That would be an insult. Obviously, it works for you. I'm just going to ask a question, so that you can help me (and others maybe looking to do this) understand how it works.

At release, the string rolls off the fingers. For a traditional archer, this is the beginning of the archer's paradox. It all works fine (if you're spined correctly), due to the sideplate/spine/DW/DL/arrow length marriage.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're shooting a really stiff (for your setup) arrow.

You are correct......I should by all means be shooting a Maxima 250 out of my setup, but I use the 350's for several reasons. First, they are slightly heavier, which reduces bow noise and gives me a little more KE. Second, the extra stiffness recovers quicker on the shot with my setup. Third, they just tuned a lot easier than the 250's. I have shot the 250's before and they shot fine, but they were noticeably noisier at the shot and a little more finicky to tune. With all that said, the Biscuit does give some side pressure.....not a lot, but enough to support the shaft that I use.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:54 am

Thanks.....and thanks for not taking that the wrong way. I was simply curious.

Good luck!
Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:56 am

Ack wrote:Been shooting with fingers for over 25 years and I'm not sure if I'll ever switch. I enjoy the challenge and just feel more "connected" to the bow than with a release.

I would stick with the Biscuit......many of the traditionalists will say that it won't work with fingers, but it actually works very well if you have good form. I've been shooting one since 2005 and get excellent arrow flight.

I agree, you can get anything to shoot. I know guys that used prong rests with fingers (seriously). I believe the biscuit would be a better choice than a prong rest. The biscuit kind of drags the back end of the arrow thus giving the arrow some direction correction. The dynamics of an arrow shot with fingers: the arrow bends around the rest during the shot thus giving feather to rest clearance. The biscuit kind of cheats this with all feather contact. So I can see how it would work.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 am

Sure, it'll work. It'll work better if:

1. You're over-spined.
2. You shoot a mechanical BH.
3. You limit your shots to close range.

But, there are some inherent problems with a full containment rest and shooting fingers. Yes, it'll work. Yes, there are better options.
Lateral Bowhunter
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:31 am

I shot fingers for years. I tried a release once and went back to fingers for a few more years. :mrgreen: I started with the flipper / plunger rest but changed to a bisquit when I first tried the release. When I went back to fingers I kept the bisquit. No problems at all. But I shot a heavy arrow with a very heavy broadhead. My speed wasn't that great but I've never been a speed fan anyway. Long range wasn't a problem either as long as I had plenty of clearance for the arch of the arrow. Go for it. Shootin fingers is fun.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:36 am

JV NC wrote:Sure, it'll work. It'll work better if:

1. You're over-spined.
2. You shoot a mechanical BH.
3. You limit your shots to close range.

But, there are some inherent problems with a full containment rest and shooting fingers. Yes, it'll work. Yes, there are better options.

Absolutely. Putting good, accurate information out there for consideration is as much as we can help. The choice is up to those given that information. I always tell everyone not to buy lottery tickets the odds are too poor. I never tell anyone that has won the lottery they shouldn't have bought the ticket.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”