Do you Use your Hunting vacation wisely

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigHunt

Do you Use your Hunting vacation wisely

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:36 am

so what are your guys plains for your vacation ....are you going to spread it out and hunt when needed ....or just blow it on one hole week or two of binge hunting during the rut...... :lol: i have three weeks of vacation , im going to spread it out not limiting my self to just one season and one tactic. i can also tell my boss the day before i want vacation and its no problem ;)
i plain on using it wisely ....... opening week of bow depending on the wind directions im most likely going to hunt my best spots during the week be for they get screwed with..... then ill be taking a week off to hunt the pre rut, then i usally just hunt the weekends for the main rut ......then my last week of vacation i use on gun deer hunting...

i usually go up to my cabin to hunt my bedding areas on opening week end of bow, but this year im tackling marsh hunting head on so i dont think ill make it ....i will get up there though i have some fanominal spots up there too :pray: i have a good feeling about theses spots in the marsh :pray:
Last edited by BigHunt on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
tim
500 Club

Re: Do you Use your vacation wisely

Unread postby tim » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:48 am

i think i take mine wisely, for the last 4 years i have taken 38 days off in a row. usually start between the 21-23 of october and go thru the end of gun season near the end of november here in wisconsin. it works for me. i hope i will have the same this year thats how i plan on taking it anyways. my wife is very understanding.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:52 am

tim wrote:i think i take mine wisely, for the last 4 years i have taken 38 days off in a row. usually start between the 21-23 of october and go thru the end of gun season near the end of november here in wisconsin. it works for me. i hope i will have the same this year thats how i plan on taking it anyways. my wife is very understanding.

thats cool man..... this inst a judge mental thread so ones jugging ..... its just cool to see who's the rut hunter and who's early season hunter on the forum
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:56 am

Do I use it wisely? Yes. I take vacation with my family. :D

If it works for you to do it your way....rock on!
Lateral Bowhunter
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 am

I take a big chunk in the rut. But if you can take half days, last fall I used some of them good morning moon days to have the woods to myself during the week. I can get two morning hunts for the price of one vacation day. I get a few days of the bird flu in the spring for birds, we have sick days too. I try to save a day or two (call in) til December just incase you have to track a deer from the night before.
You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 am

JV NC wrote:Do I use it wisely? Yes. I take vacation with my family. :D

If it works for you to do it your way....rock on!

right on man :music-rockon:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:02 am

I save mine for the rut...that seems to best time for me to score
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 am

I always liked to take 4 days off to get nine. We worked 9 hr days and had one Friday off every two weeks. I could do this in the summer for family vacation and during hunting season.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:19 am

I also have 3 weeks.. I usually save 7 days for family vacations.. 8 days for hunting.. And spread them out.. We usually get more hours from incentive programs and for each weekend day we work we get 1 hr vacation added.. Even if I get sick I'm at work...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 am

I take a week with family but still manage 2 week Sep elk trip about every other year and 2 weeks whitetail in the rut. I also use personal days to take more time with family. With about 5 weeks vacation now, it works out well, but took me 33 years to get this much time off. 2 more years and I get another week which will be spent with family. Retiring in 4-7 years at least semi-retiring.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:37 am

Early season I will probably just hunt weekends. I will take at least two weeks off in early November. If I get drawn for an Iowa tag I will do a 10 day rut hunt.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:55 am

I don't see any point in taking vacation until the rut when it's good all day. Early season evenings are deffinetly better for me so I hunt weekends and after work when its light till after 7:00.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:05 pm

I have 22 days of vacation and split them between musky fishing with my dad in the summer and bowhunting plus a one week trip with my wife somewhere. Never seems like enough days off.

We will eventually be going to four 10 hr days so I will have 3 day weekends. Looking forward to that very much.

Other than hunting weekends I plan to take off this year from Oct 26-Nov 10. Thinking about skipping gun hunting this year and adding those days to bowhunting instead. Gun hunted my whole life but just not getting any enjoyment out of it anymore.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I always take the first or second week of November off every year because I've never really hunted buck bedding areas before. Now that I am finding a few I might need to take a day or two earlier in the season.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:28 pm

The two years prior to selling my company I had 10 & 11 weeks off - pleanty of time for everyone...

Since selling I have a hard time with just 5 weeks.
I can usually take a handful of 4 or 5 day weekends and not get in trouble with the warden. ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”